'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Gregory

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3201 Post by Gregory » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:18 pm

Boyhood review on the Bibliocommons online catalog:
Extremely long but not too bad. Still wondering how they aged the kids. The credits only show Ellar and Lorelei as the kids. Not only do they get older they get taller. CGI???
Another one observed:
The film was too long and slogged into tediousness. But I suppose that's Linklater's point.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3202 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:29 pm

I like this one for The Hunt:
SpoilerShow
I'm only half way through this film, but if Lucas isn't shown innocent and apologized profusely by all the townspeople, like Grete, Klara's parents, and such, I will rate this movie as trash, because that is what is will become, to me.

bottled spider

#3203 Post by bottled spider » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Gregory wrote:Boyhood review on the Bibliocommons online catalog:
Extremely long but not too bad. Still wondering how they aged the kids. The credits only show Ellar and Lorelei as the kids. Not only do they get older they get taller. CGI???
This is now my all-time favourite customer review. I think Linklater would be delighted.

Red Screamer

#3204 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:19 pm

An Amazon review of Upstream Color
Fasted forward the entire movie, no plot or acting, and very short movie. A D- movie for sure.
I wonder why it was so short

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3205 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:22 pm

I love how people are always bragging about how they fast forward through "boring parts" of movies, like they beat the system or something

med

#3206 Post by med » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Gregory wrote: ...is an example of how bad Amazon reviews have gotten since the introduction of all the free streaming selections for Prime members, who have no clue what they're watching, shut it off in a matter of minutes, and then write a 1-star review, or just write something like "Couldn't get it to load."

Did this person really think that something that said "Wings (1927)" with a picture of aircraft going down in flames and Clara Bow, was going to be the '90s sitcom called Wings? Amazon movie reviews are now this times a million. ](*,)
Every now and then, I'll come across a one-star "review" that's just some variant of "I didn't buy this for me, I bought it as a gift for someone else." Unsurprisingly, clicking on the customer's name shows they feel they have to comment on every single thing they buy.

willoneill

#3207 Post by willoneill » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:26 pm

med wrote:Every now and then, I'll come across a one-star "review" that's just some variant of "I didn't buy this for me, I bought it as a gift for someone else." Unsurprisingly, clicking on the customer's name shows they feel they have to comment on every single thing they buy.
To be fair, I feel like Amazon used to e-mail me to ask me to review every item I purchased ... maybe some people are more susceptible to peer pressure.

sir_luke

#3208 Post by sir_luke » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:44 pm

My favorite lines from a review of Bertolucci's 1900 on my library's website:

"The film could have been done better in short documentary fashion, with the Director not attaching himself to the story of Italian serfdom. The sexual language & exposure of the film should be rated XXXXX. NOT recommended for family-time."

bamwc2

#3209 Post by bamwc2 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:10 am

sir_luke wrote:My favorite lines from a review of Bertolucci's 1900 on my library's website:

"The film could have been done better in short documentary fashion, with the Director not attaching himself to the story of Italian serfdom. The sexual language & exposure of the film should be rated XXXXX. NOT recommended for family-time."
Wrong! Every one of my family movie nights features a murderous Nazi pedophile. That sounds weird now that I say it aloud.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#3210 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Two separate reviews:
While on spring break, the girls get into trouble, imagine that, and they get bailed out by a scuzz-ball who looks like James Franco.
Cheap junk. Jot even a plot or connected story line. Foul. Language when not needed. Watched w my 14 yo daughter who likes Salena Gomez but did not finish as not a good show for her

warren oates

#3211 Post by warren oates » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:14 pm

I sincerely hope that Spring Breakers poisoned his daughter's mind to the point where she'll now secretly seek out Trash Humpers and other "cheap junk." Now that would be a good show.

The Narrator Returns

#3212 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:37 pm

Larry and Andy Wachowski did make a competent movie before The Matrix, the low budget erotic thriller Bound.

