Jaws

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
CSM126

Re: Jaws

#26 Post by CSM126 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 am

Jameson281 wrote:
CSM126 wrote:If I liked Jaws even slightly I might get upset at all the digital bullshit they're running the movie through. But then again it's Universal and they have a hard time making anything look right on BR.
What "digital bullshit" would that be? They never mention grain reduction, edge enhancement, etc. They show a wetgate scan, color correction, image stabilization and digital fixes applied to scratches and dirt. Nothing unusual in any of that; nothing there that Criterion or Robert Harris wouldn't do. (Yes, it's possible that Universal did apply grain reduction, etc., but I'm just talking about stuff referred to in the featurette. And grain reduction isn't inherently evil--even Criterion does it.)

If you're thinking of the remixed audio, the oringal mono is being included.
This is the company that reframed a shot in Out of Africa because they didn't like how the director did it the first time. I have no hope for anything else they touch.

Jameson281

#27 Post by Jameson281 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:29 pm

CSM126 wrote:
Jameson281 wrote:
CSM126 wrote:If I liked Jaws even slightly I might get upset at all the digital bullshit they're running the movie through. But then again it's Universal and they have a hard time making anything look right on BR.
What "digital bullshit" would that be? They never mention grain reduction, edge enhancement, etc. They show a wetgate scan, color correction, image stabilization and digital fixes applied to scratches and dirt. Nothing unusual in any of that; nothing there that Criterion or Robert Harris wouldn't do. (Yes, it's possible that Universal did apply grain reduction, etc., but I'm just talking about stuff referred to in the featurette. And grain reduction isn't inherently evil--even Criterion does it.)

If you're thinking of the remixed audio, the oringal mono is being included.
This is the company that reframed a shot in Out of Africa because they didn't like how the director did it the first time. I have no hope for anything else they touch.
Yes, it's true that Universal has been guilty of excessive digital futzing in prior releases, but my point was that none of that is shown in the featurette. Your original statement implied that the featurette showed Universal performing all sorts of ghastly "digital bullshit" on JAWS, when nothing of the sort is seen. It's possible that Universal has messed with JAWS--but you can't tell from that featurette.

manicsounds

#28 Post by manicsounds » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:26 am

Judging that Spielberg is overseeing it, as he has done with all his previous Blu-ray releases, he seems to like film grain enough to leave it alone without digital scrubbing. I'd say no worries.