It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:21 pm 

No idea about Ocean Waves, but I've read that The Golden Era is actually a 50i disc, which is extremely rare for home video in Hong Kong but not impossible (HK was historically a PAL territory and virtually every DVD/BD player sold there supports 50i out of the box). That might explain why it loads on the all-region Seiki but not the Sony.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:24 pm 

I wondered if it could be a PAL-related issue -- but then set that aside as being a pre-BluRay sort of problem. It definitely failed differently from Ocean Waves (which I suspect really is due to menu memory bloatage).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm 

Quick question : what would happen if I was to buy a X Box One S to read UHD, but nothing else of my equipment (amplifier, cables and TV set) is updated (meaning Full HD only, older HDMi, etc) ? Would I be able to read a downgraded version of the UHD (like reading a BD on a PS3 plugged on an old CRT set) or would I just face a black screen ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:23 pm 
Cri me a Tearion

tenia wrote:
Quick question : what would happen if I was to buy a X Box One S to read UHD, but nothing else of my equipment (amplifier, cables and TV set) is updated (meaning Full HD only, older HDMi, etc) ? Would I be able to read a downgraded version of the UHD (like reading a BD on a PS3 plugged on an old CRT set) or would I just face a black screen ?

You should be able to read the UHD disc with the Xbox1S and see it in 1080p on your monitor. Although, amusingly, there is some debate about whether it will appear the same, better, or worse than a blu-ray disc version of the same content. There are a lot of "it depends" (on settings in your player and tv, conversion settings in your receiver if you pass through one, etc.) details buried in the various tech forums, but at least it should pass an image and sound to the TV.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:41 am 

Quick question: is there somewhere I can send my current blu ray player to have it modified as region free? I have a recent Sony player; it "upscales" to 4K, but sadly doesn't play 4K discs and I think I'm going to plunge on my next purchase and get a 4K player...just trying to see if I can have my current player modified in the meantime.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:01 pm 

Godot wrote:
tenia wrote:

You should be able to read the UHD disc with the Xbox1S and see it in 1080p on your monitor. Although, amusingly, there is some debate about whether it will appear the same, better, or worse than a blu-ray disc version of the same content. There are a lot of "it depends" (on settings in your player and tv, conversion settings in your receiver if you pass through one, etc.) details buried in the various tech forums, but at least it should pass an image and sound to the TV.

Ok thanks. So far, I thought that the lack of HDCP 2.2 compatibility would prevent the signal to be displayed at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:42 pm 

Not sure if this is the best place for the question, but here goes...

It seems than any forum topic title that contains special characters results in a blank title line in the “Recent Forum Activity” on the site splash page. This has the additional effect of eliminating any link to the topic from the splash page. In absence of a technical fix for this, would it be a good practice for the site to not use special characters in topic titles? (For example, rendering “Éric Rohmer” as “Eric Rohmer” so it shows up as other than a blank subject line sans link. There are currently two blank subjects in “Recent Forum Activity”.) Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 pm 
Dot Com Dom

We are aware of the problem and are discussing it here

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:29 pm 

Anyone have any suggestions for an external blu-ray drive for a Windows laptop? I can't really find a good consensus on these just looking on Amazon so far. I only need it to read, not write. Am I right in understanding it's not that difficult to modify VLC to play blu-rays and that it can play regions A/B without changing the region locking on your computer?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:07 pm 

I've also been trying to find a portable Blu-ray player, but for Mac. Any Mac recommendations? I'd like the ability to play and burn discs (mostly watching extras on my laptop while my partner plays video games). This one looks decent, but finding the software seems dubious:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071ZW2YFW/_en ... VU47&psc=1

Last edited by criterionsnob on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm 

theflirtydozen wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for an external blu-ray drive for a Windows laptop? I can't really find a good consensus on these just looking on Amazon so far. I only need it to read, not write. Am I right in understanding it's not that difficult to modify VLC to play blu-rays and that it can play regions A/B without changing the region locking on your computer?

Not so sure it is, in fact, easy to get VLC to play BluRays reliably. (I never managed to get this working).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 pm 

VLC never worked for me either. Leawo was the only free player I found that was reliable, but once my computer’s graphics card started freaking out about video it stuttered frequently. You may have better luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67