Stanley Kubrick Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Cinesimilitude

#101 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:40 am

there's an HD boxset being released in early 07 with full metal jacket, clockwork orange, eyes wide shut, and 2001 (so far) we may get more hd titles and then all of them in a sd-dvd release at the same time...

Antoine Doinel

#102 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:37 am

Where did you hear about a HD Kubrick set?

miless

#103 Post by miless » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:46 pm

I was wondering what the hell happened with all this stuff... I had heard that it was planned for an August/September release... but that obviously never happened. I wonder if WB decided to just go for it and re-do all the Kubrick titles that need it (FMJ and BL included)

Gordon

#104 Post by Gordon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:55 am

I acquired Stanley Kubrick: The Invisible Man on DVD-R last week. I can't recall if I saw it on TV back in '95, but I was generally impressed with it. It includes footage of the invaluable The Making of 2001, MGM's 1968 promo film, which isn't listed at IMDb, so I submitted all the info I could on it. I recall seeing it on cable TV in the early 90s and it is very interesting, if somewhat short, but I really hope that both it and The Invisible Man are included on the SEs.

Cinesimilitude

#105 Post by Cinesimilitude » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:38 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:Where did you hear about a HD Kubrick set?
I checked my sources of HD info and couldnt find confirmation of it, but I'm sure I read it on thedigitalbits.com. I did however find this from videobusiness.com
Other planned 2006 day and date HD DVD and standard DVD releases are two-disc special editions of Forbidden Planet and four Stanley Kubrick directed classics: The Shining, Clockwork Orange, 2001: Space Odyssey and an uncut version of Eyes Wide Shut.
I also heard somewere that the kubricks contained some HD exclusive content. so I can't confirm a boxset, but I'd guess they'll put one out with full metal jackets hd release around that time.

kuzine

#106 Post by kuzine » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:09 pm

Went to a Q&A session with Jan Harlan this evening at the film festival in Gent.

He said the following about the forthcoming DVDs:

No outtakes, never.

No Fear and Desire, never.

He has cut "some other footage" (Compared it to Magritte) for the 2001 travel to jupiter segment to the music of Khatchaturian. Several versions will be included as bonus material.

Harlan also told Kubrick originally (back in the 70s) wanted to film eyes wide shut as a small b&w film in London or Dublin with Woody Allen as the lead (=doctor).

for what it's worth.....

Gordon

#107 Post by Gordon » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:38 am

kuzine wrote:He has cut "some other footage" (Compared it to Magritte) for the 2001 travel to jupiter segment to the music of Khatchaturian. Several versions will be included as bonus material.
:shock:

WOW!

Thanks for sharing, kuzine.

miless

#108 Post by miless » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:02 pm

kuzine wrote:Harlan also told Kubrick originally (back in the 70s) wanted to film eyes wide shut as a small b&w film in London or Dublin with Woody Allen as the lead (=doctor).
huh? that would have been a very different film

Dylan

#109 Post by Dylan » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Harlan also told Kubrick originally (back in the 70s) wanted to film eyes wide shut as a small b&w film in London or Dublin with Woody Allen as the lead (=doctor).
Wow. What in the hell would that have been like? I love adore Allen at his most dramatic, so my mind is boggling.

I do know that Kubrick was a huge fan of Woody, and wanted him for the Sidney Pollack role in "Eyes Wide Shut," but for whatever reason that didn't happen.

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to hear discussion of the different soundtracks for 2001: A Space Odyssey, that is if any of the featurettes/commentaries will explore. As many of us know, Alex North wrote and recorded an entire score that was rejected (it was re-recorded on CD around 13 years ago, conducted by Jerry Goldsmith...apparently, a few years ago the original recording sessions were discovered, but the tapes were 'erased' for some reason, and I don't remember what it was at the moment). Another soundtrack apparently was being worked on by Frank Cordell, who was adapting the music of Gustav Mahler for the entire film (Cordell's widow tried to get a CD release for it about 10 years ago after the North score was re-recorded on CD, but to no success). I do hope these subjects are approached in the supplements, will be interesting to hear more.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#110 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:08 pm

Dylan wrote:
Wow. What in the hell would that have been like? I love adore Allen at his most dramatic, so my mind is boggling.
Well, this was probably back in the days when Kubrick was thinking about doing Traumnovelle as a comedy with a script by Terry Southern (he also considered Steve Martin after seeing him in The Jerk).

Incidentally, I'd take this with a huuuuuuge grain of salt, but Lee Ermey claims Kubrick told him that EWS was a "piece of shit" and that Cruise and Kidman "had their way with him," whatever that means. Of course Kubrick was still actively working on the film when he died so it's not like he had any distance from it.

MichaelB

#111 Post by MichaelB » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:22 am

Dylan wrote:Meanwhile, it will be interesting to hear discussion of the different soundtracks for 2001: A Space Odyssey, that is if any of the featurettes/commentaries will explore.
There's also the question of what would have happened if György Ligeti had hated the film - given that MGM themselves acknowledged that he had an open-and-shut copyright infringement case against them.

He decided not to pursue it after they made it clear that their lawyers would drag it out for decades, but I suspect the fact that he liked the film (and recognised the enormous publicity boost that it gave him) played a part too.

But had things turned nasty, it's probably just as well that Kubrick had the Alex North score as back-up...

Gordon

#112 Post by Gordon » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:39 pm

I spied me something queer. Listings for a Special Edition of 2001 with a November 6th 2006 release date. Now, the RRP is different to the previous edition, which was £19.99, and that 'old' edition now goes cheap, ie. at Play.com so it would be weird for Warner to change the price like this. The giveaway might be the lack of artwork - and official announcement.

