It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:34 am 

Amazon.ca still lists it although it's in "Usually ships within 4 to 6 weeks" status. Amazon.com removed it a few weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:59 pm 

I purchased the DVD of I Wake Up Screaming today. The film is beautifully shot with really interesting use of skewed angles in certain sequences such as Christophe and his friends are drinking in the bar. Also the performances from Betty Grable and Victor Mature are captivating.
There is a deleted scene in which Grable is working as a salesgirl for a sheet music counter in a department store in which she sings a jazzy number entitled Daddy that is quite risque. I can see why this footage did not make into the film, more importantly this example of Fox's noir efforts demonstrates a further critique of the middle and upper classes in America at the time and their fascination with mass culture and popularity.
There also examples of the two different promotional materials for the film, it is interesting that the title the studio wished to use was Hot Spot. This title seems to be filled with sexual innuendos and attacks on American consumerism, this is why I believed the change the title to I Wake Up Screaming.
This is definitely one of the better films of the collection and well worth the 10 dollars I paid for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:26 pm 

Apparently nobody told Netflix not to stock BOOMERANG! as my copy shipped from them today. At least I'll get to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:27 pm 

Borders apparently got notice of the recall. Four Borders within a hundred miles of me still show it in stock, but I don't know if they have already pulled them from the shelves. The Borders I bought it at only had one copy last weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:16 am 

3 copies at my local Borders of Boomerang and I bought them all. One for me and 2 for friends without close access to any Borders stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:43 am 

what borders has everyone hit up? we should make a list of the stores that have been cleaned out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:46 am 

I doubt that Boomerang will ever be re-released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:24 am 

unless you want to secure it at a ridiculously inflated price off eBay.
Link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:11 am 

Here is the last ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... %3AIT&rd=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:12 am 

Guess it is giving Salo a run for it's money. I mean someone paying $204.50---- and this is just the beginnning. What will it be in a year from now, assuming - and most likely to be the case - that Fox loses the rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:26 am 
Voyeurising the voyeurs

viciousliar wrote:
unless you want to secure it at a ridiculously inflated price off eBay.
Link

Alas, checking their less than perfect feedback, they don't hold stock of the items they sell, and order in from suppliers when they get a purchase. Plenty of complaints of non-delivery. Too risky for my tastes, but after the insanity of that last auction, someone might fancy a roll of the dice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:36 pm 

I just got a message from the supplier that my order has been "delayed." You were right on the money on this one - I thought 80% + positive feedback would make it a fairly safe bet. You guys shy away from this seller(there are two, but they appear to be owned by the same party). Grrrrr. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:20 am 
wax on; wax off

what's the deal with amazon.com? They claim to ship Boomerang in 2-3 days.

edit: ordered it and found that they won't ship title until late August. Does this mean that they are of a proper release date after all or is this a limbo status for them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:27 am 

We can't be sure about it. Here is my experience: I pre-ordered Boomerang from DDD in early May. Its status switched to "backorder" in late May. Then, in mid-June I received an e-mail from DDD saying that the title was being discontinued and the order was cancelled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:56 pm 

I have it on very good authority that Fox is saying it expects to have the rights issues cleared up soon so that Boomerang can be released as planned. No guarantees, but there it is, for what it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:17 pm 

zone_resident wrote:
We can't be sure about it. Here is my experience:
I pre-ordered Boomerang from DDD in early May.
Its status switched to "backorder" in late May. Then, in mid-June
I received an e-mail from DDD saying that the title was being
discontinued and the order was cancelled.

I ordered the three latest releases (Boomerang, House of Strangers and I Wake Up Screaming)from DDD at the same time, and none of them have been sent out yet. When I innocently asked about the delay last week, they told me:

Quote:
The items are now in stock, the items will be shipping within the next few business days.

But I'll believe it when I see it. I don't have a lot of faith in DDD knowing what they're talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:50 am 

Boy O Boy if BOOMER gets its rights-knot untied, all those dweebos who paid $10,006 on ebay for Borders-secured discs of this mediocre noir are going to slit their wrists.

(Mediocre noir dept: man o manechewitz if I WAKE UP SCREAMING's plot & mise en scene could match its mindblowing cinematoghraphy by Cronjager, the thing would require a nuclear warning-sticker)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:18 am 

Hello Graf, take a look at

this - for your personal entertainment.

I was lucky enough to secure the damned Boomerang disc for less than $30 off eBay the other day, but evil me still hopes it won't be released. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:14 pm 

Most copies on eBay are getting $30 to $50. I can't figure out why the one (linked to on the previous page) that got over $200 went so differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:13 am 

Somebody should create a noir drinking game for every time "Over the Rainbow" is played in I Wake Up Screaming. Except for the constant repeating of that song and Victor Mature's crummy acting, it's a pretty good film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:19 pm 

In non-Boomerang news, the art and full specs are up for the August releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:22 pm 

In more Boomerang news, a member at the Home Theater Forum reported on July 2, "According to a source who is associated with FOX the film noir BOOMERANG is expected to be released shortly. I was told there was a problem with the print and that is why the DVD was pulled right before it was set to be released. I managed to get one of the copies which somehow slipped out. I haven't watched the DVD as yet but in reading an advanced review of this DVD that person stated the print looked fine so I can't imagine what the problem was. In any case I am sure FOX will exchange any defective copies of this DVD if there are any problems."

I watched the dvd about two weeks ago and it played with any problems. I did not notice any glaring print damage.

Last edited by thethirdman on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:19 pm 

I don't know about that. I have been told by people in the know that the problem was the legal issue regarding the film and not a faulty DVD transfer. Moreover, I have been advised that the DVD is unlikely to be released in the near-future.

I have checked all online DVD sellers, and there is no listing for an imminent release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:39 pm 

I agree, I never take anything from HTF very seriously, but I thought I would post it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:41 am 

It is obvious once you view the film, why there is such a legal issue. The close-up and framing of a certain individual insinuates guilt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next