Apocalypse Now on DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
aox

Re: Apocalypse Now on DVD and Blu-ray

#226 Post by aox » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:18 am

CSM126 wrote:I really just don't get it. I mean, weren't the inserts added to Redux enough to convince you that anything that got cut originally really was just garbage? I can't imagine another two hours of that crap.
And as already stated, the best (read: interesting) parts not found in Redux were, and will be, included as deleted scenes that save you from having to suffer through the 5 hours of incoherent drivel.

The Apocalypse Now work print has reached mythical status mostly because of internet chatter. It's garbage. There is nothing to really see that hasn't been extracted by the Redux cut and the deleted scenes section from the Complete Dossier. They are doing you a favor by not including it.

flyonthewall2983

#227 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:35 pm

I can't say there's a deleted scene more atrocious than the one where Dennis Hopper and Scott Glenn's characters are killed off.

Mr Sausage

#228 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:15 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I can't say there's a deleted scene more atrocious than the one where Dennis Hopper and Scott Glenn's characters are killed off.
Why is that?

flyonthewall2983

#229 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Mr_sausage wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:I can't say there's a deleted scene more atrocious than the one where Dennis Hopper and Scott Glenn's characters are killed off.
Why is that?
I haven't seen it in awhile, but after watching it again, I'm going to do an about face on my earlier stance. It's not as bad as I remembered it, but the main thing I didn't like about it was seeing the photographer shot. There was part of me thinking a character like that would still be in the jungle, the first time I watched it. Also, I think the Colby character was much more effective just being the guy Willard recognizes from the dossier when they are face-to-face once they arrive at Kurtz's compound.
Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alphonse Doinel

#230 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:53 am

Would anyone seriously want the workprint? Other than hipsters looking for something to project on their wall during their house parties.

HerrSchreck

#231 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:36 pm

My god, just watching REDUX is agonizing enough, I have no interest in watching the workprint (other than maybe some extra Brando footage, simply for the sake of itself, not via what it may or may not add to the narrative. The original release cut of the film was perfect, reflecting the judgement of a master at the peak of his powers.)

aox

#232 Post by aox » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:40 pm

Alphonse Doinel wrote:Would anyone seriously want the workprint? Other than hipsters looking for something to project on their wall during their house parties.
Sounds like one hell of a party.

HerrSchreck

#233 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:51 pm

aox wrote:
Alphonse Doinel wrote:Would anyone seriously want the workprint? Other than hipsters looking for something to project on their wall during their house parties.
Sounds like one hell of a party.
One with lots of downers I'd imagine-- a sleep-in.

MyNameCriterionForum

#234 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:29 am

"Calling PBR street gang. PBR street gang, this is Almighty..."

aox

#235 Post by aox » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:57 pm

They should include this SNL skit with Sheen and Bill Murray. I had never seen it.

Roger Ryan

#236 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:14 am

aox wrote:They should include this SNL skit with Sheen and Bill Murray. I had never seen it.
That's a great example of how sharp and accurate the writing could be on SNL. Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen the skit since the live performance in '79 (there was a switching error during the original broadcast where Sheen and Garrett Morris were shown prematurely sitting on the paddle boat waiting for their cue - I see that mistake was corrected through editing).

Was Bill Murray's "Coppola" rambling during the Oscar telecast based on the real director's comments? His vision of the future of filmmaking turned out to be mostly true!

aox

#238 Post by aox » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Bill Hunt: It's fascinating to me that there's a completely valid artistic argument to be made for both aspect ratios. It wasn't just some arbitrary decision to go 2:1 originally.
haha...no there isn't.

willoneill

#239 Post by willoneill » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:43 pm

You think you're smarter than Leonardo Da Vinci?

zedz

#240 Post by zedz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:57 pm

aox wrote:
Bill Hunt: It's fascinating to me that there's a completely valid artistic argument to be made for both aspect ratios. It wasn't just some arbitrary decision to go 2:1 originally.
haha...no there isn't.
This just proves that if you say something enough times, people start believing it, however crackpot.

Reading between the lines, however, it seems pretty clear they're trying to distance themselves from Storaro's crackpottery and are leaving him holding a baby with the top its head and its toes cut off. Italics mine:
American Zoetrope representative wrote:Francis very much supported – and still supports – Vittorio's vision of 2:1. It's not just a widescreen issue. It's well publicized on Vittorio's website how he thinks film should be presented. It goes back to Leonardo da Vinci, and he has a whole philosophy about looking at artwork in 2:1. [. . .] Of course, people have wanted the 2.35:1, so we wanted to include that, but we don't discount what Vittorio did either.

[. . .] Vittorio would still argue that 2:1 is a valid thing to do for widescreen presentation. He has a whole philosophy about how people view films, and he feels that 2:1 gives them the best presentation of a film.
I hope none of the other people in the room got injured by that bargepole.

Roger Ryan

#241 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:13 pm

Does anyone else find the Blu-ray still chosen from the HEARTS OF DARKNESS documentary to be a strange choice, inasmuch as the lens flare kind of washes the image out and it has an odd greenish tint? To my eye, the DVD comparison still looks a bit better even with less detail.

I'm not sure I understand the justification for including some of the promotional material as an iPhone download only; "a TV screen just isn't meant to really display images like that. It's such a 5-foot experience" - therefore, viewing the material on your phone is going to be better?

I assume the remainder of the comparison stills are the correct 2.35:1 ratio image (for both the 2001 interpositive and the Blu-ray)? I'll look forward to seeing a comparison of the Blu-ray to the "Complete Dossier" DVD release to see what we were missing on the sides of the image (provided they're not simply cutting the top and bottom off of the compromised 2.00:1 version :wink: )

richast2

#242 Post by richast2 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:42 am

Interesting article.
Bill Hunt: And there's a new casting featurette...

James Mockoski: Which has Fred Roos talking about his experiences with Francis to cast the film back in 1976, so we have a lot of rehearsal footage from a month before they go on to film.
What are the chances this will include footage of Harvey Keitel?

aox

#243 Post by aox » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Blu-Ray.com

perfect

manicsounds

#244 Post by manicsounds » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:01 am

The only thing is the extravagant $60 retail price tag...
That's whats not making me get it immediately.

Then again, I still haven't watched the DVD version yet.... and I've had that for years.

aox

#245 Post by aox » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

$40 on Amazon for the 3 disc.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#246 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:21 am

Still waaaay too much for two cuts of the same film and a documentary (albeit a feature length one).

Roger Ryan

#247 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 am

I must have missed it before, but I didn't realize the three new interviews (Sheen, Milius, Roos) total two hours of running time - that's a significant add-on for Blu-ray!
Last edited by Roger Ryan on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

aox

#248 Post by aox » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:38 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Still waaaay too much for two cuts of the same film and a documentary (albeit a feature length one).
Nah.

$25 for one film with two cuts, and $15 for one of the best full length documentaries about the filming of a movie? All in Hi-Def!

Then, the extras?

Best deal.

hearthesilence

#249 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:57 pm

L.A. Times has an article on this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The new edition also delivers a widescreen version of the film on home video that Coppola says should quiet the howls of protest from 'the aficionados and the purists' about the screen aspect ratio of past releases."

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#250 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:12 pm

FFC wrote:Me, I'm just happy watching it on whatever aspect ratio my iPhone is.