Avant-Garde, Experimental & Non-narrative Films on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
tryavna

#51 Post by tryavna » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:48 am

Of course, the All Day disc is the Epstein version, not the Watson-Webber version. Wasn't sure if you knew that, Colin. As far as I know, the All Day DVD is the only available release of Epstein's film (which is far superior to the Watson-Webber version, in my opinion).

colinr0380

#52 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Oops, sorry I missed that small detail! #-o

neuro

#53 Post by neuro » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:01 am

I can't find a firm release date for these two titles, but if they are to be released, they're sure to be a major event - nearly on-par with the Anger releases. That said, I haven't heard a word about either. Anyone?

Robert Frank: The Complete Film Works, Vol. 1

Robert Frank: The Complete Film Works, Vol. 2

Arn777

#54 Post by Arn777 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:25 am

Steidl put out 'Me and my brother' as a book + dvd earlier this year, I haven't bought it as I have waited for these complete works volumes. IIRC, they are planning more than 2 volumes over the next years.

ltfontaine

#55 Post by ltfontaine » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:09 pm

It will be interesting to see whether a future volume includes one notorious title, in particular, without which the collection can never be truly "complete."

Arn777

#56 Post by Arn777 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:16 pm

Yes, it will be in Vol 3, as shown in the spring/summer 07 catalogue. So sometimes in 2008

ghostargot

#57 Post by ghostargot » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:43 am

Juno is having a HELL of a deal on the Hermann Nitsch CD+DVD+Book set. This retails for £50 at UK Amazon.
On this DVD there is a 4-hour overview of all 'Actions' of 1962-2003, as well as an interview from 2005. The 80-page book (German/English) with a text by Florian Schreiner and numerous photos explains the theoretical basis of Nitsch's work. On the CD are recordings of the 122nd 'Action' in the castle theatre Vienna. Hand-numbered edition of 1000 copies worldwide.

subliminac

#58 Post by subliminac » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:17 am

Could anyone comment on the quality of the two re:voir Philippe Garrel DVDs now available - Le Révélateur and Le Lit de la Vierge? I'm interested in any response you may have to them as films as well. I've been thinking about picking them up but $82 for a blind buy of two DVDs is a bit much. Thanks.

ghostargot

#59 Post by ghostargot » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:59 am

I just ordered this the other day after hearing great things about it. I'll post a review once I receive it.

Frans Zwartjes: The Great Cinema Magician

zedz

#60 Post by zedz » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:41 am

I don't think anybody has reported back (directly) on this yet, but I'm delighted to report that the Su Friedrich box set is superb.

Of course, the first thing to note is that it's not actually a box set, but rather a shrinkwrapped collection of five excellent DVDs. I've watched two of the films so far, one of her early silent scratch / found footage works and the magnificent Rules of the Road, and the transfers are exquisite, given the means of production. Direct from the original negatives, and it shows. Each disc has one substantial work plus one or two shorts (though, in the case of The Lesbian Avengers Eat Fire Too, "short" means "as long as the accompanying feature"), and six to eight pages of liner notes (contemporary review extracts, mainly).

This is a hugely significant body of work. Friedrich is one of the few experimental filmmakers to excel in structural, confessional, political and documentary modes, often simultaneously, plus she's a superbly creative narrative artist and often wickedly funny.

Sink or Swim is about as good as American film gets. In it, Friedrich juggles a reverse-alphabetical, forward-biographical chapter structure that would challenge Greenaway with an extremely moving evocation of her relationship with her father. As noted above (sorry I don't remember who made the eloquent post), The Ties that Bind is an excellent companion piece in which Friedrich, in more traditional documentary mode, mutely interrogates her mother.

