It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:53 pm 

No, it's Henry Hathaway film.

Siodmak film is The Dark Mirror and it's Republic Pictures (currently Artisan/Lions Gate, soon to be by Paramount)

The Lodger is more likely the 1944 John Brahm version for Fox with Laird Cregar than it is the Hitchcock (though that would make a nice "extra"). Especially since it's owned by Fox and they will also release Hangover Square.

Looks like Laura took place of House of Bamboo - link here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:01 pm 

Could they play musical chairs with this batch of releases any more?

For the slow-witted among us (chiefly me), the titles now expected on March 15 are Laura, Panic in the Streets, and Call Northside 777.

No House of Bamboo or Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte for now (though those are the only two I really wanted).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:58 am 

Me too!!! I hope House of Bamboo doesn't just "disappear" from the line-up now!
Would it be too much to hope for a double feature with House of Bamboo and Crimson Kimono? (or even China Gate just to keep the Asian theme going?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:55 am 

dmkb wrote:
Me too!!! I hope House of Bamboo doesn't just "disappear" from the line-up now!
Would it be too much to hope for a double feature with House of Bamboo and Crimson Kimono? (or even China Gate just to keep the Asian theme going?)

Me three! And yes, it would be too much to hope. Sony (Columbia/Tri-Star) owns the Crimson Komono. Hey, anyone know which studio owns Verboten!, Warner or Sony?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:21 am 

Here's the cover for Laura and others. House of Bamboo may be coming in March after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:11 am 

Incredible first movie. I am dying to hear comments from other viewers. I still have the LD from 95 and This is clearly a (a) different print, and (b) still shows signs of damage, but I am finding a bit of variation in the print quality. I am basically very happy with this but do any other posters have an issue with the variable grain and contrast within the print?

(I am not going into the misleading cover package dopeiness about "Original Opening" , "deleted scene" etc.) This DVD is pretty good, but I think ti could have been better...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:18 pm 

I have realized I sound more negative about LAURA than I meant to. It is in fact the best print of it I have ever seen. The menu and cover info ARE annoying in the way they refer to "extended version" (i.e. with the two minutes of Cliffy's flashbacks of "making over" Laura) as this version has been back in circulation since 1990 (and is the original cut.) Anyhow I made some comparisons between the new DVD and the LD from 94/95 and the improvements are remarkable. What is interesting is that the wide shots are quite grainy but the CUs and two shots actually look smoother. This is not a criticism and may well have been Lashelle's intention.
Anyhow I am also wondering aloud - with Alandau - if this isn't the time to start up a Fox Classics subsection? Also superb transfers are Panic in the Streets, Leave her to Heaven (a marked improvement from the LD also) Ghost and Mrs Muir and others. These really are at the level of Warners/Criterion if more spartan on extras (and commensurately cheaper.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:37 am 

Quote:
these really are at the level of Warners/Criterion if more spartan on extras (and commensurately cheaper.)

Compare the extras on Laura and Criterion's Thieves' Highway. Are Fox really more spartan on extras?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:42 am 

Still waiting Alandau (next mail I hope plus Warners Musicals) But I agree some of the Fox extras are better than average - I mean they seem to be trying wth these, although on Laura poor old David Raskin can't remember anything and obviously needed better production, and also seems to be in another time-space mode from the woman from Gene Tierney';s estate.. But still . Another piece of nonsense on the Laura liner notes "Preminger has no definable mise-en-scene" or words to that effect.

EXCUSE ME?? (Sorry going into Cliffy mode.) Just look at the picture - Preminger doesn't set up a POV shot for the first 30 minutes - everything is done with rapid montage, rapid camera movement and the other elements of the production to deliver his very first mastery of the mise-en-scene of ambiguity, which is still formidable.

Anyhow - who's complaining about Fox. Are you thinking we should give them time to really perfect these DVDs and then give them a subby?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:22 am 

FYI, here's the quote in question from the Laura insert:
"Though Laura is generally considered one of the more atmospheric of noir films, Director/Producer Otto Preminger believed every film had to be approached differently and to him, the best films were all about realism. As a result, he didn't indulge in camera gimmicks or fancy angles or have a particular style."

A very poorly written bit of insert filler, but I think it remains true that Preminger did (intentionally) seem to many an impersonal filmmaker and that his filmmaking style varied quite a lot across his career. For example, flixyflox mentioned his use of rapid montage in Laura, but in many of his other films he used a lot of long takes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:11 am 

Thanx Gregory. Inded!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:52 pm 

According to Amazon, House of Bamboo has been pushed back to June 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:59 am 
Leningrad Cowboy

Ashirg wrote:
I was surprised to see at Mondo Digital Upcoming Releases that Kiss of Death(1947) is going to be released by Anchor Bay and not as part of Fox Noir Collection.

