The Godfather Trilogy: Coppola Restoration

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Fletch F. Fletch

The Godfather Trilogy: Coppola Restoration

#1 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed May 11, 2005 11:34 am

Has anyone had a chance to take a look at the separate releases of The Godfather trilogy? Are the transfers any better than what was in the box set?

justeleblanc

#2 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 11, 2005 11:44 am

I've looked at the single disc of Part 1 and as far as I can tell it's the exact same transfer.

porquenegar

#3 Post by porquenegar » Wed May 11, 2005 12:32 pm

I read somewhere that it is the same transfer but I don't remember where. Very dissapointing.

justeleblanc

#4 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 11, 2005 1:01 pm

I'm actually waiting to get the trilogy in the single movie releases, mostly because I really don't like cardboard DVD casings.

swingo

#5 Post by swingo » Wed May 11, 2005 2:45 pm

JusteLeblanc wrote:I've looked at the single disc of Part 1 and as far as I can tell it's the exact same transfer.
They are exactly the same, although i can't remember if the box set version had the audio commentary by Coppola.

The 3 Godfathers were released already here in M�xico since November.

Axel.

oldsheperd

#6 Post by oldsheperd » Wed May 11, 2005 2:56 pm

All the Godafther films in the box have commentaries. I have the single disc version of part one and I'm going to get part 2 eventually. Part 2 and 3 come out on the 24th of this month. The cardboard cases stink and the extras disc plus part 3 I'm not too kean on.

justeleblanc

#7 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 11, 2005 3:54 pm

Isnt part 2 getting a 2-disc treatment?

Fletch F. Fletch

#8 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed May 11, 2005 4:43 pm

JusteLeblanc wrote:Isnt part 2 getting a 2-disc treatment?
Not to my knowledge. They are just spreading the movie over 2 discs like in the box set.

justeleblanc

#9 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 11, 2005 5:16 pm

I hate it when they spread a movie over 2 discs. Dang.

4LOM

#10 Post by 4LOM » Thu May 12, 2005 6:56 am

DVD Debate gave the single release of "The Godfather" a "B" for video and a "C+" for the Trilogy-set. Strange, because both transfers are the same and even from the captures, you can't see any differences.

Person

The Godfather Newly Restored

#11 Post by Person » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:20 pm

From Ron Epstein at HTF:
Ronald Epstein wrote:I have been hearing "rumors" for the past year that THE GODFATHER was undergoing major restoration for a (possible) new theatrical release and then on to DVD and (possibly) HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

Those rumors seem to have been solidified by a post in this blog
movielocke wrote:Coppola said tonight that he just viewed the finished multimillion dollar full film restoration of the Godfather and it's an incredible sight. Looking forward to the new dvd, cause the original dvds could definitely use some work, though overall are excellent. even the prints I've seen of Godfather have never been really outstanding, so I'm hoping new prints made from the restoration will circulate the major cities sometime next spring.
All I can say is that it looks very promising that we will be hearing some news about this film in the very near future.
Dutch DVDs in December
06-12-2007 Godfather 1 (Newly Restored) Misdaad Paramount
06-12-2007 Godfather 2 (Newly Restored) Misdaad Paramount
I would imagine that Paramount will make an official announcement in September. Their announced titles go up to late November at present.

Cinesimilitude

#12 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Berlin Alexanderplatz, HD Blade Runner, HD Kubricks, and now the chance of The Godfather. If these get an HD/BD boxset release in December it will be ridiculous.

exte

#13 Post by exte » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:47 am

It took long enough, even well after Star Wars was cleaned up... Of course I'll be the first to buy this set. It would be fantastic if they expanded on the extras and commentaries, too. If they rerelease the film in select theaters, I'll go see it with my father, I hope, as he saw it in the theaters when it first came out.

BTW, won't they ever consider releasing the Godfather Saga, which is just the first two movies edited together for television? I'd love to see that uncut and in the OAR. Even if it's not restored, it would still be a hell of a bonus feature!