Rules of the Road is a blast. The narrator (Su, we guess, but the narrative is so perfectly formed it's hard to believe it's strictly confessional) mulls over a past relationship through the vehicle of the vehicle she shared with her girlfriend, a beige Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser station wagon with fake wood panelling on the side (and chocolate velour upholstery that preserved the smell of their cigarette smoke). The dry, wry narration relates the ebb and flow (mostly ebb) of their relationship while the camera ever more obsessively catalogues all of the beige station wagons in New York (searching, it dawns on us, for The One - or is It searching for her? At one point she's surrounded by them). It's funny, revealing, and gloriously romantic, not just about relationships gone by, but about the allure of the automobile, plus it's got a fabulous soundtrack of late eighties car-radio hits.

I've seen most of the other films (apart from The Odds of Recovery) before and can recommend them all. Damned If You Don't is the high-concept lesbian nun seduction one (with inevitable genuflection towards Black Narcissus), Hide and Seek is a bold attempt at a dyke's-eye-view of the coming-of-age-at-high-school genre, with pithy documentary and found footage interjections. Gently Down the Stream is one of the finest dream films I've ever seen.

If you're at all interested in these films, don't hesitate.

Cash Flagg

#61 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:12 pm

Volume 1, with a release date of May 28th, is available for pre-order from Barnes and Noble. Member price is $84.37, though with the expected 25% off coupons, the price should be much lower. I didn't see Volume 2 on their website, nor does Amazon seem to carry Volume 1 (yet?).

Gregory

#62 Post by Gregory » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:08 pm

Prestige pricing, anyone? I don't understand why they're spreading these films across so many discs. The second volume is especially egregious: 95 minutes worth of material on three discs. The online discounts help, but they don't get it anywhere near within a realistic price for a set containing three short films. The packaging is fairly unique, of course, but it shouldn't have driven up the cost all that much. Those tin cases can be bought in bulk online for well under $1 each, and that's retail price.

Alphonso

#63 Post by Alphonso » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:10 pm

ghostargot wrote:I just ordered this the other day after hearing great things about it. I'll post a review once I receive it.

Haven't heard of Zwartjes, but the one film availabe on youtube is worth viewing. I'd be interested in hearing more from those familiar with his work.

planetjake

#64 Post by planetjake » Sat May 10, 2008 3:35 pm

After just over 2 years,
Index-DVD has finally updated it's release calender. I'm particularly excited about the Marie Menken shorts.

luridedith

#65 Post by luridedith » Sat May 10, 2008 7:37 pm

ghostargot wrote:I just ordered this the other day after hearing great things about it. I'll post a review once I receive it.

That DVD is absolutely incredible and very English-friendly. With the exception of the only full feature included (Pentimento, which I found really unfocused and boring as hell), pretty much every single short is worthwhile. Living is one of my favourite short films of all time and Audition is amazing too, very strange and emotional. Everyone who has any interest in experimental film NEEDS to check out Frans Zwartjes.

Gregory

#66 Post by Gregory » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:57 pm

Those seeking DVDs of Harry Smith's films (I think new member 'osmin' mentioned them, at least) should be aware of The Harry Smith Project: The Anthology of American Folk Music Revisited. It's a 2 CD/2 DVD set from Shout Factory that includes Smith's Films #2, #7, and #10 as bonus features on the fourth disc. I was faintly aware of this project around the time the concerts took place, but I didn't know this set existed, and wouldn't have guessed they included any of his film work, until I saw the box used at a local record shop recently. The films are a joy to behold, and it's nice to be able to watch them over and over, especially #10, in order to fully realize what they achieve. The DVD features optional music tracks to go along with the films (Philip Glass, D.J. Spooky, etc.) but I recommend the silent option.

Cash Flagg

#67 Post by Cash Flagg » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:02 pm

The Collected Films of Takahiko Iimura is being released on Tuesday by Microcinema. Is anyone here familiar with his work?

Gregory

#68 Post by Gregory » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:The Collected Films of Takahiko Iimura is being released on Tuesday by Microcinema. Is anyone here familiar with his work?
I think the only one of his I've watched is one called "I'm (Not) Seen." I can comment on it if you want, but that one isn't included in this DVD release. Did you happen to see the DVD Talk review? It's something, anyway.

