Studio Ghibli on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
feihong

Re: Studio Ghibli on DVD

#326 Post by feihong » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:56 am

Isn't Diskotek the same company that released Burst City some years ago? I didn't know they were still in business!

manicsounds

#327 Post by manicsounds » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:19 am

feihong wrote:Isn't Diskotek the same company that released Burst City some years ago? I didn't know they were still in business!
Oh yes, they are.
They are also putting out Sherlock Hound: The Complete Series on DVD in September, with the original Japanese. (Hayao Miyazaki episodes included) They are still releasing DVDs mostly, only a very few blu-rays. But their BD of "Little Nemo" was excellent.

jojo

#328 Post by jojo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Yeah. Discotek has sequed fully into mostly classic anime now, though they put out the odd newer anime here and there and curiosities like the Retro Game Master Japanese TV show.

feihong

#329 Post by feihong » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:54 pm

Aw, man. So no chance of a Burst City blu-ray from these guys, it sounds like.

manicsounds

#330 Post by manicsounds » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Most likely no, as there are no HD releases of Sogo Ishii's (aka Gakuryu Ishii) earlier works in Japan, or any of his movies that I know of.

artfilmfan

#331 Post by artfilmfan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 am

Does the Japanese Blu-ray of Totoro have the original English (Troma) dub or the new (Disney) dub ?

EddieLarkin

#332 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:00 am

Just the Disney dub. I believe Ghibli only have the rights to the Disney stuff. This is why Grave of the Fireflies is subs only.

jojo

#333 Post by jojo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:00 pm

It's a real shame about the Troma Totoro dub being possibly lost forever. I consider it superior to the Disney dub.

David M.

#334 Post by David M. » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Lost? You mean out of circulation?

It was on the Japanese Totoro DVD I used to have.

jojo

#335 Post by jojo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:49 pm

Yes, out of circulation. I'm not saying that somewhere down the line there won't be a home release or some "ULTIMATE TOTORO EDITION" that has it again, but it seems pretty unlikely future releases would include it when they have a serviceable english dub already in the Disney one.

artfilmfan

#336 Post by artfilmfan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:53 pm

Thank you all for your posts on Totoro. I wanted a copy with the Troma dub. The only options seem to be the Fox R1 (4:3, no Japanese audio) DVD and the Japanese DVD. So, I went with the Japanese DVD.

manicsounds

#337 Post by manicsounds » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:51 pm

manicsounds

#338 Post by manicsounds » Thu May 22, 2014 9:27 pm

The Complete Hayao Miyazaki Collection will be delayed one month to remove the music video of CHAGE & ASKA directed by Miyazaki.
The reason? One half of the duo, ASKA was arrested for drug use.

Yup, that's all it takes in Japan. (Not even convicted yet)

Not just this release, the Studio Ghibli DVD "Short Short" collection has been pulled from stores, all of CHAGE & ASKA's albums and concert DVDs are also pulled, as well as all commercials and ads featuring them or their music. Way too far?

Now the "complete" collection is not complete anymore.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#339 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu May 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Pretty stupid -- but I didn't like this music video much...

manicsounds

#340 Post by manicsounds » Mon May 26, 2014 2:45 am

Blu-rayDefinition reviews the UK editions of Princess Mononoke and The Cat Returns

captveg

#341 Post by captveg » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:38 pm

filmaf.com has recently added Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) as a Blu-ray release from Disney on 7/22. Hopefully true with a couple other Ghibli films getting released alongside it.

Ashirg

#342 Post by Ashirg » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:15 pm

It's based on an advertisement on Target B&M stores. Only Kiki was listed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#343 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Sweet, that and Princess Mononoke are the ones I've been waiting for (and I doubt I'm alone)

Movie-Brat

#344 Post by Movie-Brat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:Sweet, that and Princess Mononoke are the ones I've been waiting for (and I doubt I'm alone)
+1

I mean those two titles I'm waiting to buy on Blu-Ray myself. I mean in terms of the DVD, I was lucky to find Mononoke (amusingly, I bought it alongside Hostel). As an added bonus, before that; I managed to acquire the original Kiki's Delivery Service DVD alongside The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.
Last edited by Movie-Brat on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EddieLarkin

#345 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:15 pm

My first ever viewing of Kiki's Delivery Service was a few months ago via the Japanese Blu-ray, and I enjoyed it immensely. It may be my favourite Ghibli. The colours of the transfer, particularly the reds and purples, are simply stunning and I'm sure they'll be equally as good on the Disney disc. The 2.0 surround was also a treat; I've been listening to several Arai Yumi tracks ever since. I have Princess Mononoke lined up for next week and expect a similar stellar experience.

JMULL222

#346 Post by JMULL222 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:59 am

Based on previous patterns I'd say odds are quite high that it'll be paired with THE WIND RISES and a third Ghibli film that's already received an international Blu release, probably MONONOKE or CAT RETURNS.

FakeBonanza

#347 Post by FakeBonanza » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:03 pm

JMULL222 wrote:Based on previous patterns I'd say odds are quite high that it'll be paired with THE WIND RISES and a third Ghibli film that's already received an international Blu release, probably MONONOKE or CAT RETURNS.
Neither The Wind Rises nor Princess Mononoke were distributed under the Disney banner, and I would be surprised if that changed for the blu-ray releases. The decision not to associate the Disney label with these two, in particular, seems to indicate a standard of what is and isn't considered appropriate for the main line.

I certainly could be proven wrong, but this is the impression I've gotten.

pzadvance

#348 Post by pzadvance » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 pm

FakeBonanza wrote:
JMULL222 wrote:Based on previous patterns I'd say odds are quite high that it'll be paired with THE WIND RISES and a third Ghibli film that's already received an international Blu release, probably MONONOKE or CAT RETURNS.
Neither The Wind Rises nor Princess Mononoke were distributed under the Disney banner, and I would be surprised if that changed for the blu-ray releases. The decision not to associate the Disney label with these two, in particular, seems to indicate a standard of what is and isn't considered appropriate for the main line.
Unless I'm mistaken, Wind Rises was distributed under the Walt Disney Studios banner in the US.

FakeBonanza

#349 Post by FakeBonanza » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:35 pm

pzadvance wrote:
FakeBonanza wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, Wind Rises was distributed under the Walt Disney Studios banner in the US.
It was a Touchstone release.

EddieLarkin

#350 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:24 am

I watched Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi last night and there is no sign of the red tint. It looks amazing, naturally. Caps here.

In other news, for the Miyazaki boxset they gave Nausicaa a new colour timing.