'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Gregory

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3326 Post by Gregory » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:27 pm

The phrase I see in countless user reviews is "no ending," to decry pretty much any film not based on the dramatic formula of a clear climax and denouement, or doesn't have all of the problems neatly resolved by the end, as if that's the only kind of ending there is. "This movie has no ending!!!!! Don't waste your time! I feel cheated and want my money and time back!!!!!" and so on.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3327 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:56 pm

zedz wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
for a movie I've never heard of before this was very entertaining. A story with both a beginning and an ending. The middle was pretty good also!
Now I really want to see it! Those are the three things I look for in a movie.
But not necessarily in that order.

Forrest Taft

#3328 Post by Forrest Taft » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:17 am

Not exactly a review, but...
This Roman Polanski crusade is greatly misunderstood. Try making a movie about Satanism and Devil Worship and see where that gets you in Showbiz and Politics. The “13 year old victim” is in, and of itself, what is known as an “Occult Signature”, and there are many swirling around Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate (his wonderful wife and actress). Roman Polanski’s Signature Film is, of course, “Rosemary’s Baby”, and this little movie is at the centerpiece of all of Roman Polanski’s legal and political troubles; all of the film was shot on Paramount studio property, except for 2 scenes — the exterior outside of the Bramford (actually, it is the Dakota Building) where Angela Dorian (Victoria Vetri) “dies” after “falling” from the roof, and the final shot in the movie, where the camera itself veers up and away from the EXACT SPOT where John Lennon was ritually assassinated 13 YEARS LATER! (The camera sequence certainly does come across the screen to the viewer as if it were an eternal soul departing from a dead body). Not convinced yet that making movies about Satanism and Occult Devil Worship can be hazardous to one’s own existence? Well, see if there are any innocent explainations among these facts: Sharon Tate made a grand total of 13 film/television appearances (including a cameo in the party scene in “Rosemary’s Baby”, directed by her husband). Sharon Tate’s FIRST movie was entitled “13”, before it was re-titled and released as “Eye of the Devil”, and her 13th and FINAL appearance was in “The 13 Chairs”, which was re-titled and released after her death as “12 + 1” (13!). This is all similar to what happened to poor Stanley Kubrick, who also only directed 13 motion pictures over his career, after he faked the “Apollo 11 – 17 Lunar Footage” for NASA while he was supposedly working on the four year shoot of his Signature Film, “2001: A Space Odyssey” — so isn’t it remarkably interesting that Stanley Kubrick just so happened to “die” on the 66th day of 1999 (March 7th) EXACTLY 666 DAYS BEFORE NEW YEARS’ DAY, JANUARY 1st, 2001!!! Now you may be starting to comprehend why Witches and Warlocks use the HOLLY – WOOD when they cast their Spells upon Society. Roman Polanski is the Victim in this diabolical public relations smear campaign (because if one cannot physically eliminate their enemy, the next best thing is to irreparably damage their intended Victim’s public image beyond repair); a counterfeit morals charge, such as Pedophilia towards “A 13 Year Old Girl” damages his worldwide public prestige and image quite thoroughly, don’t ya think?!

Altair

#3329 Post by Altair » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:24 am

I sometimes think the world is a good place, but then I read this and... despair. How could someone actually believe any of this?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3330 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:29 am

Please note that this is not an invitation to jumpstart another debate on the charges against Polanski. Though feel free to talk about our dark lord Satan and praise him, obviously

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3331 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:37 pm

I dunno, the guy's math checks out for Kubrick.

zedz

#3332 Post by zedz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Though if it really was all about numerology, shouldn't the occult victim have been 12 years and 10 months (666 weeks) old, not 13? Oh Satan, how could you miss a golden opportunity like that?

Stupid Satan.

eerik

#3333 Post by eerik » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:21 am

jindianajonz wrote:After glancing through his other reviews, that seems to be a common problem with him. In his Exodus: Gods and Kings review, he feels it necessary to unequivocally point out that the Bible is fiction, yet also devotes a paragraph to lambast the "secularist" usage of BCE to denote the date instead of BC.
Speaking of Exodus, I've seen some local people complaining that the film, named Exodus, was biblical and not about Greek mythology as they expected it to be. Average Estonians don't care much about any religion, but that's not an excuse for stupidity.

