Buster Keaton on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Kris

Re: Buster Keaton on DVD

#151 Post by Kris » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:00 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Last summer or thereabouts Cohen said within a couple of years they will release The General (4K) on bluray.
In Spain the Cohen4K-restoration ist already available.

senseabove

#152 Post by senseabove » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Anyone care to set us straight on what's going on with this Kino Keaton re-release?

Based on the latest press release over at That Other Site and a few other birdies in a few other forums, it sounds like the quiet re-release of the Kino box set from a month or so ago included the new Lobster 2K restorations as well as the upgraded shorts set, and now they're just releasing the individual discs with the 2k Lobster restorations?

But ultimately they're just squeezing these out before their rights expire next year, when a separate set of 4K restorations by Cohen will likely get released? And the Cohen restorations are from different elements?

The Kino trailer for the 2K Lobster restorations sure does look good... but at this point I'm tempted to just sell my Kino box, enjoy my MoC Shorts box, and wait for it to all shake out.

FrauBlucher

#153 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Cohen is indeed releasing the 4K in 2017. Several of them screened at the TCM film festival. Not sure about elements, but I'll assume that Cohen has the truer elements or as close to than Lobster.

I would hold off on buying this current group that Kino announced until Cohen releases there version. The Cohen The General will probably have the Carl Davis score.