But then they made so much money off The Matrix that Larry got to live out his pervy sci-fi geekery instead of just sublimating it into his movies.

So Larry moved in with his dominatrix and changed his name to Lana.

How’s that working out for the quality of his/her movies?

matrixschmatrix

#3213 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:09 am

Ugh, jesus, that's ugly (and stupid.) Also, this may not be the place for it, but I thought Jupiter Ascending was marvelous, easily the best of the new year thus far.

Gregory

#3214 Post by Gregory » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:39 am

That post is by Steve Sailer. Yuck—that's all I'll say about him. Some of the comments under that piece are even more obnoxious and pathetic, not surprisingly.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3215 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:51 am

The comments to his nasty screed make me think his readership is mostly made up of "men's rights" types. Very strange tone (very anti-everything but manly man stuff) -- and not a hint of dissent with Sailer's bigotry.

Who the hell is this guy?

MichaelB

#3216 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:00 am

He's a "scientific racist", so that's no surprise. I first heard of him when he wrote a detailed "explanation" about how the extent of the Hurricane Katrina devastation was partly the fault of the local black population having low IQs.

Gregory

#3217 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:14 pm

Part of what I find so irritating about that ilk is all the unsupported observations made with that shock-jock air of "I'm just saying what everyone's already thinking, and we [frightened, intolerant white males?] all know these things, but I'm one of the few with the courage to speak the truth in the face of political correctness and the liberal media." His notorious views about black people in Louisiana were prefaced with "What you won’t hear, except from me, is that..."
One of his posts from yesterday, for example, is about how now that gay marriage has gained acceptance legalized polygamy is probably the next thing, and it will be introduced in America by Arab Muslims and African immigrants, or maybe that hugely influential community of Tibetan refugees in the US. :roll:
He then makes a sarcastic comment about Kate Brown, my state's incoming governor who is a married bisexual: "this poor bisexual woman... who is discriminated against by law from gay-marrying a woman, just because she’s already married to a man." Never mind that Brown never said anything about wanting to marry a woman in addition to her current spouse! So apparently even bisexuals who are in traditional marriages raise his hackles? It's really just a transparent homophobic swipe at a bisexual Democrat because she just made history and it actually has nothing to do with the topic of gay marriage or polygamy.

He just makes endless generalization and observations with no real basis in reality, and anyone who objects is clearly trying to impose some totalitarian regime of political correctness. To use another example from the day before yesterday, he spouts a brilliant insight that he noticed while watching a Chris Rock movie, that "black people in America really have a blast being black and they don’t seem very interested in much else these days." Hey, he's just noticing things, all the time, usually things critical of minority groups, and anyone who has any problem with what he says is obviously a symptom of the out-of-control PC thought police. "Political correctness is a war on noticing"—that was a quote of his that Patton Oswalt really loved. Yeah sure, a "war." It seems like a double-edged sword of knee-jerk responses: this constant howling about "political correctness" can be its own form of political correctness that shuts out particular kinds of viewpoints (and entire debates about discrimination) without really addressing them, instead treating them like hysterical "attacks."

Didn't mean to rant, but it is semi on topic, as one of this guy's many hats is "movie critic."

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3218 Post by tenia » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Gregory wrote:Part of what I find so irritating about that ilk is all the unsupported observations made with that shock-jock air of "I'm just saying what everyone's already thinking, and we [frightened, intolerant white males?] all know these things, but I'm one of the few with the courage to speak the truth in the face of political correctness and the liberal media." His notorious views about black people in Louisiana were prefaced with "What you won’t hear, except from me, is that..."
In France, we have Eric Zemmour for that.

bamwc2

#3219 Post by bamwc2 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:03 am

Gregory wrote:One of his posts from yesterday, for example, is about how now that gay marriage has gained acceptance legalized polygamy is probably the next thing...
Well, I do hope that he's right about this (and nothing else) since I am big supporter of group marriage, and believe that any good argument for same-sex marriage (or heterosexual marriage for that matter) are also good arguments for forms of group marriage. We may have good external reason for rejecting some forms of group marriage (e.g. traditional religious polygamy where the members are treated unequally), but other forms will turn out to be just arrangements.