According to my Laura insert, Kiss of Death is coming in the second wave of Fox Noir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:36 pm 

According to Amazon, Kiss of Death is going to be released in October by Anchor Bay.... But according to DVD Times, there's a cover of Kiss of Death as part of Fox Film Noir... I won't trust anyone and will wait for official announcement.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56448

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:19 pm 

Ashirg wrote:
According to Amazon, Kiss of Death is going to be released in October by Anchor Bay.... But according to DVD Times, there's a cover of Kiss of Death as part of Fox Film Noir... I won't trust anyone and will wait for official announcement.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56448

Could one be a Region 2 release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:33 am 

next wave this tuesday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:42 am 

Yes. And Home Theater Forum posted info about next 2 waves (subject to change):
Quote:
According to the insert in the recent selections of the FILM NOIR Collection (House of Bamboo), the following titles are the next 2 groups of titles.

SEPTEMBER:

THE HOUSE ON 92ND STREET
SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT
KISS OF DEATH*

*RELEASE DATE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

DECEMBER:

THE DARK CORNER
NO WAY OUT
WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS

Note: KISS OF DEATH is now slated for a October release by Anchor Bay and NO WAY OUT is also being touted as a STUDIO COLLECTION title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:45 pm 

Specs for wave 3 from DVD Times:
Quote:
Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three titles as part of Film Noir Wave 3 due on 6th September 2005. Priced at $14.98 SRP each are...

House on 92nd Street
A stentorian narrator tells us that the USA was flooded with Nazi spies in 1939-41. One such tries to recruit college grad Bill Dietrich, who becomes a double agent for the FBI. While Bill trains in Hamburg, a street-accident victim proves to have been spying on atom-bomb secrets; conveniently, Dietrich is assigned to the New York spy ring stealing these secrets. Can he track down the mysterious "Christopher" before his ruthless associates unmask and kill him?

Features include:

* 1.33:1 Full Screen Presentation
* English Mono & Stereo
* Spanish Mono
* English and Spanish subtitles
* Commentary by Film Noir Historian Eddie Muller
* Original Press Booklet
* Photo Gallery
* Fox Noir: Somewhere in the Night, The Street with no Name, Where the Sidewalk Ends, & No Way Out

Somewhere in the Night
George Taylor returns from the WWII with amnesia. Back home in os Angeles, he tries to track down his old identity, stumbling into a 3-year old murder case and a hunt for a missing $2 million.

Features include:

* English Mono & Stereo
* Audio Commentary with Eddie Muller
* Theatrical Trailer
* Fox Noir: The Street with no Name, Where the Sidewalk Ends, & No Way Out

Whirlpool
The wife of a psycho-analyst falls prey to a devious quack hypnotist when he discovers she is an habitual shoplifter. Then one of his previous patients now being treated by the real doctor is found murdered, with her still at the scene, and suspicion points only one way.

Features include:

* English Mono & Stereo
* Audio Commentary by Richard Shickel
* Theatrical Trailer
* Fox Noir: Call Northside 777, Dark Corner, House of Bamboo, Laura, Nightmare Alley, Panic in the Streets, & A Street with no Name

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:56 am 
Leningrad Cowboy

With the new wave coming out, I though I should *bump*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:21 pm 

More Fox film noir coming. From davisdvd.com:

Quote:
Fox Film Noir
20th Century Fox has announced their latest batch of film noir classics. Due on December 6th are The Dark Corner, Kiss of Death and Where the Sidewalk Ends, each featuring restored fullscreen transfer and Dolby Digital Mono tracks. Extras will include commentary tracks with film noir historians Alain Silver and James Ursini (Kiss of Death, Where the Sidewalk Ends) and Eddie Muller (The Dark Corner), photo galleries and theatrical trailers. Retail is $14.98 each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:12 pm 

Just out of curiosity, since it's one of my favorite movies and certainly one of the best noirs of the 1970s, does anyone have any info on whether there will be a re-release of FAREWELL, MY LOVELY? The cheapest copies are selling for $160 on Amazon. I think it's an Artisan title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:29 pm 

this is a great set of films so far, which reminds me, I need to order whirlpool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:14 pm 

Any thoughts on the fourth wave that is now on the streets? I picked up The Dark Corner today based on some things I have read, but would be curious to hear people's comments on Where the Sidewalk Ends and Kiss of Death. I am particularly interested to hear any comments on how "noir" these films are or aren't. The glut of cheap, quality releases on the market has really sparked my interest in film noir, but I know several films that are coming out in noir series don't really fall under the "noir" classification in the strictest sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:18 pm 
Leningrad Cowboy

"noir" classification is at this point subjective at best. Suffices to say that all these are generally accepted as having certain noir qualities.

That said, I have the first two waves and the more proper title would be "Fox Docu-Noir Collection" seeing as how Call Northside 777, The Street with No Name, Panic in the Streets, and to a certain extent House of Bamboo all fall under that, least interesing of all, noir subsections called Docu-Noir.

But, I`ll take what they give me, and ask for more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:04 pm 

3 more titles are coming on March 7 - Fallen Angel, The House on Telegraph Hill and No Way Out

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next