Forthcoming MGM titles

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
skuhn8

#26 Post by skuhn8 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:19 am

sevenarts wrote:OK, is anyone really gonna pay $20 for these? With the usual online discounts it'll be $13 or so, which isn't too bad.
Ok, I think we all know about online pricing. But when we call bullshit on pricing we discuss it from the point of MSRP (i.e. $39.95 for Brute Force?! ) The Fox Noirs are $14.98 MSRP with commentary plus whatever galleries and/or Movietones and a few decent printed paragraphs of movie-specific trivia. Knowing MGM...cover art, amaray, disc with film. Maybe a trailer. But maybe I'm jumpting the gun here. Do we have any final word on what the contents will be?

wiljan

#27 Post by wiljan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:48 am

skuhn8 wrote:But maybe I'm jumpting the gun here. Do we have any final word on what the contents will be?
I should say you're not.
DVDTimes wrote:Retail is $19.98 SRP each. There are no extras.

skuhn8

#28 Post by skuhn8 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:58 am

Fuck you, MGM.

atcolomb

#29 Post by atcolomb » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:16 am

skuhn8 wrote:Fuck you, MGM.

I agree with that!! I am still angry at them for IT'S A MAD,MAD,MAD,WORLD (1963) in which they put all the extra footage after the movie instead of where it belongs in the movie like they did with the laserdisc release. Everytime i want to see the movie i watch the laserdisc!! :x

Gigi M.

#30 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:31 am

DavisDVD is reporting that the upcoming disc of Jean de Florette/Manon of the spring is a double feature recycling the previous non-anamorphic transfer. This is just to much from MGM.

rwaits

#31 Post by rwaits » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:00 pm

And those transfers looked bad. Too bad, I was really looking forward to that release.

ByMarkClark.com

#32 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Tue May 01, 2007 11:55 am

Gigi M. wrote:Jean de Florette/Manon of the spring is a double feature recycling the previous non-anamorphic transfer.
OK. I can scratch that one off my to-buy list, then.

starmanof51

#33 Post by starmanof51 » Tue May 01, 2007 12:01 pm

ByMarkClark.com wrote:
Gigi M. wrote:Jean de Florette/Manon of the spring is a double feature recycling the previous non-anamorphic transfer.
OK. I can scratch that one off my to-buy list, then.
How would DavisDVD know at this point? They're not reporting that it is a recycle but that it appears it might be. At least wait til the screeners get out before scratching it off. I'd take it with a grain of salt for now.

Gigi M.

#34 Post by Gigi M. » Thu May 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Ugly cover:

justeleblanc

#35 Post by justeleblanc » Thu May 17, 2007 1:51 pm

Gigi M. wrote:Ugly cover
Wow, I no longer want to buy that.

rohmerin

#36 Post by rohmerin » Thu May 17, 2007 1:53 pm

the Spanish, R2 pal dvd is not pretty good, the cover isn't nice eithe, so I dream with high quality on image for buying it with devaluated dollars.

DrewReiber

#37 Post by DrewReiber » Thu May 17, 2007 2:04 pm

GOOD LORD!!!

dadaistnun

#38 Post by dadaistnun » Thu May 17, 2007 2:06 pm

I didn't know there was an animated version.

Joe Buck

#39 Post by Joe Buck » Fri May 18, 2007 9:55 am

I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin this release too. Might as well stick with the Roan version at this point. Overpriced crap. MGM should be ashamed to send their worthless barebones DVD to the stores and have them sit on the same shelves as Warner Brothers.

"Myaa! Myaa! I'm gonna get you Orson, see? Myaa! Myaa!"

Fuck you, MGM.

miless

#40 Post by miless » Fri May 18, 2007 6:42 pm

Joe Buck wrote: I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin this release too. Might as well stick with the Roan version at this point. Overpriced crap. MGM should be ashamed to send their worthless barebones DVD to the stores and have them sit on the same shelves as Warner Brothers.

"Myaa! Myaa! I'm gonna get you Orson, see? Myaa! Myaa!"

Fuck you, MGM.
a little angry, are we?

Joe Buck

#41 Post by Joe Buck » Sun May 20, 2007 4:16 pm

Nah, I'm alright. I've already pre-ordered it. I love MGM. XOXOXO

patrick

#42 Post by patrick » Fri May 25, 2007 6:44 pm

From Fangoria:
Fango has learned that MGM Home Entertainment has a whole batch of horror titles coming on DVD September 11 for the Halloween season, among them two of the year's most eagerly awaited restorations/special editions. One is the director's cut of Stuart Gordon's FROM BEYOND that premiered last year on the high-definition channel Monsters HD (see our previous report here), with a Gordon commentary and other extras to be announced. The other is the uncut version of the 1981 slasher film THE BURNING, an early credit for Miramax's Harvey and Bob Weinstein as well as actors Jason Alexander, Holly Hunter, Fisher Stevens et al. That movie will be presented in a remastered hi-def widescreen transfer with all of Tom Savini's gory FX intact, accompanied by commentary by director Tony Maylam and a featurette including a Savini interview and behind-the-scenes footage of his gory handiwork.

Also on the slate are the new RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD disc, with a cast/zombie commentary, that we first told you about here, a no-frills release of William Wesley's SCARECROWS and many more. Look for more details on this site very soon! —Michael Gingold
I'm looking forward to these!

Lino

#43 Post by Lino » Sat May 26, 2007 10:49 am

The forthcoming Sergio Leone Anthology is a digipack.

DrewReiber

#44 Post by DrewReiber » Sat May 26, 2007 3:10 pm

May 25: DVD update: FROM BEYOND, BURNING, more

From Beyond director's cut, The Burning, new Return of the Living Dead special edition, Scarecrows, and "many more" on September 11th. Thank God in heaven! I wonder what the remaining titles are? I'm still hoping for Wes Craven's Deadly Blessing, Larry Cohen's Full Moon High, The Quatermass X-Periment and The Conqueror Worm.

What about you guys?

patrick

#45 Post by patrick » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:42 pm

Really really terrible, although I'm assuming that can't be final, if only for the fact that I'm guessing it should read "Stuart Gordon's From Beyond," instead of giving the impression that Stuart Gordon is the star.

LionelHutz

#46 Post by LionelHutz » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:33 am

Surely they couldn't have used a better font,colour,image and quote for this release...And that lens flare is just a great touch.
Bravo Mgm! =D>

Matt

#47 Post by Matt » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:53 am

LionelHutz wrote:And that lens flare is just a great touch.
Bravo Mgm!
You're applauding the lens flare? It's such a PhotoShop cliché (as are brushed-metal-effect letters, for that matter).

miless

#48 Post by miless » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:13 pm

Matt wrote:
Bravo Mgm!
You're applauding the lens flare? It's such a PhotoShop cliché (as are brushed-metal-effect letters, for that matter).
You obviously did not get the joke.

LionelHutz

#49 Post by LionelHutz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:43 pm

miless wrote:
Matt wrote:
Bravo Mgm!
You obviously did not get the joke.
Why ? :shock:
Is it that difficult to believe I actually liked that cover ? :)
But seriously,what's wrong with marketing these days ?
I know it took them 5 minutes to do that with photoshop,but they could have easily used the original poster and it wouldn't have taken more time anyway.
Laserdiscs and Vhs usually (usually!) had much better covers..Why can't everyone else follow warner's example (at least when it comes to classics) ?

patrick

#50 Post by patrick » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Not that I'm defending MGM's horrible choice of art, but it's not 100% original, it's an update of the cover of the soundtrack: