Silent Film on DVD and BD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
goalieboy82

Re: Silent Film on DVD

#626 Post by goalieboy82 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:34 pm

thanks

Tommaso

#627 Post by Tommaso » Thu May 17, 2012 6:24 am

Sometimes anniversaries are a really good thing. The 300th birthday of the Prussian king Frederick II. this year has already resulted in a few very nice releases, but this one may be the most interesting: Gerhard Lamprecht's 1927 two-part silent "Der alte Fritz" is getting a dvd release by absolut medien in September. Needless to say, it stars the inimitable Otto Gebühr in the role which he played about 20 times in his career.

TMDaines

#628 Post by TMDaines » Thu May 17, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks for sharing. It seems we might have a couple of world first German silents coming out in Germany itself this year - and not from Edition Filmmuseum. If only someone could go back and release everything that was restored for Arte TV.

markhax

#629 Post by markhax » Fri May 18, 2012 9:45 am

TMDaines wrote:Thanks for sharing. It seems we might have a couple of world first German silents coming out in Germany itself this year - and not from Edition Filmmuseum. If only someone could go back and release everything that was restored for Arte TV.
Will there ever be a DVD release of E. A. Dupont's Varieté?

TMDaines

#630 Post by TMDaines » Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 am

Who knows? There's a pretty darn good TVrip with fansubs though in the usual places.

Jonathan S

#631 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:43 am

Major Max Linder set released in France on Nov 6. Also, a separate Blu-ray release at the same price.

A pity though there are only ten - presumably restored - shorts (disc one). The other two discs appear to be the old Maud Linder compilations of clips and abridgements.

perkizitore

#632 Post by perkizitore » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:13 am

What A Disgrace

#633 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:33 am

I hope Flicker Alley or somebody snatches it up for the US market.

perkizitore

#634 Post by perkizitore » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:36 am

L.A. wrote:Fante-Anne (1920) coming from the Norwegian Film Institute

BD+DVD
Has anyone bought this?

oldsheperd

#635 Post by oldsheperd » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:12 pm

If anyone missed the 5 disc Slapstick Encyclopedia the first go round it's been re-released by Image/Madacy. All the same stuff but in a 5 disc video book. I just got mine in the mail and it looks nice. Got it for 9.99 on Amazon.com.

willoneill

Re: Warner Catalog Titles on Blu

#636 Post by willoneill » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Drucker wrote:Big Parade was MGM, but wikipedia confirms that not until The Artist did a silent film gross more than it.
What about Mel Brooks' Silent Movie? ... it grossed $36 million or so.

knives

#637 Post by knives » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:32 pm

That's not a silent movie though. It has one line of spoken dialogue.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#638 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:34 pm

SpoilerShow
So does the Artist

Peacock

#639 Post by Peacock » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:43 pm

If you adjust for inflation then The Big Parade grossed more than double the amount of The Artist.

CSM126

#640 Post by CSM126 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:55 am

knives wrote:That's not a silent movie though. It has one line of spoken dialogue.
If you aren't joking, this is an astonishingly narrow minded and dumb statement. One spoken line disqualifies it from being a silent? Hell, Jacques Tati movies have sound and I'd still argue them as silent films because none of the spoken word matters to the storytelling. I think a quickly-blurted "Non!" is far from enough to disqualify Silent Movie from being, well, a silent movie.

knives

#641 Post by knives » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:59 am

Honestly I think any sort of synchronized soundtrack prevents a film from being a silent film as that goes entirely against the term.

CSM126

#642 Post by CSM126 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:15 am

Even the ones that only synchronized an orchestral score?

Jeff

#643 Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 am

The Tati films are certainly not silents.

knives

#644 Post by knives » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 am

CSM126 wrote:Even the ones that only synchronized an orchestral score?
I do not get your meaning with this.

hamsterburger

#645 Post by hamsterburger » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:45 am

I kinda feel that Silent Era'shttp://www.silentera.com/info/top100.html definition in their Top 100 list is a good one to go by:
...while our definition of the silent cinema timeline usually spans from about 1891 to 1929, we accept votes for later true silents like City Lights (1931) or Japanese or Chinese silent films from the early 1930s, for example. (We firmly judge Modern Times [1936] to be a mute sound film.) ... We limit the list to films that were produced to be silent films exclusively (synchronized music tracks are acceptible, but part-talkies and talkies that have only survived as silents are out).

CSM126

#646 Post by CSM126 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:52 am

Jeff wrote:The Tati films are certainly not silents.
I dunno. The fact that they can work entirely without the dialogue kinda makes it that way for me. Sure, the sound effects are important but I've always considered anything that doesn't require synchronized dialogue as being onto a silent film. After all, I am fairly certain that there were silent films on the cusp of the sound era that were released with synchronized music and sound effects, weren't there? I've seen a version of the silent Robin Hood with sword clangs and arrow thwaps synched to it, for example.

JonasEB

#647 Post by JonasEB » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:26 am

I wouldn't equate "sans-dialogue" with "silent film" - most silent films are packed full of dialogue and, contrary to the persisting perception, carry themselves via dialogue, require dialogue, in a way that isn't any different from the average talkie. They just used title cards instead of voices. The Tatis may not have much talking but sound is significant, artistically essential, to them in a way that it isn't for 99% of the late silents.
Honestly I think any sort of synchronized soundtrack prevents a film from being a silent film as that goes entirely against the term.
Well, none of the pre-sound silents were meant to be played silently, they simply required an exterior source to provide it. A lot of them had live sound effects produced as well. Most Movietone or Vitaphone silents from 1926-1931 simply replicate the function of the orchestra and the occasional sound effects people, so they're precisely silent films, exactly the same. It's only the means of delivery that changed.

Dick Laurent

#648 Post by Dick Laurent » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:13 am

I posted a teaser in the screencap section for an upcoming silent..
Some people can probably guess what it's from.

MichaelB

#649 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:08 am

JonasEB wrote:I wouldn't equate "sans-dialogue" with "silent film" - most silent films are packed full of dialogue and, contrary to the persisting perception, carry themselves via dialogue, require dialogue, in a way that isn't any different from the average talkie. They just used title cards instead of voices. The Tatis may not have much talking but sound is significant, artistically essential, to them in a way that it isn't for 99% of the late silents.
Indeed - Luc Besson's Le Dernier Combat has no dialogue at all that I can recall, but it would never occur to me to call it a "silent film". Ditto Jan Svankmajer's Conspirators of Pleasure, many of whose set-pieces depend on the witty juxtaposition of sound and image (for instance, the way that opera arias burst forth every time the frottage fetishist notices something with an interesting texture, scenes that would be almost totally meaningless without the sound). And the same is even more true of Guy Maddin's work.

Dick Laurent

#650 Post by Dick Laurent » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Guessed correctly in the screencap thread.

Soon to be released by the VDFC (Vlaamse dienst voor filmcultuur) and Cinematek:
The Red Lantern

New restored edition, with new intertitles in english

- 2 different scores
- Many extras including : Nazimova screen test, Nazimova newsreel clippings, Nazimova odes (songs), Boxer war novelties and more
- All in a book-style packaging with lots of information about the film