Antoine Doinel

#14 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:39 am

I dunno, the extras in the current boxset are pretty expansive, including lots of casting footage, deleted scenes, cast interviews, film-by-film making-of stuff etc.. It's really just the image that has needed clearing up for years and it's finally done. I actually wonder if Coppola is going to pull a Lucas and re-insert some of the deleted footage into parts one and two. I hope not, as they are fine as they are.

What A Disgrace

#15 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:52 am

I'm up for these DVDs, especially if they're available seperately. I may have to put off watching the current transfers yet again...I was going to do so in a few weeks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:44 pm

Looking forward to the "The Godfather: Offer You Can't Refuse Edition" with many outrageous, unrated extras!!!!

Person

#17 Post by Person » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:13 pm

I wonder if Coppola considered replacing those music cues in the first film at 26 minutes, when the plane lands and at 28 minutes in the establishing shot of Jack Woltz's mansion. Both are library jazz music that was put as a guide-track which Robert Evans insisted on keeping in the film, for some reason. It doesn't fit and Coppola seems to regret having to yield to them being included.

I did question the validity of the December release. The original title of the thread was the questioning, "Restored Godfather films in December?" but has been changed twice since then by mods. Also, the links were provided by HTF co-owner, Ron Epstein.

As for the music, it doesn't really matter what I think in this regard, as Coppola doesn't seem to be fond of the music and he isn't averse to making changes to his films, so I just thought that it was worth mentioning. I would, however, like to see the original mono mixes for G1 and G2 included on future DVDs.

Rufus T. Firefly

#18 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:51 am

I for one will be boycotting this and any Coppola releases while he and his cronies are holding Napoleon to ransom.

Person

he Godfather Newly Restored

#19 Post by Person » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:30 am

It's possible that what really bothers me about the cliched library-sourced Jazz cues, are that they were not written or chosen by Nino Rota and I pretty much worship the man! Also, on the current DVD, the shot of the plane landing and the high panning shot over Hollywood are excessively grainy/noisy for a daylight scene for a prestigious 1972 film. Other scenes in the film are grainy, but that was due to Willis' aphotic cinematography. It will interesting to see how the grain structure looks on the refurbished versions, both in 35mm and digital video. As for the original mono mixes, I just remembered that The Conversation DVD also lacks its original Oscar-nominated, BAFTA-winning mono soundtrack. Murch supervised the excellent 5.1 mix and it is surprising he didn't insist that the original mono also be included. I have the DVD on right now and the transfer really holds up well.

Joe Buck

#20 Post by Joe Buck » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:51 pm

Ugh....another movie I have to buy again.

atcolomb

#21 Post by atcolomb » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:51 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I for one will be boycotting this and any Coppola releases while he and his cronies are holding Napoleon to ransom.
....Good Point!.....Release Napoleon first!.......

filmnoir1

#22 Post by filmnoir1 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:04 pm

This is becoming absolutely incorrigable. Enough is enough with all these special editions. It is time that people band together and stop re-purchasing all these films, just so the studios can make a profit.

LionelHutz

#23 Post by LionelHutz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:07 am

I'm not sure this means we're going to see a new dvd (or hd-dvd or br or videodisc) anytime soon. The dutch announcement could easily be just another rerelease.I think the master used for the dvd is pretty good (at least for the first two films)..Some dark scenes are grainier than hell (I happen to know hell is very grainy) but that's due to the very low lightning.

Now the negative probably was going to die and that was restored to its glory,but I'm afraid the godfather will never look brand new.
Moreover Coppola never said anything about godfather II being restored if I'm not mistaken.

The box set is very insightful and full of fascinating extras.The audio tape with Nino Rota was a gem! Now a rerelease in the theaters..that's what I would like!

lord_clyde

#24 Post by lord_clyde » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:33 pm

LionelHutz wrote:(I happen to know hell is very grainy)
That makes a ridiculous amount of sense.

Luke M

#25 Post by Luke M » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:51 pm

The Dutch release might not be true or not but you don't spend millions of dollars on restoration to not sell it.