It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:18 am 

carax09 wrote:
Here's to COMPLETELY UNGUARDED OPTIMISM!!

Hey, as long as its the right movie, the right length, and the right aspect ratio, I'm a happy guy. I won't be expecting magic until I have to pay for them in HD. As the final step in home entertainment, they better get all the classics right the first time on HD. these DVDs are just a profitable step in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:06 am 
Happy-Fun Sunshine Minion of Intolerance

COMPLETELY UNGUARDED OPTIMISM (TM) is a dangerous thing, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:47 am 

Possibly the most important releases of the year. 1900 alone would be huge...but The Conformist is a monster. Check out the book Masters of Light, and see how frequently the cinematographers interviewed therein reference The Conformist. That goddamn thing became a kind of light-and-color primer for the seventies moviemakers.

Ahh, listen to me bloviate. I'm just damn excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:02 pm 

DVD Empire has both of these up for pre-order with a variation of the "1900" art deco poster as cover art and a running time of 315 minutes listed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:12 pm 

Can't wait to see the extras. I know there is a "making of..." documentary out there and most likely a commentary by Bertolucci is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:21 pm 
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

Both titles seem to have the choice of English, French and Italian soundtracks which if it proves to be correct, will be more than welcome!

BTW, that documentary you mentioned, Cinephrenic -- is this the one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:24 pm 

That's it! 70 minutes long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:54 pm 

From DavisDVD:

Quote:
Paramount Home Entertainment has revealed details for their upcoming release of 1900: Special Collector's Edition. Due on December 5th, the two-disc set will feature the 315-min. cut of the film presented in a new anamorphic widescreen transfer, English Dolby Digital 2.0, Italian & French Dolby Digital Mono tracks and optional English subtitles. Extras will include featurettes with insights from director Bernardo Bertolucci as he reflects on the casting, the difficult filming and production as well as the release of this controversial film. Retail is $19.99.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:05 pm 
Waster of Cinema

No specs for The Conformist yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:08 am 

Here is the final art for 1900. I just knew that deco poster was too good to be true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:24 am 
Waster of Cinema

It could have been worse. Frankly, I feel that the art-deco poster is slightly misleading.

Still no final specs for The Conformist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:25 am 

I like the "1900" cover art, and I do agree with Gordon; as cool as the art deco poster is, it is a little misleading.

I'm excited for this release, not in the least because I'm expecting a definitive transfer to blow me away with its restored colors. The film is, for me, a lot about colors (particularly the natural sunlight and shimmering maple of the opening two hours), and while the Italian DVD retains the color palette, the German DVD basically wipes it away. It's an interesting film, with some unforgettable scenes and images, and such a strange chapter in Bertolucci's career. With the supplemental material it should be a great package.

I do wish, however, that Paramount had included the American release cut with it.

I just popped in my copy of the Italian R2 of "1900" (in Italian, no subs). It had been a while since I watched this film, and holy Jesus I forgot how exciting the filmmaking is!

The colors on the Paramount DVD better be as beautifully rendered as these shots (taken from the Italian R2)

Still no details for "The Conformist," but here are the finals specs for "1900":

-Widescreen Version Enhanced for 16x9 TVs
-Dolby Digital: English Stereo, Restored Italian Mono, French Mono
-English Subtitles, English Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
-The Making of 1900: From Conception to Controversy (Multi-Part Documentary)

I'm very much looking forward to how this film will be received on its new DVD release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:07 am 

no audiocommentary? what a shame. Also due to the importance of both films some scholarly imput would be very worthwhile...but I'm afraid only with film noir we can hope for that kind of extra's in major studio releases...

BTW I personally find the 1900 cover art pretty ugly, it looks rather cheap. The confomist is great though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:07 am 
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

Audio commentary on a 5 hour movie?! Thanks, but no thanks. I'm sure that the multi-part documentary will cover all grounds anyway.

I think we must all be grateful that Paramount is releasing this with some kind of extras instead of just the movie presentation. Let's not forget that this is a foreign movie and the chances of a Special Edition are always scarce no matter who the director is or the importance of the film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:20 am 

My assumption is that these films were personal favorites with some of the execs at paramount home video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:47 pm 

I assume that the "multi-part documentary" on 1900 will not be the making of referred to earlier. That's too bad as I would love to see that. Maybe it'll turn up on YouTube.

FWIW, I agree with AZAI. I'm no fan of the cover art--it looks like the kind of re-release art you'd get on a bargain bin DVD. And Depardieu looks suspiciously up to no good, like it's National Lampoon's 1900 or something.

Oh, and maybe Gordon or Dylan can explain why they think the art deco image is misleading. I don't get that. I don't think it's particularly misleading. And, what's more, it's gorgeous. In that respect it's completely appropriate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:18 pm 

Well, I love the art deco poster and think it would make a terrific cover, but I simply think the final cover (which I like, despite the fact that I agree with you on Depardieu's face) will attract more people because of the more conventionally epic way they're presenting it (and because of DeNiro's face). But make no mistake, I'd prefer the art deco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:58 pm 

I don't see how the original Art Deco poster could possibly be misleading. Bourgeoisie and the proletariats nicely displayed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:24 pm 

I do wish they were using the art deco, I just feel I understand why they didn't. It is also important to note that rarely do DVDs of older epics use the original poster art for their covers.

By the way, a print of the art deco poster can be purchased at Movie Goods.

It would also make a good desktop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:00 pm 

Quote:
Audio commentary on a 5 hour movie?! Thanks, but no thanks.

nobody says it has to be 5 hours....a scene selected one is also a possibility (like Scorsese on the WB releases). But I must admit I forgot for a moment that the film it is indeed 5 hours. :roll:

Let's hope the Conformist has one though I think you'll agree with me on that...

Quote:
like it's National Lampoon's 1900 or something.

:D =D>

I think the original poster is nice but it emphasises the latent PoMo nature of the film (which I think makes the film a failure in some respect, but is exactly why I like Bertolucci: a Mo in a PoMo world :lol: ) too much in it's pastiche-like quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:09 pm 

Specs for The Conformist:

Quote:
DVD Features:
Region 1
Keep Case - Sensormatic
Widescreen - 16.9

Audio:
Dolby Digital Mono - English
Dolby Digital Mono - Italian
Dolby Digital Mono - French
Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
Dolby Digital Mono - Brazilian Portuguese

Additional Release Material:

Featurettes - 1. THE RISE OF THE CONFORMIST: THE STORY, THE CAST
2. SHADOW AND LIGHT: FILMING THE CONFORMIST
3. THE CONFORMIST: BREAKING NEW GROUND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:47 pm 
Waster of Cinema

Ah, excellent! Thanks, Gigi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:47 pm 

Awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:09 pm 
Happy-Fun Sunshine Minion of Intolerance

I'm buying it just for the sensormatic keep case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:10 pm 

I guess no audio commentary?....oh well!!.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next