Stanley Kubrick Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
kinjitsu

#76 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:35 pm

FilmFanSea wrote:Yes, but all four of the titles expected are currently listed as "Discontinued" at "Michael's", so a September release date certainly seems plausible.
I was about to add that the discontinued list is quite extensive, but you beat me to it. :wink:

Antoine Doinel

#77 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:51 am

DavisDVD is reporting today of a rumored date of November 6th for a Clockwork Orange Special Edition (and possibly The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut as well).

dx23

#78 Post by dx23 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:32 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:DavisDVD is reporting today of a rumored date of November 6th for a Clockwork Orange Special Edition (and possibly The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut as well).
That is for Region 2. Hopefully, WB will release on the same date for Region 1 users.

chaddoli

#79 Post by chaddoli » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:49 am

I met Jan Harlin (Kubrick's brother in law and exec producer) this weekend and he said the DVDs are still on track. A new box featuring all the films will be released at the end of this year/early next. Some specs he mentioned were the entire collection of concept paintings for 2001 and 0 Lucky Malcolm, his doc on Malcolm McDowell on A Clockwork Orange.

Jeff

#80 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:01 pm

chaddoli wrote:I met Jan Harlin (Kubrick's brother in law and exec producer) this weekend and he said the DVDs are still on track. A new box featuring all the films will be released at the end of this year/early next. Some specs he mentioned were the entire collection of concept paintings for 2001 and 0 Lucky Malcolm, his doc on Malcolm McDowell on A Clockwork Orange.

Wow! By "all the films," do you mean all of the films previously announced for this year (2001, Clockwork, Shining, EWS), or do you mean all the films as in everything Warner owns. Adding Lolita, Barry Lyndon, and Full Metal Jacket into the mix now would certainly explain why the original four discs got pushed back from September, and it would definitely make it worth the extra wait.

Narshty

#81 Post by Narshty » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:25 pm

This gives me hope that they aren't simply dumbing down these DVDs to just include video content and trailers, but are actually including sizeable portions of Kubrick's image and document archives. I'd infinitely rather have the contents of the Criterion 2001 laserdisc (which included huge quantities of correspondence between Kubrick and his scientific advisors) than some dreary Keir Dullea commentary.

Antoine Doinel

#82 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:39 pm

I too would welcome a complete Kubrick box with extra discs of correspondence/documentary/concepts etc. I would even like to see what, if anything, in terms of concepts or outlines he had for A.I. before Spielberg, well, Spielberged it. All rounded out by a book of photographs/set designs etc would be amazing.

Probably won't happen, but I can dream right?

chaddoli

#83 Post by chaddoli » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:57 pm

I'm talking about nearly EVERYTHING. They are getting the MGM titles even, most likely. So Killer's Kiss to Eyes Wide Shut, also, some of the early work like Day of the Fight (though NOT Fear and Desire). I don't know how Spartacus will work in there though, will Criterion allow their version in a WB box?

kinjitsu

#84 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:15 pm

chaddoli wrote: I don't know how Spartacus will work in there though, will Criterion allow their version in a WB box?
I thought that Universal held the rights to Spartacus.

justeleblanc

#85 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:43 pm

WB's Kubrick website has pictures for these 10 films:

The Killing
Paths of Glory
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

I'm curious as to how WB obtained the rights to the MGM titles since they were UA films, and the UA catalogue has just been moved from Sony to Fox.

Also, I found this article that Godard wrote about Kubrick just after The Killing was released. I'm not sure if it's already been posted in the forum or not:
This is the film of a good pupil, no more. An admirer of Max Ophuls, Aldrich, and John Huston, Stanley Kubrick is still far from being the bright boy heralded by the excited publicity surrounding this little gangster film which makes even The Asphalt Jungle look like a masterpiece by comparison. Kiss Me Deadly even more so. I shall not mention Ophuls, who would have nothing to do with the matter except that Kubrick claims his influence through irritating movements of the camera resembling those beloved of the director of Le Plaisir. But what on Ophuls corresponds to a certain vision of the world, in Kubrick is mere showing-off.
The enterprise is not without its sympathetic side, however. An independant production, The Killing was shot quickly and on a low budget. Although the story is not particularly original (robbery of the Los Angeles race-track), and the ending very little better (banknotes fluttering away in the wind after a very badly filmed stroke of bad luck, exactly as in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre), one must praise the ingenuity of the adaptation: by systematically dislocating the chronology of events, it maintains one's interest in a plot which otherwise never leaves the beaten track. Once one has commended the newsreel-style camerawork and Sterling Hayden, there is little left to do but wait, not too impatiently, for Kubrick's next feature, Paths of Glory, which has been very highly praised by the American Press.

Antoine Doinel

#86 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:51 pm

If those are indeed the 10 films in a forthcoming Kubrick box, I for one am very pleased. I just hope there is an extra disc or two of new bonus features. I also wonder how they'll handle Eyes Wide Shut. Just the international/director's cut version (sans digitally hidden genitals) or both versions?

