'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3426 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:51 pm

A Brighter Summer Day?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3427 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Sounds about right (you and the IMDB review)

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#3428 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Yep, though I don't understand Domino's dislike of the movie.

htom

#3429 Post by htom » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:09 am

Mungo wrote:Yep, though I don't understand Domino's dislike of the movie.
No one ever likes/dislikes something for exactly the same reasons as anybody else, I would think. It would certainly explain why no contradictory review has convinced me to change my own opinion, only explained the other's viewpoint (to varying but inevitably lesser degrees). Of course this presumes foreknowledge, that is, reading the review after one has already seen the film in question.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3430 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:40 pm

I found Brighter Summer Day to be a major let-down, but not sure I'd give it a 5, maybe a 6.5 or so...

Gregory

#3431 Post by Gregory » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:16 pm

According to an online reviewer who named their account "The Ultimate Reviewer," the movie Ant-Man is evidence of a sinister Hollywood plot.
Great story idea. Why is it that the family is always separated in these modern movies? And why is it cliché? Because that is Hollywood's job; to break up the family. Highly enjoyable except for the family problems and the unnecessary language.
The traditional American family is currently endangered (as always!) and a notable part of the problem is that Ant-Man is estranged from his daughter.
Last edited by Gregory on Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3432 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Which part of the nefarious conspiracy results in Rudd becoming a better father and making peace with his child's new stepfather?

Never Cursed

#3433 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:45 am

Guess the movie, this time from Amazon. I haven't seen this movie, but it seems to me that he is exaggerating its flaws greatly.
neurys wrote:i could not make to 20 minutes..prob worst movie i seen in a while..those loud drums in he background made me wan to punch the tv..it was way too loud couldnt hear the dialog and got really confusing and frustrating cause the sound didnt make sense with the scenes..maybe the movie was supposed to be weird but it must be some kind of balance..like i said i had to turn it off...HORRIBLE
(sic)

knives

#3434 Post by knives » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:35 am

Birdman?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3435 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:47 am

Nope. I cheated and Googled it and man, would never have guessed it otherwise

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3436 Post by tenia » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:04 pm

Punch Drunk Love ? My parents weren't able to sit through the movie because of the non stop drum soundtrack until Sandler punches the window.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3437 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:07 pm

We found the author of the review, tenia's parents!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3438 Post by tenia » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:26 pm

domino harvey wrote:We found the author of the review, tenia's parents!
With their level of English, it would be even more ridiculous. :D (joke aside, it IS extremely close to my memories of their reaction to the movie's first 20 minutes or so).

Never Cursed

#3439 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:00 pm

Multiple Amazon reviewers who had seen the same movie wrote:very little action..very slow and boring, this movie is the exact same triangle love story as the movie 'preal harbor'
save your money, the trailer is misleading.

This is absolutely the worst movie and most boring movie I have ever seen, I've never filmed or directed a film, don't even know any actor personally, and I believe I could capture e audience more so with my dog or goats than this movie, couldn't wait till it was over. If they made alka seltzer for a bad movie I would have over dosed to get some relief. Ive never given a review because Ive never seen a movie so bad that i felt it deserved it but I have now! Don't wast your money, I'm absolutely astonished at those that gave this movie such a great rating, they must have seen another film or slept through this one. The bad thing is, I bought this movie because of the reviews and previews, had I just watched the previews I wouldn't have been as disappointed, and that all I have to say about that.

Most... boring... movie... ever! I could take the historical inaccuracies by themselves. What else can you expect from Hollywood? But then combined with everything else. ARRRGHH!!! This movie is more of an artistic piece than anything else- very little dialogue, some brooding narration here and there, scenic shots, etc. Normally I'm okay with that, but not when there is such poor acting, no apparent character development, very little to move the story forward, and then what does move it forward moves it at such a slow pace that I probably could have gone out to eat while leaving the movie playing, and it still would not have been over by the time I'd get back. I don't think I've ever wanted a movie to end so badly. The last ten minutes dragged on and on and on, and left me wondering when the heck it was going to wrap up! Inwardly I was screaming "MAKE IT STOP!!!!" If you're not prepared to be bombarded with supposed "artistic" monotony, then please take your money elsewhere!.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3440 Post by tenia » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:10 pm

I prefered this one : "It was kind of weird"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3441 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:18 pm

Can't find this one, someone spoil it

stevewhamola

#3442 Post by stevewhamola » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:22 pm

I had guessed The New World, THEN verified with Google. I didn't cheat, I swear!!

