Midnight Cowboy SE

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
OliverB

#26 Post by OliverB » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:32 pm

OliverB wrote:Has anyone seen the R2 Cinema Reserve edition of this?

If so, how does it look -- is it the same transfer?
:-s

Joe Buck

#27 Post by Joe Buck » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:37 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:This is one of the greatest films of the 60's, great script, great performances.
Right on! YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

OliverB

#28 Post by OliverB » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:37 pm

OliverB wrote:
OliverB wrote:Has anyone seen the R2 Cinema Reserve edition of this?

If so, how does it look -- is it the same transfer?
:-s
So are there ANY definitive versions of this film in ANY other region?

LavaLamp

Re: Midnight Cowboy SE

#29 Post by LavaLamp » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Though I was expecting a lot from the BD version of MC, it didn't seem that much (if any) better than the SE DVD version in terms of PQ - extremely dissapointing. Note that I haven't gone back and compared the two versions, but if the BD is superior to the regular SE DVD version, it wasn't readily apparent. Granted, this could very well be because of the original print's limitations.

Re: the film itself, MC is (along with Taxi Driver) one of the best cinematic depictions of what it's like to be alone in the big city. Also impressed by the film's themes of friendship, unrealistic & then deflated expectations, and renewal.

MC also has some of the best editing cuts I've ever seen in a movie.

One of my favorite scenes is directly after JB's romp with the SM character, when he is trying to "diplomatically" ask her that he expects to be paid. However, not only doesn't she pay him, but instead tearfully (and successfully) hustles him for $. Very ironic, and obviously not what he expected. This really sets the tone for what most of his experience in NYC will be like for the remainder of the film.
SpoilerShow
The ending of the film is both uplifting/hopeful & also extremely sad, a difficult dichotomy to achieve - however, it is pulled off very well here: JB sheds his "cowboy" persona (buying new clothes & throwing out his old ones) & the grim/cold/grimy winter in the big city is replaced by Florida's palm trees & sunshine; however, this is directly followed by the inevitable death of Ratso...
Side-note: The early scene when JB asked that old-timer on the bus if he knew who Woodsy Niles was seemed almost a throw-away line, and if I hadn't read the MC novel (by J.L.H.), I wouldn't have been aware who this character was (he was one of JB's grandmothers' boyfriends, and is seen in several?! of the early flash-backs).
Last edited by LavaLamp on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:24 am, edited 5 times in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Midnight Cowboy SE

#30 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:25 pm

LavaLamp wrote:Though I was expecting a lot from the BD version of MC, it didn't seem that much (if any) better than the SE DVD version in terms of PQ - extremely dissapointing. Note that I haven't gone back and compared the two versions, but if the BD is superior to the regular SE DVD version, it wasn't readily apparent. Granted, this could very well be because of the original print's limitations.
A new 4K restoration is said to be in preparation, along Rocky, Fargo and Platoon.