Narshty

#87 Post by Narshty » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:19 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Also, I found this article that Godard wrote about Kubrick just after The Killing was released. I'm not sure if it's already been posted in the forum or not:
Ha! Thanks for that. I watched The Killing once (during my rabid Kubrick phase) and it was the only one of his films that left me utterly cold.

As far as Eyes Wide Shut goes, Warner have said this will be the uncensored original version in a new widescreen transfer.

I do hope they include both the European (119 minutes) and American (144 minutes) versions of The Shining in one edition, as opposed to putting them out in different regions - too many have dismissed the European version as a running-scared-hackjob (by and large, it seems, without having seen it), but it's just as interesting and legitimate as both versions of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. In many ways, it's a more disturbing, impressionistic film.

kinjitsu

#88 Post by kinjitsu » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:24 pm

Warner's dull Kubrick site hasn't been updated in ages. What's the point?
Narshty wrote:As far as Eyes Wide Shut goes, Warner have said this will be the uncensored original version in a new widescreen transfer.

I do hope they include both the European (119 minutes) and American (144 minutes) versions of The Shining in one edition, as opposed to putting them out in different regions - too many have dismissed the European version as a running-scared-hackjob (by and large, it seems, without having seen it), but it's just as interesting and legitimate as both versions of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. In many ways, it's a more disturbing, impressionistic film.
Much as I doubt they will, I would welcome that idea. We'll just have to wait and see.

So, instead of the original camera negative on EWS & The Shining, are we to expect matted widescreen transfers this time around ?

dx23

#89 Post by dx23 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:48 pm

Dr. Strangelove
Isn't this a Sony title?

justeleblanc

#90 Post by justeleblanc » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:22 pm

Well, Tarrantinto seemed to be a big fan of both The Killing and JLG, so who knows. Personally, I like Kubrick's films, but owning this boxset is almost as embarrasing as owning the Mel Brooks boxset.

Narshty

#91 Post by Narshty » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:55 pm

kinjitsu wrote:So, instead of the original camera negative on EWS & The Shining, are we to expect matted widescreen transfers this time around ?
Yep, we're getting proper widescreen anamorphic versions this time, according to HTF's Warner chat a few months back.

Antoine Doinel

#92 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:02 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Well, Tarrantinto seemed to be a big fan of both The Killing and JLG, so who knows. Personally, I like Kubrick's films, but owning this boxset is almost as embarrasing as owning the Mel Brooks boxset.
Uh, why? Because it isn't 100% complete and might diminish your cinephile cred with whoever might happen upon your collection of DVDs?

justeleblanc

#93 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:41 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:Well, Tarrantinto seemed to be a big fan of both The Killing and JLG, so who knows. Personally, I like Kubrick's films, but owning this boxset is almost as embarrasing as owning the Mel Brooks boxset.
Uh, why? Because it isn't 100% complete and might diminish your cinephile cred with whoever might happen upon your collection of DVDs?
No, it's more like I'm such a snob that I put films like Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange in a category for meth addicts and white supremacists.... not cinephiles. Having a Kubrick Collection standing out on your shelf kinda turns you into a punk hugh schooler who hates his rich parents. I still love Kubrick, but his fans really aren't serious cinephiles.

<<end snob comment>>

tavernier

#94 Post by tavernier » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:55 am

justeleblanc wrote:I still love Kubrick, but his fans really aren't serious cinephiles.
And you can say that because....um...you're a fan?

tryavna

#95 Post by tryavna » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:07 am

Or maybe he's just spent a lot of time over at the DVD Talk forums....

Antoine Doinel

#96 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:13 am

No, it's because no one understands Kubrick the way he does.

Or he might just be bitter because Kubrick "sold out" and became "popular". Part of the establishment, maaaaaaan.

toiletduck!

#97 Post by toiletduck! » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:23 am

Eesh, that's a harsh beating, justleblanc, someone just got the smack laid down 'pon them.

In all seriousness, I understand what you're saying, but I think that's a horrible line of reasoning. Kubrick is very much a 'gateway' director -- the first guy kids turn to when it's not cool to like Hollywood anymore -- but there's a reason for that. And just because a portion of Kubrick fanboys never quite make it past the "Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket! Stick it to the fuckin' man, maaaaan!" stage doesn't diminish the quality or importance of those or any of Kubrick's films (besides, how many Droog wannabes have ever been able to sit through Barry Lyndon? Not to knock Lyndon, it's one of my fav Kubricks, but definitely a litmus test).

-Toilet Dcuk

Matt

#98 Post by Matt » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:36 pm

The Stanley Kubrick Collection (UPC 085392584826) is now out of print.

Depending on what's included in the forthcoming new version (3rd time's the charm?), I may hang on to a few of these discs. I'd like to keep the "censored" version of Eyes Wide Shut if for no other reason than that's how I saw it in the theater.

Cobz

#99 Post by Cobz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:29 am

So... now news on a release date for the re-release box set? or at least teasing us with some art work?

Cinephrenic

#100 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:20 am

I really hope they choose a unique design for EWS. I hate that misleading stupid poster they had for the film.