The Premiere Frank Capra Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
OliverB

#26 Post by OliverB » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:
OliverB wrote:I've been meaning to pick up this set for the longest time; in fact it was my plan for today. But I may just hold off now for further news of these "newly remastered" releases. And what about "American Madness"?
If memory serves, it actually had the best-looking transfer of all five in the box!
Well if these are upgrades in any way, I hope that Columbia will make the right decision and issue this as an individual standalone as well.

videozor

#27 Post by videozor » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:48 pm

domino harvey wrote:They're Columbia DVDs though-- all their classic films are that expensive regardless of extras.
Agree, but other two are for 19.95 SRP...

OliverB

#28 Post by OliverB » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:58 pm

According to DVDEmpire, they're all listed as single disc releases and specified as (Remastered) in the listings to separate and differentiate from the previously available editions which remain in stock and apparently still in circulation. MSRP remains consistent as well unfortunately, though I'd eagerly purchase without hesitation if the presentation and production justifies that cost this time around. Here they are:

It Happened One Night (Remastered)
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (Remastered)
Mr. Deeds Goes To Town (Remastered)
You Can't Take It With You (Remastered)

All indicators point to good news!

And let's all pray that this is not really the cover they intend to use! :shock:

dx23

#29 Post by dx23 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:07 am

I'm wondering if these re-releases are part of the Sony Collector's Choice Collection, which was mentioned on the Budd Boetticherthread.

onedimension

Capra reissues due Dec. 9

#30 Post by onedimension » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:09 pm

It Happened One Night, Mr. Deeds & Mr. Smith are being billed as remasters and special editions but I haven't heard anything about extras or image quality.. is it unhip to like Capra around here?

myrnaloyisdope

Re: Capra reissues due Dec. 9

#31 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:10 pm

Well he's no Stan Brakhage, but Capra's alright.

Cash Flagg

#32 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:18 pm

Damn, I would have just bought the box set too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:15 am

Wait, so we do like Capra around here?

Tolmides

#34 Post by Tolmides » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:23 am

domino harvey wrote:Wait, so we do like Capra around here?
Well if you don't, I sure as hell do.

videozor

Re: The Premiere Frank Capra Collection

#35 Post by videozor » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:42 pm

Whoever might be interested:

Just received It Happende... - in brief: nothing to be excited about: front cover art is ugly; extras, as far as one can judge by the description on the back cover, are the same as in the old edition.

I think, even if the feature is re-mastered, it is the same as in the Capra box. And according to Beaver this new transfer is only slightly beter than the old one.

Most likely the story is the same with the other 3 Capra films coming out on Dec 9th

TIVOLI

It Happened One Night

#36 Post by TIVOLI » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Has anyone seen the newly released remaster of It Happened One Night? I haven't been able to find any reviews comparing it to the previous oldie but goodie version. It's such a brilliant film that it deserves renewed attention. The combination of Gable's street-wise (teaching Colbert how to dunk a doughnut) and Colbert's world-wise (she famously lifts her skirt to hitch a ride) is extraordinary. Also, it's the last great film before the onset of Capracorn, endless variations of the naive hero restoring democratic decency by taming the hysterical masses. A must see again.