The Conformist and 1900

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Tim

#176 Post by Tim » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:45 am

I watched The Conformist yesterday, loved the transfer, but had a problem at what I assume was a layer change. At the moment in the film when Clerici emerges from the lift (elevator) and pauses before turning down the hotel corridor the image froze briefly and then "melted" as a different image got mixed up with it, before picking up again. It wasn't clear how much of the film had been skipped. Has anybody else had a similar experience, or is there something wrong with my particular disc?

Dylan

#177 Post by Dylan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:43 pm

It sounds like a faulty disc. You might want to try it out on another DVD player to see if this problem is player specific (sometimes certain DVD players will throw a fit with the odd DVD), but if it isn't, definitely try to get a replacement disc from where you bought it, or from Paramount themselves. Has anybody else experienced this?

By the way, does anybody here remember the original American theatrical trailers for "The Conformist" and "1900?" As we know, they aren't on the DVDs, and I'm very curious how these were marketed during their release, particularly "1900," with its huge length and (by 1977, when it hit American screens) controversial reputation.

Lino

#178 Post by Lino » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:43 pm

Dylan wrote:By the way, does anybody here remember the original American theatrical trailers for "The Conformist" and "1900?" As we know, they aren't on the DVDs, and I'm very curious how these were marketed during their release, particularly "1900," with its huge length and (by 1977, when it hit American screens) controversial reputation.
Well, I've always wanted to see what they looked like too and Paramount not including them is another reason for me to loathe their DVD policy (Sony does the same stupid thing on most of their DVD output).

But as luck'd have it, I went googling and found the original italian theatrical trailer for 1900! And here it is. Enjoy.

Gordon

#179 Post by Gordon » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:38 am

I recently acquire the Blue Underground DVD of the 1971 giallo, shot by Storaro, The Fifth Cord and I was blown away by the visual majesty on display! Extraordinary set design, lighting schemes and compositions. If you love The Conformist, then check out The Fifth Cord - it's mind-blowing. It even includes a pure black-on-white silhouette scene amongst the striking color schemes. Silly plot, though.

On the DVD, Storaro is interviewed (he speaks in Italian on this occassion) and he mentions the unfilmed project that he was to work with Antonioni on in the early 70s and he refers to it as, Technically Sweet and that Dominique Sanda was to star. Such a pity that it didn't come to fruition.

jmj713

#180 Post by jmj713 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:33 pm

Can someone explain the hatred for yellow subtitles. I don't mind them at all; white, yellow - doesn't really matter to me. Am I ill?

Barmy

#181 Post by Barmy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:35 pm

Yes you are ill. There is no reason whatsoever for yellow subtitles. None. Obviously white will be less obtrusive.

MichaelB

#182 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:57 am

Extract from the DVD File review of '1900':
On rare occasions, the picture will very slightly shiver in its sprocket, but how much can you expect from such an old, foreign film?
For casual xenophobia, this is up there with the legendary British newspaper review of Clouzot's Les Diaboliques - "vulgar, nasty and French". But that was written in the 1950s - what's this guy's excuse?

dx23

#183 Post by dx23 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:33 pm

According to this list in DVDTALK, 1900 went out of print. WTF? Didn't this come out on December?

Rich Malloy

#184 Post by Rich Malloy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:31 pm

Yes, see this thread at DVD TALK linking to another site that notes that Paramount has discontinued the DVD and speculates that this is due to controversy regarding the "mature content" in the previously unavailable uncut version.

As I noted in that thread, this development almost makes me want to pick up a copy, but my overall antipathy toward Bertolucci's films, and particularly the godawful "Novecento", will hopefully keep me from succumbing to the horrible "collector's mentality" that I feel creeping up.

Lino

#185 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:01 pm

Hey, no one's forcing you to buy a masterpiece if you don't like it.

Rich Malloy

#186 Post by Rich Malloy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Masterpiece? To each his own, certainly, but of course I was referring to "no one" but my own baser instincts honed by a lifetime's worth of living in a society that's sick in a very particular way. You know, the very same dynamic that can turn a film-lover into a DVD collector, a buff into a mere consumer.

