It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:35 am 
not perpee

Saw the UK BD last night. The quality of the feature on the BD is gobsmacking throughout. (Discs 1 and 2 have been mislabelled (the film is on Disc 2)).

I hadn't seen the film for 20 years and "seen" doesn't amount to much when this sole viewing was on the TV and you've forgotten most of it.

Apart from O'Toole's incredible performance and the ridiculously beautiful photography and direction, I'm not an enormous fan of the film, but I really enjoyed the Blu-ray.

The god-awful-to-view-and-navigate "Secrets of Arabia: Picture-in-Graphic Track extra" imparts Wikipedia factoids at a deathly snail's pace. Only large studios that live in a vacuum think this sort of extra is the best way to present information. (It is reportedly the longest film not to have any dialog spoken by a woman, and the only female in the film is apparently a camel called Gladys.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:54 am 

LOA: Yowsa! 4K restoration viewed this evening in Twin Cities, Minnesota. Gorgeous as reported, but sound wasn't "cranked" enough. Still, thrilling. Sadly, the showing was poorly advertised (as in NOT), so maybe only 75-100 people in attendance. But it was a joy to sit with an audience that paid rapt attention, obviously enthralled, and applauded at the end. Very much looking forward to the US blu ray like everyone else here! \:D/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:52 pm 

This is probably the most appropriate place for this question: The collector's edition of Lawrence of Arabia comes with a film frame. When DVDs come with frames like this, does everyone get the same frame, or do they vary from set to set?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:54 pm 

At least in the Lawrence of Arabia collector's edition, each package comes with a unique frame.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:55 pm 

Do they just grab a decent looking print and cut out select frames? It would be a nice way of disposing a damaged or worn print that otherwise has well-preserved stretches of film.

Would also be kind of funny (but awful) if they weren't so selective of the frames they package in their sets:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:25 am 

I don't think they're being selective at all. Someone at HTF got a frame from the Overture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 am 
Dot Com Dom

ShellOilJunior wrote:
I don't think they're being selective at all. Someone at HTF got a frame from the Overture.

That's hilarious and way better than some typical shot of sand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:41 am 

Uh, I believe it was someone at HTF making a joke about getting a frame from the overture.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:07 pm 

I'd be honored to get a frame from the Overture.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:42 pm 

I received the giant box, and it seems a bit of a scam that the 2 bonus discs are on single layer discs, as they could've been combined to 1 disc....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:21 pm 

manicsounds wrote:
I received the giant box, and it seems a bit of a scam that the 2 bonus discs are on single layer discs, as they could've been combined to 1 disc....

That's because bonus disc 1 comes with the regular set, and bonus disc 2 is exclusive to the box/gift set.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:51 pm 

Found this detailed article on the 4k restoration as I was looking for info on the new 70mm print. Good read that highlights the challenges of restoring this in digital as much of the damage had been covered up via wetgate printing.