Joan Crawford on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

#26 Post by Lino » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:16 am

Apparently, this will be available as a set only and not individually. A shame. I'm not that big a Crawford fan to want to spring for the whole deal.

Matt

#27 Post by Matt » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Lino wrote:Apparently, this will be available as a set only and not individually. A shame. I'm not that big a Crawford fan to want to spring for the whole deal.
I'm not that big a Crawford fan either, but the roles in this set are arguably more "quintessentially Crawford" than those in the first set (excepting Mildred Pierce). I think you would especially enjoy Flamingo Road.

shearerchic

#28 Post by shearerchic » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Yeah with the exception of the hilariously campy Torch Song, the other 4 films are Joan's trademark films. She gives two of her strongest performances in Strange Cargo and A Woman's Face and to see her go at it with Sydney Greenstreet is a must see.

Lino

#29 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:47 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:43 pm

davidhare wrote:Torch Song in 1.85?
It says it's 1.66 on DVDBeaver, not 1.85...

rohmerin

#31 Post by rohmerin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:27 am

any news about the European release? The Bette Davis' films arrive to Spain next month, but not Joan Crawford for this moment #-o

Matt

Re: Joan Crawford on DVD

#32 Post by Matt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Pretty much on a whim, I rented Above Suspicion, a Warner Archive title starring Joan Crawford and Fred MacMurray (plus Basil Rathbone and a very game Conrad Veidt). It's an entertaining bit of propagandistic spy fluff, along the lines of Night Train to Munich or The Lady Vanishes. Slight, but well-made. Though Joan gives her role the college try, she is slightly miscast and seems a little old for it (it would have been a perfect fit for Carole Lombard).

triodelover

#33 Post by triodelover » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:50 pm

david hare wrote:Essential for life if one still drinks martinis.
Still? One stops?

knives

#34 Post by knives » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Good luck on one of those as TCM just released the Miller in a pretty excellent set.

hamsterburger

#35 Post by hamsterburger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Hey, guys.

This is a drunken post, as I just came home from some beers, and shots.
david hare wrote:Now that this thread is revived, where oh where is a legit release of Female on the Beach?
I got the US DVD of Female on the Beach from TCM archives a few days ago, and although it’s MOD and without subs or extras the picture is good and the film is astounding.

Loved it!

Man, this has got to be Plato’s idea of a perfect Joan Crawford film, she goes from bitchy, to horny, amorous, and suspicions of murder, just by moving her eyebrows. I also love the beach boy-bum-man that may or may not be trying to kill her. I forget his name, Jewish actor from Cochise. Boy, is he some kind of beefcake-meets-sleazebag that is perfectly designed to appeal to the 50’s female movie audience. Fantastic.

Also, The score is great and I love the scenery and architecture. The setting made me think of Reckless Moment.

I love these female aimed melodrama/thrillers. If it were a noir or a western someone would be reappraising it right now, but very few people seem to give a damn about Crawford’s late/middle period. This is a kind of film that is to darn underrated and needs to be seen more.

Its great how so many so called second tier films of Crawford’s have become available through Warner Archive and TCM. I have imported some Columbia/Sony DVDs from Spain and other places but it’s good to se them in official English language versions too.

After trying pretty systematically to go through Crawford’s filmography a year ago while I was living in a small town and had money to burn on DVDs, I have seen about 25 of her features and have to say I have gone from a Bette Davis fan to be all about Joan.

I want to start a list project with Crawford-films. And proselytize. What are your favourites? Come on. Hook me up.
david hare wrote: Essential for life if one still drinks martinis.
Anyway, I just spilled my drink on my laptop, but I think I wiped most away. Yeah, the keys seem to be working. I am drinking Jägermeister. Would love a martini though.