Adam

#69 Post by Adam » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:20 pm

We'll be doing a good retrospective in Los Angeles of Taka Iimura that I'm organizing, with Iimura in person, in March 2009. He's produced a lot of very vital film & video work. We'll probably have screenings at multiple venues around the city.

I also co-produced the documentaries in The Harry Smith Project: The Anthology of American Folk Music Revisited, so if anyone has questions about that...

Gregory

#70 Post by Gregory » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks to Faeton for posting the blurb and the list of contents for the upcoming Treasures IV set here, but I thought this might be the best place to discuss it. The pdf of the brochure can be viewed at the NFPF site. It says that the SRP will be $45, which is quite a steal for a collection over five hours long (and with a nice book) that includes so many films that required so much care to present.
As for the selection, I'm extremely pleased, and even surprised with what they're offering. Many of these I didn't realize had been preserved by NFPF-supported archives.
I find Lawder's Necrology a total riot. Can't wait to see this, Fake Fruit Factory, the Baillie, the early Jacobs piece, and so many others.

zedz

#71 Post by zedz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:28 pm

I've just noticed the existence of this experimental compilation fom the DFI. Can anybody comment on it?

EDIT: Plus, on follow-up, I found out how advanced the DFI's mammoth Jorgen Leth project was. I was aware of the first of these sets, but now there are four of them, adding up to 1400+ minutes of material.

vertovfan

#72 Post by vertovfan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:42 am

Has anyone seen this Swedish experimental compilation? Looks interesting, wish I knew the language.

denti alligator

Re: Avant-garde & experimental film on DVD

#73 Post by denti alligator » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:44 pm

Details of Treasures of the American Film Archives IV:
We are delighted to announce that Treasures IV: American Avant-Garde Film, 1947-1986, the latest in the NFPF's Treasures DVD series, will be available on March 3, 2009. The two-disc set presents 26 avant-garde films never before available on quality video in North America and features new music by John Zorn and a 70-page book of program notes introduced by Martin Scorsese. Retail price: $44.99, 312 minutes.

Films include:

- Bruce Baillie - Here I am (1962)
- Wallace Berman - Aleph (1956-66)
- Stan Brakahge - The riddle of lumen (1972)
- Robert Breer - Eyewash (1959)
- Shirley Clarke - Bridges-go-round (1958)
- Joseph Cornell - By night with torch and spear (1940s?)
- Storm de Hirsch - Peyote queen (1965)
- Hollis Frampton- (nostalgia) (1971)
- Larry Gottheim - Fog line (1970)
- Ken Jacobs - Little stabs at happiness (1959-63)
- Lawrence Jordan - Hamfat Asar (1965)
- George Kuchar - I, an actress (1977)
- Owen Land - New improved institutional quality: In the environmnt of liquids and nasals a parasitic vowel sometimes develops (1976)
- Standish Lawder - Necrology (1969-70)
- Saul Levine - Note to Pati (1969)
- Christopher Maclaine - The end (1953)
- Jonas Mekas - Notes on the circus (1966)
- Marie Menken - Go! Go! Go! (1962-64)
- Robert Nelson and William T.Wiley - The off-handed jape... & how to pull it off (1967)
- Pat O'Neill - 7362 (1967)
- Ron Rice - Chumlum (1964)
- Paul Sharits - Bad burns (1982)
- Jane Conger Belson Shimane - Odds & ends (1959)
- Harry Smith - Film no.3: Interwoven (1947-49)
- Chick Strand - Fake fruit factory (1986)
- Andy Warhol - Mario Banana (no.1) (1964)

Adam

#74 Post by Adam » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:09 pm

Excellent. It's a superb range of films. Any one of them is worth the price of getting it.

Gregory

#75 Post by Gregory » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:00 pm

Would there be any objections to merging this thread into this one?