Click on each for the same listing:

Bensons
Sendit.com
Amazon.co.uk
DVD.co.uk

Benson's also list A Clockwork Orange.

It's probably just a banal mistake of some kind, but there it is. But I might add that this is the first time that I have seen these listings - certainly at Benson's, as they weren't listed last week.

a.khan

#113 Post by a.khan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:20 am

This is not a gripe. But wouldn't it be strange for WB to release such important (and highly anticipated in some circles) SEs without any fanfare? We are just a week away from Nov 6...

Gordon

#114 Post by Gordon » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:11 am

It would be extremely strange. I'm just trying to figure out where these listings came from -I'm certainly not expecting them to be released next week! :wink:

Antoine Doinel

#115 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:06 pm

Bill Hunt at Digital Bits wrote:By the way, a lot of you have been asking what's up with Warner's promised Stanley Kubrick special editions - the ones that we talked about back in January when we attended the studio's 2006 catalog DVD event. I've checked in with Warner reps and have learned that they're definitely still on the way. They're being completely remastered and will have all-new special features. They're now planned for release sometime in 2007... but most of you probably already guessed that. Just know that they're still coming and they should be pretty cool. We'll say more when there's more to say.

flyonthewall2983

#116 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:40 pm

Call me crazy, but I think someone earlier in this thread (or another Kubrick thread) referred to the fact something along the lines of that Stanley would never approved S.E.'s of his films if he was still alive. First, I'd like to know if it's true. I think it isn't since he approved several of his films to be Criterionized back in the early 90's.

skuhn8

#117 Post by skuhn8 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:53 pm

I've heard that stated here and elsewhere. He and Woody Allen were/are the heads of Keep it Simple Editions. But then...

Franz Kafka to Max Brod: "Max, [cough cough] promise me you'll burn that pile of unfinished crap in the giant bored-out nook in my bureau if I kick. Max? Max! You hear me?! I don't want that shit going out."

MB to FK: "Sure thing, kid. Just lie back and rest now."

tavernier

#118 Post by tavernier » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:12 pm

skuhn8 wrote:I've heard that stated here and elsewhere. He and Woody Allen were/are the heads of Keep it Simple Editions. But then...

Franz Kafka to Max Brod: "Max, [cough cough] promise me you'll burn that pile of unfinished crap in the giant bored-out nook in my bureau if I kick. Max? Max! You hear me?! I don't want that shit going out."

MB to FK: "Sure thing, kid. Just lie back and rest now."
Check out this letter from Jan Harlan, dated July 22, 2001, from nytimes.com, which says a lot about the Kubrick estate:
KUBRICK ON DVD; Beyond Analyzing

To the Editor:

Kevin Filipski, in his article ''Digital Editions of Kubrick Films: Two New, One 'Improved' '' [July 1], called the documentary ''Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures'' ''yet another missed opportunity for Warner to add to its Kubrick legacy'' and implied that Warner Home Video should have included additional scenes and video essays on the DVDs in its Stanley Kubrick collection.

Include outtakes? The ''Dr. Strangelove'' pie fight? Stanley would not have wanted me to include these. I know. And who am I to go against his wishes?

Should I, or others, have tried to analyze his films? Stanley refused to do this, not just because he didn't want to; he felt he could not do it and would merely join the long string of writers who failed in their attempts. The meaning of ''2001''? It's either obvious or impossible to explain. Let me end with a quote from Stanley: ''It's not a message I ever intend to convey in words.''

JAN HARLAN
London
The writer, who was Stanley Kubrick's brother-in-law, was producer and director of ''Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures.''
Five years later, and apparently Stanley's wishes are in the toilet.

MichaelB

#119 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:42 pm

skuhn8 wrote:I've heard that stated here and elsewhere. He and Woody Allen were/are the heads of Keep it Simple Editions.
And Aki Kaurismäki, though in his case I'd happily kill for a commentary, what with him being the most self-deprecating director in cinema history. It'll never happen, but I can always dream.

Harvey Domino

#120 Post by Harvey Domino » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:05 am

What's the hold up on the re-issues?

Is Warner too busy pimping Ralphie May's Girth Of A Nation or Russell Peter's Outsourced to drop the Kubrick titles?

Highway 61

#121 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:20 pm

Well, Warners was only planning on revisiting four titles, I'm guessing they realized that was pretty asinine and decided to do all their Kubricks.

Harvey Domino

#122 Post by Harvey Domino » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:53 am

I want three-disc sets for every damn film, and they better street next tuesday.

shearerchic

#123 Post by shearerchic » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:43 pm

Highway 61 wrote:Well, Warners was only planning on revisiting four titles, I'm guessing they realized that was pretty asinine and decided to do all their Kubricks.
yeah it wouldn't make sense to do 4 and not do the others. i really can't wait for the SE of lolita, 2001, the shining, and full metal jacket.

Antoine Doinel

#124 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:08 pm

Yeah, I really anticipating these releases and if they are also arriving in HD, it will probably the main reason I give in and buy a player (and I guess a TV to make the whole exercise worth it).

I wonder if they are going to hold back the releases until 2008 to coincide with what would've been Kubrick's 80th birthday.

Highway 61

#125 Post by Highway 61 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:12 pm

I'm sure you're right. 2008 is also the 40th anniversary of 2001 (hmm what an odd sentence). They wouldn't pass up that opportunity. Sigh. Another year.