Blaxploitation on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
LightBulbFilm

#1 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:08 am

Is anyone else into blaxploitation films? There are many on DVD, but there are many that haven't been released... The most noteable one would be Coonskin. I have the Xenon release of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song! and it's pretty good, but why can't Criterion pick it up like they did before? I don't know if you'd consider it blaxploitation, but a film that I've always enjoyed is Bebe's Kids. I was really fucking excited when that got released on DVD, as shitty as the DVD is.

filmfan

#2 Post by filmfan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:24 am

Coonskin is in release....let me find my copy and give you the details.

manicsounds

#3 Post by manicsounds » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:45 am

MGM has their Soul Cinema line, which has Coffy, Shaft etc,
but they are not exactly stacked on extras.

Was excited when T Plays It Cool got a release back in Feb,
but with no extras, it seemed like a waste to get.

So far, Superfly from Warner and Wattstax from Warner (if you call them blaxpolitation or not, which to many people they don't is arguable)
are incredible discs which no collection should be without.

unless you're in the KKK, but that even more unacceptable.

Lemmy Caution

#4 Post by Lemmy Caution » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:19 pm

I'd love to get Hell Up In Harlem and Black Caesar.
I especially enjoy the soundtracks.
I think there was one blaxploitation flick scored by Solomon Burke. Anyone know which?

Fletch F. Fletch

#5 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:47 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:I'd love to get Hell Up In Harlem and Black Caesar.
I especially enjoy the soundtracks.
I think there was one blaxploitation flick scored by Solomon Burke. Anyone know which?
He did the scores for two blaxploitation films -- Hammer and Cool Breeze.

On the subject, I picked up the Pam Grier box set which was pretty disappointing... basically collecting three of her films already out and a "bonus" disc with the equivalent of promo puff pieces. Still, she was pretty smokin' back in the day... whew!

TechNoir

#6 Post by TechNoir » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:14 pm

I think Black Caesar has some of the best music James Brown ever recorded. Its a shame that Black Gunn, one of the best of the bunch is, or is going to be OOP. Great performance from Martin Landau. Damn Sony, no respect.

Lemmy Caution

#7 Post by Lemmy Caution » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:53 pm

He did the scores for two blaxploitation films -- Hammer and Cool Breeze.
Thanks, Fletch.
I have the Cool Breeze soundtrack somewhere.
Never heard of Hammer.
But Fred Williamson and 1972 Sol Burke.
Out on dvd too.
I'm interested.

LightBulbFilm

#8 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:02 pm

filmfan wrote:Coonskin is in release....let me find my copy and give you the details.
:) PLEASE!

filmfan

#9 Post by filmfan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:34 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:
filmfan wrote:Coonskin is in release....let me find my copy and give you the details.
:) PLEASE!

There is a great "gray area" dvd label called "BLAX Films" circulating where I live...here we go again..with classic Black Exploitation film titles including "Melinda", "Hit Man", "The Liberation of L.B. Jones", "Gordon's War", "Cool Breeze", "If He Hollers, Let Him Go", "Mandingo", and a few more titles that just didn't grab me.

They are actually a class act...but you have to be willing to :roll:

Other titles "out there" include "Abby", "Melinda", and a great double 3pack of films (totally five films) with Fred Williamson "Black Cobra", "Deadly Impact:Strike of the Black Cobra", "One Man Army", "Death Journey", and "Mean Johnny Barrows".

The list goes on and on...and it's a shame there is no preservation movement for this genre !

LightBulbFilm

#10 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:26 pm

filmfan wrote:The list goes on and on...and it's a shame there is no preservation movement for this genre !
I'll second that. It's probably one of the most important genres in cinema history, because it meant so much not only for cinema itself, but for Civil Rights in media.

Rufus T. Firefly

#11 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:04 am

LightBulbFilm wrote:I'll second that. It's probably one of the most important genres in cinema history, because it meant so much not only for cinema itself, but for Civil Rights in media.
You could argue that it's one of the most important genres in American cinema history, but speaking on behalf of the other 95% of the world's population...

Lino

#12 Post by Lino » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:20 am

BTW, just a little bit of trivia here, but Trouble Man, featuring music by Marvin Gaye who later reinterpreted it for his classic album, is out too. The movie is no classic but nevertheless an important title on the Blaxploitation scene.

And why hasn't anybody mentioned Dolemite yet?! Or Blacula?!

Lino

#13 Post by Lino » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:37 am

:lol:

You're a veritable encyclopedia of both important and gossipy movie trivia! That's why you da MAN! Er, right...maybe not a good thing to post on a Blaxploitation thread but you know what I mean! :wink:

Lino

#14 Post by Lino » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:07 am

Either way...you rule, baby! 8-)

(and thus Matt proceeded to roll his eyes once again in utter disbelief at the depths this forum has yet again succumbed at the hands of his members, the vernacular they choose to use, the topics of their threads and the way they simply seem to carry on regardless - Here's laughing at you, kid!)

