One Million Years B.C.

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

#1 Post by Lino » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:43 am

Saw this one fairly recently and was very pleasantly surprised. I was hoping/dreading it would be another trip to cheeseland but no -- they actually take the pre-historical premise very seriously and apart from the opening narration (which I would have ditched anyday) there's not a word of english to be found here.

Now to the biggest problem with Fox's R1 release: apparently, it's the domestic release we're getting (91 minutes) and not the international one (98 minutes). The UK Warner/Studio Canal edition is the international cut BUT is non-anamorphic and doesn't carry english subs for the hearing impaired. However, it carries two interviews as extras: one with Ray Harryhausen (the man behind the amazing special-effects) and another with Raquel Welch (this was the film that launched her career). The US edition only has trailers for extras.

So, what to do? Well, if you're a completist -- buy both. If you're only mildly interested in this but nevertheless want the best image possible, buy the R1.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?se ... region=%25[/img]

Solaris

#2 Post by Solaris » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:45 am

This film has been released twice on R4, once by Universal and again by Fox.

The universal release is 1.78:1 (non-anamorphic), 98 mins, no subtitles and contains interviews with Raquel Welch and Ray Harryhausen.

The Fox release is 1.85:1 (anamorphic), 88 mins, English subtitles and contains a trailer and "Restoration Comparison".

I agree this is an underrated enjoyable flick.
If only the 1940 original will be released on DVD......

Lino

#3 Post by Lino » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:37 am

Solaris wrote:If only the 1940 original will be released on DVD......
Which one? Can't find any info on imdb.com about it.

Scharphedin2

#4 Post by Scharphedin2 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:25 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032871/ :-)

In fact, I think D.W. Griffith worked on this uncredited...

Lino

#5 Post by Lino » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:42 am

Now we're even! :wink:

Anyway, first time I ever heard about this one, though. But I'm at miss as to who owns the distribution rights for it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032871/companycredits

Seems to be a highly requested title.

Paul Moran

#6 Post by Paul Moran » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:55 am

I ended up with both versions.
I bought the R2 for £5.99 back in August 2003.
I later acquired the R1 as part of "The Raquel Welch Collection" 5-disc set in June 2004 (CAD$41.18 (£16.69) delivered to UK, from DVD Import, back when they actually used to ship DVDs).
My favourite RW movie is still "Fathom," mainly because of the lime green bikini.