Stanley Kubrick Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Oedipax

Re: Stanley Kubrick Collection

#926 Post by Oedipax » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:58 pm

peerpee wrote:Does anybody have a copy of the 1999 DVD of THE SHINING (UK or US version or preferably both) but importantly the one with the original mono soundtrack (ie. not the reissue issued in the year 2001 with the 5.1 soundtrack) that they could either lend/sell/burn me?
I'm pretty sure I've got the 99 versions still kicking around - I've bought all the Kubrick films so many times on disc I must've had those at some point. I'll take a look and see.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#927 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:59 pm

You could always try messaging them. Amazon actually makes sellers reply back within 24 hours or else their overall score gets penalized, so you'd get a response (though that might be a canned one, sure)

peerpee
not perpee

#928 Post by peerpee » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:07 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Zoverstocks have a separate listing for the 5.1 disc, at a much cheaper price (implying they have a bigger amount?), and their listing for the 1999 ACO was correct when I bought it, so I'd be hopeful. Fingers crossed!
Is the 1999 ACO a US-only disc? I remember the UK cinema re-release in 2000, less than a year after Kubrick had died, and the film subsequently came out for the first time on home video in the UK after that.

Oedipax

#929 Post by Oedipax » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Damn, no luck. I must've sold the 99's when the 2001 box set came out, not realizing the difference at the time.

Koukol

#930 Post by Koukol » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Gregory wrote:
Koukol wrote:Does anyone know what Kubrick thought of FMJ?
I agree that while a good film something is missing.

I'm curious if he was happy with the final cut.
The film was a financial success, and Kubrick told the New York Times, "I'm happy with the picture. My films have all had varying critical opinion and it's always been subsequent critical reaction that settles the scores. . . . The only thing I can think of is that everbody's always expecting the last movie again, and they're sometimes angry—I mean some critics—often put off because they're expecting something else." See NYT June 21, 1987, and Stanley Kubrick: Interviews (2001).
Cheers!

Gregory

#931 Post by Gregory » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:41 pm

Glad to help and sorry about the typo, "everbody's"

EddieLarkin

#932 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:39 am

peerpee wrote:Is the 1999 ACO a US-only disc? I remember the UK cinema re-release in 2000, less than a year after Kubrick had died, and the film subsequently came out for the first time on home video in the UK after that.
As far as I can tell, the "1999 mono disc" was released in the UK in November 2000, and then the new disc with the 5.1 was released in September 2001. The 5.1 disc first appeared in the US in June 2001.

peerpee
not perpee

#933 Post by peerpee » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:08 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:As far as I can tell, the "1999 mono disc" was released in the UK in November 2000, and then the new disc with the 5.1 was released in September 2001. The 5.1 disc first appeared in the US in June 2001.
Thanks so much for your help with this, EddieLarkin! Much appreciated.

Zoverstocks DID deliver the 1999 USA monaural DVD today. Very pleased.

Now to follow your UK link (I can't seem to find each of these myself at Amazon) Thanks again!

peerpee
not perpee

#934 Post by peerpee » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:15 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Zoverstocks have a separate listing for the 5.1 disc, at a much cheaper price (implying they have a bigger amount?), and their listing for the 1999 ACO was correct when I bought it, so I'd be hopeful. Fingers crossed!
EddieLarkin, do you think this is the monaural UK THE SHINING DVD that was only available for a year? (It's not got a release date at Amazon.)

EddieLarkin

#935 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Great news on them getting the US disc right!

Unfortunately, unlike ACO, it's possible the The Shining first appeared on UK DVD with the 5.1. I'd be wary of the one you've linked to, as the image shows the "Digitally Restored and Remastered" banner, which is a dead give away that it's the 5.1 version. It could be them using the wrong image though. It's odd there is no date for it; maybe it's a rogue listing or an EU edition?

Unfortunately there's only one way to find out. I wonder though why you'd need both US and UK versions?

peerpee
not perpee

#936 Post by peerpee » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:52 pm

I'm doing an indepth A-B comparison of the monaural and 5.1 soundtracks (for my own curiosity) because of a number of comments in a PhD thesis I read which details disparities between the two. The UK monaural version is interesting because of all the missing scenes. I want to examine the sound at the point of all these many edits.

EddieLarkin

#937 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:57 pm

Oh of course, I forgot about the additional scenes in the US cut. Would be very interested to hear about your findings once you complete your comparison.

jedgeco

#938 Post by jedgeco » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:36 pm

Hey, look! Another WB Kubrick collection, this time in a giant, unwieldy box!

djproject

#939 Post by djproject » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:10 pm

jedgeco wrote:Hey, look! Another WB Kubrick collection, this time in a giant, unwieldy box!
Oh yeah, that was what was lacking the last several iterations! :roll:

Seriously: just use the (presumably) better 4k master for A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon presented in the correct aspect ratio, and maybe better mastering for all the rest of the films except for Dr. Strangelove and have it be done for once.

oh yeah

#940 Post by oh yeah » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:13 pm

It would be nice to see a better transfer for Eyes Wide Shut, too, one that doesn't wipe out the heavy grain that made its look upon theatrical release so unique.

manicsounds

#941 Post by manicsounds » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:05 am

Bonus materials for Lolita and Barry Lyndon would be nice...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#942 Post by tenia » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:28 am

So many things waiting to be done, so few will actually get done... Especially at $150, which seems vastly ludicrous for a Xth "new" boxset.
They could try and include the 2 cuts of Shining, they have new 4K masters still unused (and I believe they would advertise them here if they were to include them), I think the full cut of Boxes is still waiting to be included, Barry Lyndon in the correct AR, the NC-17 cut of Eyes Wide Shut in a better master, original mono tracks everywhere, and of course original posters for artworks.

Basically, what Nick was asking for... 4 years ago (slightly updated by myself) :
peerpee wrote:What's really needed is a scholarly hardcore treatment and presentation; killer original artwork (we know Kubrick obsessed over it); Jon Ronson's extended international version of STANLEY KUBRICK'S BOXES; some inspired commentary tracks; HD remastering of Vivian's THE SHINING documentary; HD remastering of all of Kubrick's trailers; HD remastering of Vivian's FMJ making of footage.... etc etc

...but we won't get that, we'll get an annoying foldout digipak in an ill-thought out lenticular box which gets easily damaged in transit and arrives with all discs loose; a 78-page hardbacked book which has 76 pages of photos and a specially written paragraph by Tom Cruise; and 2 new redundant and usueless documentaries about how directors admire Kubrick and how he was such a genius.