Buster Keaton on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Kris

Re: Buster Keaton on DVD

#151 Post by Kris » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:00 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Last summer or thereabouts Cohen said within a couple of years they will release The General (4K) on bluray.
In Spain the Cohen4K-restoration ist already available.

senseabove

#152 Post by senseabove » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Anyone care to set us straight on what's going on with this Kino Keaton re-release?

Based on the latest press release over at That Other Site and a few other birdies in a few other forums, it sounds like the quiet re-release of the Kino box set from a month or so ago included the new Lobster 2K restorations as well as the upgraded shorts set, and now they're just releasing the individual discs with the 2k Lobster restorations?

But ultimately they're just squeezing these out before their rights expire next year, when a separate set of 4K restorations by Cohen will likely get released? And the Cohen restorations are from different elements?

The Kino trailer for the 2K Lobster restorations sure does look good... but at this point I'm tempted to just sell my Kino box, enjoy my MoC Shorts box, and wait for it to all shake out.

FrauBlucher

#153 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Cohen is indeed releasing the 4K in 2017. Several of them screened at the TCM film festival. Not sure about elements, but I'll assume that Cohen has the truer elements or as close to than Lobster.

I would hold off on buying this current group that Kino announced until Cohen releases there version. The Cohen The General will probably have the Carl Davis score.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re:

#154 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:31 pm

Forgotten Goldfish wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:05 am
The Stolen Jools is on many DVDs of public domain Laurel & Hardy material. No doubt most of the transfers would be horrendous, and incomplete (the little bits of song from “Maurice Chandelierâ€
I watched this fundraiser short today, though the copy I saw was clearly cut in some places (the first stanza of Barbara Stanwyck’s poem is missing and all but a brief shot of Chevalier remains). I think I liked this way more than most, but it helps the enjoyment level to be able to ID the insane run of cameos in this thing (some of which are completely forgotten today, even by those with strong knowledge of the era). But I was surprised at how funny it was— if anyone watching doesn’t crack up at the excellent opening sitcom skit of Wallace Beery as a corrupt LA cop answering distress calls, you might as well hit stop right away. It may be a mess, but compared to Hollywood’s other contemporary attempts at this like the Hollywood Revue of 1929, it’s practically Lubitsch

Calvin

#155 Post by Calvin » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:02 am

Anybody know why Le roi des Champs-Élysées has never seen a release? It seems to have got a French VHS release but nothing since.

Revelator

#156 Post by Revelator » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:37 pm

There must still be some rights issues, since Le roi des Champs-Élysées is a no-brainer for release--a long-"lost" Keaton feature that's better than his MGM talkies. But I was glad that Keaton's other hard-to-find French film, Un duel à mort, was finally released on Kino's 2019 edition of Our Hospitality.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#157 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:59 pm

Revelator wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:37 pm
But I was glad that Keaton's other hard-to-find French film, Un duel à mort, was finally released on Kino's 2019 edition of Our Hospitality.
Thanks for pointing this out, I hadn't noticed!