Ben-Hur

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Lino

Ben-Hur

#1 Post by Lino » Thu May 12, 2005 10:58 am

Warner has kindly sent over artwork for a four-disc collector's edition of Ben Hur which should be arriving in shops this September. The set has yet to be officially announced I'm afraid, so details are still pretty sketchy at the moment. However, we can confirm that the set will feature an all-new transfer from newly restored 65mm elements, as well as the original 1925 silent film version of Ben-Hur. As for the extra material, you should expect an all new documentary, scene specific commentary by Charlton Heston, a Making of an Epic Documentary, screen tests and more. We'll bring you the full spec rundown, just as soon as we get it. For now though, here's our first look at the official region one package artwork

Jeff

#2 Post by Jeff » Wed May 25, 2005 10:14 pm

Disc One & Two: The Movie
* Newly Remastered and Restored from Original 65mm Film Elements
* Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio
* Commentary by Film Historian T. Gene Hatcher with Scene Specific Comments from Charlton Heston
* Music-Only Track Showcasing Miklos Rozsa’s Score
* Screen Tests
* Vintage Newsreels Gallery
* Highlights from the 1960 Academy Awards Ceremony
* Theatrical Trailer Gallery

Disc Three: The 1925 Silent Version
* The Thames Television Restoration with Stereophonic Orchestral Score by Composer Carl Davis

Disc Four: About the Movies
* New Documentary: Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema - Current filmmakers such as Ridley Scott and George Lucas reflect on the importance and influence of the film
* 1994 Documentary: Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic Hosted by Christopher Plummer
* Directed by William Wyler – 1986 Emmy Award® -nominated documentary featuring the last interview with Wyler before his death
* Ben-Hur: A Journey Through Pictures - New audiovisual recreation of the film via stills, storyboards, sketches, music and dialogue

exte

#3 Post by exte » Thu May 26, 2005 1:48 pm

This release looks pretty solid. I guess it would be too much to ask if Columbia would do the same with Lawrence of Arabia...

Cinesimilitude

#4 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:02 pm

It's odd that Ben-Hur was made in 2.74:1 aspect ratio.

are there any other films that have a the same, or a larger ratio?

FilmFanSea

#5 Post by FilmFanSea » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:52 am

SncDthMnky wrote:It's odd that Ben-Hur was made in 2.74:1 aspect ratio.

are there any other films that have a the same, or a larger ratio?
The Widescreen Museum lists 10 films (including Ben-Hur)---and segments of one other---that were filmed with the MGM Camera 65/Ultra Panavision 70 process.

See also: Ben-Hur Review Part I

Solaris

#6 Post by Solaris » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:25 am

Can anyone confirm the status of the 1925 version?

How good is the transfer?

Is it uncensored? (I believe the original print contained nudity that has been missing on subsequent prints)

thomega

#7 Post by thomega » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:26 am

Solaris wrote:1925 version? ... How good is the transfer?
It's non-progressive, but looks fine on my TV.
Solaris wrote:Is it uncensored? (I believe the original print contained nudity that has been missing on subsequent prints)
The flower girls scene is there (by the way: it's also shown in the documentary that was already part of the old edition).

tryavna

#8 Post by tryavna » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:09 pm

thomega wrote:
Solaris wrote:1925 version? ... How good is the transfer?
It's non-progressive, but looks fine on my TV.
Same here. I notice a little "ghosting" when I play it on my computer monitor, but it's not terribly distracting. I don't notice it at all on my tube TV.