Fletch F. Fletch

#15 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:59 am

Annie Mall wrote:And why hasn't anybody mentioned Dolemite yet?! Or Blacula?!
Dolemite! The Human Tornado... that has to be one of the most messed up blaxploitation films. Ah, Rudy Ray Moore...

filmfan

#16 Post by filmfan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:18 am

Annie Mall wrote:BTW, just a little bit of trivia here, but Trouble Man, featuring music by Marvin Gaye who later reinterpreted it for his classic album, is out too. The movie is no classic but nevertheless an important title on the Blaxploitation scene.

And why hasn't anybody mentioned Dolemite yet?! Or Blacula?!
It's a great picture and sound transfer too...ESSENTIAL in one's collection, whether you like the genre or not.

filmfan

#17 Post by filmfan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:33 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
LightBulbFilm wrote:I'll second that. It's probably one of the most important genres in cinema history, because it meant so much not only for cinema itself, but for Civil Rights in media.
You could argue that it's one of the most important genres in American cinema history, but speaking on behalf of the other 95% of the world's population...

I think one could go so far to say that it is probably the MOST wholely American of ANY of the film genres.

I think this would perhaps firmly establish it's "importance" to film lovers, and give it the respect to the "critics" and those who write about Film.
Unfortunately, it's not enough to say even this to take these films seriously to most people.

Our collective critical standards for Film takes in things like quality of production, acting, etc. and face it, this genre not up to what our collective critical standards usually are for other films...but therein lies it's charm, right ?

manicsounds

#18 Post by manicsounds » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:28 am

Annie Mall wrote:BTW, just a little bit of trivia here, but Trouble Man, featuring music by Marvin Gaye who later reinterpreted it for his classic album, is out too.
ah, shit, on my earlier post, i MEANT to say Trouble Man,
but i wrote T PLAYS IT COOL, after the song..... my mistake.

I really meant TROUBLE MAN, so in a way, i didnt mention it but meant it.

solaris72

#19 Post by solaris72 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:50 am

filmfan wrote:I think one could go so far to say that it is probably the MOST wholely American of ANY of the film genres.
I think that's going a bit too far...

LightBulbFilm

#20 Post by LightBulbFilm » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:55 am

solaris72 wrote:
filmfan wrote:I think one could go so far to say that it is probably the MOST wholely American of ANY of the film genres.
I think that's going a bit too far...
First title there was a film made in Italy, with Italian money, with an Italian director... That's one HELL of a wholey American film.

Westerns are myths, and as good as they are, they don't speak to society as well as Blaxploitation films.

solaris72

#21 Post by solaris72 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:29 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:First title there was a film made in Italy, with Italian money, with an Italian director... That's one HELL of a wholey American film.
OK, if we go by your logic that the defining film for a genre is the one that's highest rated on IMDb, then for blaxploitation that's Othello, el comando negro, which was shot in Spain and France with a French director.
LightBulbFilm wrote:Westerns are myths
The same can be said of films like Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss Song, Shaft, etc.

LightBulbFilm

#22 Post by LightBulbFilm » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:55 pm

solaris72 wrote:
LightBulbFilm wrote:First title there was a film made in Italy, with Italian money, with an Italian director... That's one HELL of a wholey American film.
OK, if we go by your logic that the defining film for a genre is the one that's highest rated on IMDb, then for blaxploitation that's Othello, el comando negro, which was shot in Spain and France with a French director.
The same can be said of films like Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss Song, Shaft, etc.
Good, rebuttle. But then, neither of us can say either genre is wholey American.

filmfan

#23 Post by filmfan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:11 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:
solaris72 wrote:
Good, rebuttle. But then, neither of us can say either genre is wholey American.
Well, it ain't Scandanavian !

Rufus T. Firefly

#24 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:14 am

I think this would perhaps firmly establish it's "importance" to film lovers, and give it the respect to the "critics" and those who write about Film.
Unfortunately, it's not enough to say even this to take these films seriously to most people.

Our collective critical standards for Film takes in things like quality of production, acting, etc. and face it, this genre not up to what our collective critical standards usually are for other films...but therein lies it's charm, right ?
Don't get me wrong, I like blaxploitation and have all of the MGM Pam Grier DVDs in my collection. But to suggest that these films had a profound impact on cinema and "Civil Rights in media" is blatantly excessive. In American cinema, perhaps, but outside the US? I doubt it.

BTW for any Sydneysiders interested in picking up some of these titles, last time I was in Birdland (the jazz store) they had a selection of reasonably priced R1 titles in the Soul Cinema series. About $25 each.

Rufus T. Firefly

#25 Post by Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:01 am

davidhare wrote:do they have Mandingo????
They didn't, but they did have Dolemite.