knives

#3220 Post by knives » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:24 am

Wouldn't traditional polygamous relations be defined by equal member treatment. I'm not aware of a polygamous religion that doesn't list as a law equal treatment in the absolute of members. Though obviously many followers tend to ignore that part of things.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3221 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Amazon.com's editorial review of Modern Romance in full:
A world-class neurotic, Robert Cole (Albert Brooks, Drive) just can's over.

bamwc2

#3222 Post by bamwc2 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:01 pm

knives wrote:Wouldn't traditional polygamous relations be defined by equal member treatment. I'm not aware of a polygamous religion that doesn't list as a law equal treatment in the absolute of members. Though obviously many followers tend to ignore that part of things.
Not really. I actually know of no religion that has any meaningful protections for those involved in plural marriages. The end effect is usually complete dominance of the wives by the husbands, and hostility to young unmarried men in the community.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3223 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:41 pm

Boyhood was pitched as a "labor of Love" , "coming of age" beautiful film. I LOVED the trailer. I got SCAMMED. Think for one second. If Ellar wasn't a cute kid, if it wasn't filmed over 12 years then what? Writing (CRAP), Story - (CRAP), Cinematography (CRAP) , Direction (A+ for effort) - Result (CRAP), Editing (A++++++ for effort) Result- (GREAT!) Whiplash editing better, Acting (OK) mostly unconvincing and UNINSPIRING. The last thing I like to watch is a fake story about domestic violence, women being beaten by drunk husbands, political pandering to the Right and Left. If it was a TRUE STORY then the F-bombs and all the trashy people would be relevant to the artistic endeavor. Take away the Cute kid and the 12 year gimmick and it is a complete disaster. The Theory of Everything or The Imitation Game are pure INSPIRATION from start to finish.

Zot!

#3224 Post by Zot! » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Boyhood was pitched as a "labor of Love" , "coming of age" beautiful film. I LOVED the trailer. I got SCAMMED. Think for one second. If Ellar wasn't a cute kid, if it wasn't filmed over 12 years then what? Writing (CRAP), Story - (CRAP), Cinematography (CRAP) , Direction (A+ for effort) - Result (CRAP), Editing (A++++++ for effort) Result- (GREAT!) Whiplash editing better, Acting (OK) mostly unconvincing and UNINSPIRING. The last thing I like to watch is a fake story about domestic violence, women being beaten by drunk husbands, political pandering to the Right and Left. If it was a TRUE STORY then the F-bombs and all the trashy people would be relevant to the artistic endeavor. Take away the Cute kid and the 12 year gimmick and it is a complete disaster. The Theory of Everything or The Imitation Game are pure INSPIRATION from start to finish.
The labyrinthine grading scale alone is amazing.
Editing (A++++++ for effort) Result- (GREAT!) Whiplash editing better

Randall Maysin

#3225 Post by Randall Maysin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:15 pm

haha, here's a funny one, about the decent, completely unremarkable Copycat by Jon Amiel:
If you like the movie The Addams Family and Addams Family Values, You'll like the movie Copycat. Even though this movie is a thriller, it is entertaining. It's about a criminal psychologist and a San Francisco Homicide Detective hunting down a copycat killer copying the most serial killers in history. This movie doesn't scare me, but it entertained me and this movie is good because it looks like Morticia Addams wrote the script to this tensely thriller and the best movie since The Addams Family.

completely unremarkable, that is, except for the endearing performance from Dermot Mulroney, LOL! or maybe that's unremarkable too. but I thought him and Holly Hunter were sweet together in this movie.

lots to savor in the quoted review. "Even though this movie is a thriller, it is entertaining." for starters.
Last edited by Randall Maysin on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.