Lemmy Caution

#3334 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:13 am

eerik wrote: Speaking of Exodus, I've seen some local people complaining that the film, named Exodus, was biblical and not about Greek mythology as they expected it to be.
I kept waiting for Bob Marley to appear ....

George Drooly

#3335 Post by George Drooly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:13 am

-No Shoah?!?

-Presumably omitted because it's non-fiction.

-Oops I didn't know it was non fiction

Gregory

#3336 Post by Gregory » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:24 pm

From an Amazon review of Marilyn Ann Moss's biography of Raoul Walsh:
Finally I have to question her arm chair psychoanalysis of [Walsh]. She constantly compares him to John Ford. Ford made his movies emphasizing character development and scenery. He was a strange man in real life (read Maureen O'Hara's autobiography). Walsh emphasized the storyline or plot along with the scenery. Leave it at that.

MichaelB

#3337 Post by MichaelB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:39 pm

George Drooly wrote:
-No Shoah?!?

-Presumably omitted because it's non-fiction.

-Oops I didn't know it was non fiction
I'm the one in the middle, and I thought I'd probably best leave it at that!

Numero Trois

#3338 Post by Numero Trois » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:07 pm

One of the Netflix reviews for the latest Star Wars film:
Plus where is the good looking main characters like Luke, Solo and Anakin from the past movies ? No they have to cast a very ugly African guy as one of the new heroes, just to please the new Kardashian Fetish followers of these society.

furbicide

#3339 Post by furbicide » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:57 pm

It's political correctness gone mad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3340 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Great movie to watch with Jodie Foster missbehaves as normal. It is amazing how O'Hara's Wife comes back from dead to gide Edwar Asner out of trouble with JF

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3341 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Martin Liebman is at it again - The Walk surprised me and is in my top 10 this year, but this review is beyond worthy of this thread:
Perhaps in no other film can moviemaking's magic be better experienced than in The Walk, Director Robert Zemeckis' touching, funny, and in every way inspiring and spectacular true-to-life recreation of the Philippe Petit story.
what can only be described as a movie as monumentally satisfying as the wire walk performance itself
Zemeckis, one of the great movie magicians of his, or any, time,
a treasure of the cinema world and certainly in the post-9/11 era
and my favorite head-scratcher...
Who can say whether Philippe Petit's story would have been made into a film were it not for the events that transpired on 9/11. But that day did happen, and for all that's followed The Walk is, at least cinematically, perhaps the most important.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3342 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Holy shit that last line

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3343 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:54 pm

You can read it a thousand times and it still doesn't make sense

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3344 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:20 pm

C'mon, he stepped it back with a "perhaps" and an "at least cinematically." What more do you want, blood? You guys are the worst thing that has happened since 9/11.

Brevity

#3345 Post by Brevity » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Looking through the critic reviews for Ce jour-là at RT, I rather enjoyed this opening line to a one-star review:
In Raoul Ruiz's THAT DAY (CE JOUR-LÀ), which we are told occurs in "the near future in Switzerland," the country appears to have added a fifth official language: boredom.

Thornycroft

#3346 Post by Thornycroft » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:42 am

This is currently the only customer review for The Jacques Rivette Collection at Amazon UK.

Something tells me they didn't make it through the first episode.

MichaelB

#3347 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:08 am

It's also the only review at the time of writing, presumably because intelligent and engaged reviews are by definition going to take some time to write.

RossyG

#3348 Post by RossyG » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:21 pm

Amazing that he spent £120 on something he seemed to have no prior knowledge of or affinity with.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3349 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:32 pm

Didn't know where else to put this since this is an example of 'Rediculous' screenwriting, but a producer is tweeting descriptions of women from actual screenplays and they are creepy as all get out

MichaelB

#3350 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:34 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Didn't know where else to put this since this is an example of 'Rediculous' screenwriting, but a producer is tweeting descriptions of women from actual screenplays and they are creepy as all get out
My immediate reaction to that was to pick up a collection of Alan Bennett plays to see how he describes his female characters.

This was the first:
A middle-aged girl in ankle socks, long coat and woollen gloves stands expressionless in a room. Her shoes are too young for her. There is no movement in her face. Her name is Winnie.