Ford at Fox: 24 Film Boxset

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
knives

Re: Ford at Fox: 24 Film Boxset

#301 Post by knives » Thu May 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Yeah, the American edition is definitely the better variation and given the rough proximity of the two in structure (so not a My Darling Clementine thing) the take thing MichaelB mentions should definitely be the deciding factor. As to Black Hat's question fortunately Ford's a fairly straightforward director so as long as you don't watch one of the eggs *cough*Tobacco Road*cough* you should be fine. Probably the simplest option is to start with the ones that were repackaged into the essential Ford set if this is a major concern.

Werewolf by Night

#302 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu May 08, 2014 1:02 pm

Drucker wrote:How Green Is My Valley is beautiful, but probably not as readily watchable and really easy to enjoy as the others I've mentioned.
I'm not sure what "readily watchable" means (it's as ready to watch as any of the other DVDs in the set), but I think it's very easy for just about anyone to enjoy. Outside of Wee Willie Winkie, it's probably the closest thing Ford ever made to a "family movie."

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#303 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Also wonder what "readily watchable" means. How Green WAS My Valley (getting it right this time) is probably my favorite Ford film -- but possibly this is because I'm not a big fan of "westerns" (though I do like some -- and really am quite fond of Ford's "Rio Grande").

Black Hat

#304 Post by Black Hat » Thu May 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:"How Green Is My Valley" is also essential (I think).

My first question -- which version of "Iron Horse" is better?
I was wondering the same.

Thanks for recommendations Drucker.

If anybody has the pdf of Tag Gallagher's Ford book I'd greatly appreciate it. Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#305 Post by Drucker » Thu May 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Personally, I found How Green Was My Valley to be a bit slower than the other films mentioned. It's an absolutely beautiful film, but doesn't have quite the straight-forward, sometimes suspenseful plots of the other films, is all I meant. I'm not trying to imply any of these masterpieces are "better" than others. But for someone who has only seen two films, I recommended the ones that are faster-paced and a bit more straight-forward in my eyes.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#306 Post by swo17 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:18 pm

knives wrote:As to Black Hat's question fortunately Ford's a fairly straightforward director so as long as you don't watch one of the eggs *cough*Tobacco Road*cough* you should be fine.
Whereas I primarily bought this set during the recent deal because it's the only way to get Tobacco Road, which, as something of a backwoods screwball comedy, sees Ford at his most fun and lively. Otherwise, I already owned most of these films, a couple of them on Blu-ray.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#307 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Young Mister Lincoln is my favorite of the included titles, it or Grapes of Wrath are easy recs

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#308 Post by Drucker » Thu May 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Are we talking about this book?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#309 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 08, 2014 1:29 pm

I've checked and Tag Gallagher did post the PDF here openly several years ago via a currently non-working Rapidshare link, so here is a working link: http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/16290955/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#310 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Is Judge Priest the best of the Will Rogers films? (It's the only oneI've seen so far).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#311 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Judge Priest is my least favorite of the three he made with Ford, with Steamboat Round the Bend being my favorite and Doctor Bull a strong second.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#312 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 08, 2014 1:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:Judge Priest is my least favorite of the three he made with Ford, with Steamboat Round the Bend being my favorite and Doctor Bull a strong second.
Glad to hear this -- as I did l(mostly) ike Judge Priest.

knives

#313 Post by knives » Thu May 08, 2014 2:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:Young Mister Lincoln is my favorite of the included titles, it or Grapes of Wrath are easy recs
Really all of the Fonda films go down smoothly. Even some of the weaker ones have a lot to recommend.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#314 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Well, I wouldn't extend it out of this set to something like the Fugitive though!

knives

#315 Post by knives » Thu May 08, 2014 2:45 pm

And naturally that's one I haven't seen yet and precisely why I picked up this set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#316 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 08, 2014 2:48 pm

I've got bad news for you... (It's not in it) (though maybe that's good news, really)

knives

#317 Post by knives » Thu May 08, 2014 2:54 pm

I was clearly vague. I picked up the set because I haven't seen a good twenty films contained inside.

CSM126

#318 Post by CSM126 » Thu May 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Happy to report that this beast arrived in excellent condition. It's an absolutely gorgeous package all around. Can't wait to dive into these films (shamefully, I've only seen one of the films in this set before, Young Mr. Lincoln, which is phenomenal).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#319 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 08, 2014 3:41 pm

What are the best "obscure" films in this set? (I know I want to see "Three Bad Men" in order to see how much Kon borrowed for his "3 Godfathers").

Askew

#320 Post by Askew » Thu May 08, 2014 6:53 pm

I'd say the best of the obscure films are:

Three Bad Men
Four Sons
Pilgrimage
Tobacco Road (though it seems a lot of people here don't like this one)
When Willie Comes Marching Home

And I agree with Domino, The Fugitive is abysmal.

movielocke

#321 Post by movielocke » Thu May 08, 2014 7:52 pm

How Green Was my Valley was my third or fourth Ford film and is what made him one of my favorite directors. It's definitely one of his finest films (I'd say it is his best).

I was going through the set chronologically, and got through the silents before being semi-permanently distracted from finishing the set. I found watching the silents chronologically pretty interesting, though, you see Ford develop as an artist, and you see his tendencies in directing actors taking shape. Hangman's House was notable for that, imo, with Victor Mclaglen giving a performance eerily prescient of John Wayne's later work with Ford. I watched Bucking Broadway on the Stagecoach bluray before starting, the leap from that film to the impeccable Just Pals was impressive.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#322 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 08, 2014 11:04 pm

"Just Pals" was fun, even if the content was pretty thin.

manicsounds

#323 Post by manicsounds » Fri May 09, 2014 7:57 am

Do a Lincoln double feature with "Young Mr. Lincoln" / "Prisoner Of Shark Island".

You could also just go chronologically.

liam fennell

#324 Post by liam fennell » Fri May 09, 2014 8:58 am

My set came fine, too, a few days ago. Only weird thing is the pages of the binder are curiously curved. Started with Wee Willie Winkie and was pleasantly surprised to see that it plays out just like the cavalry films only told from the perspective of an annoyingly cute little girl! Teaming her up with Victor McLaglen works like crazy although
SpoilerShow
the movie kind of died with him.
Good entertainment, "just a job of work." indeed.

Just Pals was really fun; crazy energetic melodrama. The plot just whizzes by with major twists passing almost before you have a chance to register them! Even the intertitles went by really fast! It is very interesting how this movie is so similar to Borzage's marvelous Lazybones also with Buck Jones. Was his star persona basically the small town layabout that adopts kids?

I'm definitely torn on whether I should continue cherry picking the best obscure movies, as per the list above, or if I should go in order from here on out. No one earlier in this thread seems to have much enthusiasm for the early sound films, excepting Pilgrimage, which is kind of distressing!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#325 Post by Drucker » Fri May 09, 2014 9:05 am

I watched Born Reckless a few weeks ago and it was just...fine. Though the sound in the film was terrible, it has a lot of good humored, Ford-esque moments. Nothing outstanding, but an enjoyable film nonetheless.