The Val Lewton Horror Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
sabbath

Re: The Val Lewton Horror Collection

#126 Post by sabbath » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Just done the same thing and luckily my box set was OK.

But I'm familiar with the problem since I've lost several other Warner DVDs, mainly from Warner Gangsters Collection. But the most painful loss was my TCM Archives: Lon Chaney Collection which I couldn't afford a new one.

BTW, while checking out my Val Lewton box, I had to admit that now they look messy on my new TV. Damn it, Criterion. You and your missed opportunities.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#127 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 pm

This is a common problem with all Warners DVDs. It's random, and could hit any DVD you have from them. One copy of a title will be fine, and another effected. If you own a lot of Warner DVDs you haven't checked lately, I guarantee you have a couple that have succumbed in the interim

Mungo

#128 Post by Mungo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Do any of the Blus have the same problem, or is it just the DVDs?

Paul Moran

#129 Post by Paul Moran » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:This is a common problem with all Warners DVDs. It's random, and could hit any DVD you have from them. One copy of a title will be fine, and another effected. If you own a lot of Warner DVDs you haven't checked lately, I guarantee you have a couple that have succumbed in the interim
According to my database, I have about 420 Warners DVD "products", PAL & NTSC, including lots of "themed" and "actor" boxed sets and TV series. I haven't watched any of them since I bought them. I'll put a thorough check on my "to do" list, after "watch the extras" and "listen to the commentaries". :)

Dr Amicus

#130 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:08 pm

And is the problem with PAL discs as well? My Warner discs are a mixture of NTSC and PAL... (including the ostensible subject of this thread)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#131 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 pm

I have not heard of it impacting any Blus from Warners. I don't know about UK releases either, but I'd bet they were pressed not at whatever factory messed these up for Warners stateside, so hopefully uneffected