Ben Cheshire

Ben Hur (1959) BD, Nov 2010

#9 Post by Ben Cheshire » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:00 pm

According to this site:

http://www.dvdreview.com/news/viewnews.asp?id=11482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like “The Wizard Of Oz” recently and “Gone With the Wind” in the next few weeks, Warner Home Video has decided to give Ben Hur the absolutely best treatment possible and have scheduled the film for release on Blu-Ray Disc next November.
After his boyhood friend Messala's fanatic loyalty to Rome makes him a powerful enemy, Judah Ben-Hur is found guilty of an attempted murder he did not commit. His family is banished and he is enslaved on a warship. Through his ferocity in a raging sea battle, he is able to escape and become a horse trainer. To exact his revenge, Ben-Hur decides to compete against Messala in the Roman chariot races. They race, locked in a battle to the death. Barely surviving, Ben-Hur forsakes the sword for Christ and finally finds redemption. Winner of a record 11 Academy Award, including Best Picture and Actor (Charlton Heston).
Painstakingly restored and prepared for high definition, the release will arrive in a wonderful gift set with all the bells and whistles you can hope for. Though no exact details have been announced at this time, we are already excited to see this cinematic landmark one year from now.

HerrSchreck

Re: Ben-Hur

#10 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:01 pm

I wonder if they'll include, as they have for the SD, the absolutely sublime MGM silent with Novarro, which was a real class touch on WB's part. Like Paramount did w The Ten Commandments (whose silent version is police manure next to the fucking grand magnificence of the silent Ben Hur).

dx23

#11 Post by dx23 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:51 am

From Blu-ray.com:
Ben-Hur and Citizen Kane DVDs Vaulted, Blu-ray in 2011

Posted April 28, 2010 03:51 AM by Juan Calonge

Warner Bros.Warner Home Video has announced a moratorium initiative in North America for two of its best-selling titles. As of May 10, the DVD of Citizen Kane will be pulled from shelves; in July 12, Ben-Hur will follow. Both films are undergoing comprehensive restorations in preparation for their return in 2011 – now on Blu-ray.

Jeff Baker, Warner's Executive Vice President and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog stated, "As in the past, Warner Home Video is, once again, placing two of our 'event' titles on moratorium 12-18 months in advance of major re-releases." He added: "We know that it will be worth the wait, as significant content additions are being developed, and Ben-Hur, in particular, has been selected to receive the Ultimate Collectors Edition treatment, reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind and Woodstock, which celebrated anniversaries in 2009."

Last year, WHV put three movies in moratorium: Caddyshack, Doctor Zhivago and The Exorcist (see blu-ray.com, August 7, 2009). The first two have already been announced on Blu-ray; the third is expected to be announced later in the year.

Note that Ben-Hur had appeared in a provisional release schedule for 2010

manicsounds

#12 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:08 pm

dvdbeaver reviews it. Looks great, new extras as well, but the 1925 version is still in standard definition....

dx23

#13 Post by dx23 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Best Buy is selling 2 exclusive editions: one that is a Blu-ray combo pack without the big box set crap ($30) and other exclusive that includes a Roman soldier figure ($60).

fdm

#14 Post by fdm » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:54 am

dx23 wrote:Best Buy is selling 2 exclusive editions: one that is a Blu-ray combo pack without the big box set crap ($30) and other exclusive that includes a Roman soldier figure ($60).
The Best Buy combo pack is 2 blu-rays for the movie only, along with a dvd version of the movie only, and just a couple/three extras tied to the movie discs. Sale price is $29.99, should go back to $34.99 after this week.

The UK version is 3 blu-rays with most/all of the extras (including the silent version, though just 480p) and costs less than Best Buy's combo pack. (And also comes with none of the big box set crap.) It's currently running for £15.93 (with VAT), though it had a better pre-order price of £11.93 (with VAT) at one point, so it may end up there again down the line, timeframe unknown.

And... Wal-Mart has a bare-bones 2-disc blu-ray version for $19.96.

Snap of the UK version's backside. Discs 1 and 2 are seemingly identical between each of these sets.

(Updated as of release date.)

Fred Holywell

#15 Post by Fred Holywell » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:37 pm

dx23 wrote:Best Buy is selling 2 exclusive editions: one that... includes a Roman soldier figure ($60).
You can't be serious. Why in the world would anyone want to spend extra $ for a Stephen Boyd doll?