And so it was when I read about Paramount discontinuing this disc. I felt that perverse strain of consumerism that occasionally overrides my personal tastes and better instincts, leading me to make purchases for no better reason than to possess something that's rare or will be... even if I couldn't care less for it. So, indeed, "no one" but myself.

But I overcame my moment of weakness, and instead I'll leave that copy of "Novecento" on the shelf for someone who might better appreciate it.

sevenarts

#187 Post by sevenarts » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:42 pm

Well I for one love Bertolucci's films but had been putting this one off since I'm not sure when I'll have the uninterrupted stretch of time to watch it -- but now I ordered it rather than wait till it's fetching collector's prices. It's kind of ridiculous that they'd take it off the shelves so quickly, I really don't get why.

Rich Malloy

#188 Post by Rich Malloy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:11 pm

My guess as to "why" is either the unsheathed wangs of the younger Olmo and Alfredo or the unsheathed wangs of the older Olmo and Alfredo. Hollywood hate wang.

Just a guess. I think the scene with the older Olmo and Alfredo goes on a bit longer than I recall in the old VHS edition, which is my only other exposure to "Novecento", but I'm really not sure. Maybe it was the slaughter of the pigs, which I'm fairly certain was longer/more graphic in the new DVD...but then maybe I'm just more sensitive to that stuff now? I really cringed when Sutherland strapped the cat to the post, though from the way the scene is cut, I'm fairly certain -hopeful, anyway- that the little feline wasn't injured, much less killed.

Lino

#189 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:13 pm

Rich Malloy wrote:Maybe it was the slaughter of the pigs
Or the killing of the cat. Or the killing of the child. Or the fact that people confuse movies with reality too much.

Rich Malloy

#190 Post by Rich Malloy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:17 pm

In case my grip on reality is being questioned, I maintain my belief that the cat wasn't actually killed. And I'm fairly certain the kid wasn't either. The pigs on the other hand...

kinjitsu

#191 Post by kinjitsu » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:25 pm

Rich Malloy wrote:Hollywood hate wang.
Bernardo Bertolucci wrote:When I finished the movie I said I couldn't cut one frame. But later I saw that the movie could be cut. Instead of a castration, I arrived at an artistic work. What we have now is the film I want ... I didn't remove any sequences. I cut short pieces of film. The difference is only in the rhythm. The meaning, the strength, is absolutely the same ... I didn't want to cut [shots of] the two men naked.

Cinephrenic

#192 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:31 pm

Or the killing of the cat. Or the killing of the child. Or the fact that people confuse movies with reality too much.
I think movies barely ghasps reality on the other hand. Art imitates life...

Barmy

#193 Post by Barmy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:34 pm

I heard the kid actually WAS killed. Sutherland insisted, and Hollywood types always get their way.

Rich Malloy

#194 Post by Rich Malloy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:39 pm

Bertolucci knew that Sutherland really had to kill the kid and the cat if we were to understand his overwhelming awfulness. Naming his character "Attila" was just too damn subtle.

Gordon

#195 Post by Gordon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Storaro's work on The Fifth Cord impresses me to a far greater degree. Seriously, folks, rent The Fifth Cord - the visuals will blow your mind!
Last edited by Gordon on Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dx23

#196 Post by dx23 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:40 pm

No need to worry, according to the same dvdtalk thread, the title is back in print.

SHOCKMASTER

#197 Post by SHOCKMASTER » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:26 pm

So, 1900 is not going out of print then? For sure???

manicsounds

#198 Post by manicsounds » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:08 am

Well if it happens to, Fox UK is going to release it with the same supplements next month. Can pick up that one instead.

But it doesnt seem like this will go out of print just yet.

Conformist is part of the $6 Paramount sale at DDD by the way

dx23

#199 Post by dx23 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:05 am

SHOCKMASTER wrote:So, 1900 is not going out of print then? For sure???
Well, according to the dvdtalk thread above, it won't. It still widely available online.

jon

#200 Post by jon » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:27 am

are they planning on rereleasing it with cuts?