Never Cursed

#3443 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:26 pm

William Flanagan wrote:(Editorial Note: Criterion folks, this exceptional film "cries out" for digital restoration. Commercially releasing it [on HULU] in this condition is deplorable!) Film = solid three (3); cinematography = four (4) stars; interior set design = 4.5 stars; subtitles = three (3) stars; sound = 2.5 stars; restoration = zero (0). Director Kenji Mizoguchi has created a back-stage photo play about all-male Kabuki (dance combined with drama) troupes circa mid 1800s. This is essentially a Kabuki-flavored movie (see below) about performing Kabuki. Popular Kabuki actors are depicted as the rock stars of their time complete with extravagant promotional parades, parasitic hanger-oners, and groupies. There are no surprises in the scenario. All outcomes are telegraphed well in advance. You do not have to be a fan of Kabuki (an acquired taste?) to enjoy this film. Kabuki performances are kept to a minimum except for the last third of the film which does suffer a bit from Kabuki overkill to underline a plot point (easy remedied by the fast-forward button on your remote!). Because of the absence of restoration, facial expressions of actresses and actors can not be determined (even in close-ups), hence depriving the viewer of seeing complete performances. Actress Kakuko Mori plays a totally self-sacrificing character (from under-appreciated wet nurse to scapegoat actor's wife); she easily steals every scene she is in with understated bravado performances. Not so much for leading actor Gonjurô Kawarazaki who seems to have something other than acting on his mind (being called up for military service, perhaps?). Mizoguchi uses open-wall interior sets which enable the camera to follow actresses and actors as they move from room to room and floor to floor in single long takes (no cuts). (These are some of the best--if not the best--dolly [tracking] shots in Japanese sound films to date!) (The Director's long takes foreshadow what Hitchcock used to prevent Selznick from re-editing his films.) Perhaps most notable is Mizoguchi's remarkable death bed scene (at the film's end) which goes on for seven uninterrupted minutes or so. This technique can be a double-edged sword, however. The middle of the film sags precisely because of overly long takes of performers doing very little (or nothing). Cinematography is also exceptionally creative for exterior scenes with long-tracking point-up shots predominating. The score has a heavy flavor of Kabuki music; except for the opening credits, it consist of a solitary background singer, drums, shamisen, and other instruments commonly used in Kabuki performances. Opening credits are accompanied by a small under-rehearsed orchestra with frequent audio distortions. Microphone placement often picks up loud thumping of actors' feet on interior-set floors. Subtitles are close enough, but none of the solitary background singer's lyrics are translated. Highly recommended especially when digitally restored. WILLIAM FLANIGAN, PhD.
This one, (the only Amazon review of Story Of The Last Chrysanthemum) I couldn't hide if I tried, but this guy's lack of knowledge still astounds me.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3444 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:47 pm

Other than the reviewer's unawareness that there are no good sources of Story of Last Chrysanthemums to significantly improve on, what is so awful about the review? (Not the review I would write, but I obviously have a different perspective).

Never Cursed

#3445 Post by Never Cursed » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:57 pm

I guess what ticked me off was his constant complaints about the lack of "restoration," when in reality the release was very badly hurt by excessive post-processing.

tarpilot

#3446 Post by tarpilot » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:59 pm

I was under the impression it was more the moronic Hitchcock aside, yuk-yuk-fast-forward!, and flubs (hanger-oners; bravado instead of, presumably, bravura) that should be mortifying for a "PhD". Or at least one who doesn't use it to sign his fucking Amazon reviews

Gregory

#3447 Post by Gregory » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:20 pm

In his review of the Oshima Eclipse set, he writes his name in all caps four times throughout the review so that no one forgets which person with a PhD wrote all the insulting and shallow comments on the films. Apparently he's a fan of fast-forwarding through parts of films if the actors aren't attractive enough for him, and he claims that the repetition built into the structure of Three Resurrected Drunkards was used "to stretch out what is really a 12-minute short to reach an 80-minute release time."

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3448 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Mungo wrote:I guess what ticked me off was his constant complaints about the lack of "restoration," when in reality the release was very badly hurt by excessive post-processing.
I've seen this screened several times since 2000. There is simply no way one is ever going to seen a truly adequate presentation -- absent discovery of time travel (which would allow one to find a non-ravaged film source).

Addendum -- I looked at William Flanigan Ph.D.'s other reviews of Japanese (and other Asian) films -- and by and large he comes across as pretty much an idiot. The review in question here is probably _better_ than his average.

Big Ben

#3449 Post by Big Ben » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Gregory wrote:In his review of the Oshima Eclipse set, he writes his name in all caps four times throughout the review so that no one forgets which person with a PhD wrote all the insulting and shallow comments on the films. Apparently he's a fan of fast-forwarding through parts of films if the actors aren't attractive enough for him, and he claims that the repetition built into the structure of Three Resurrected Drunkards was used "to stretch out what is really a 12-minute short to reach an 80-minute release time."
While I thought this was a hit and miss box set myself (And Oshima is one of my favorites) those reviews are atrocious. Nice find.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3450 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Surprisingly the PhD does like a few good films -- but one wonders why he spends so much time watching Japanese films he neither understands nor likes.

He knows a lot less than he thinks he knows -- for instance, he thinks 47 Loyal Ronin is about a plot to murder the Shogun. He also derides Kinoshita for not shooting 24 Eyes in cinemascope, not realizing that wide screen movie making had not yet reached Japan at this point.