Looney Tunes

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dx23

#51 Post by dx23 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:47 am

Matt

#52 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:44 am

I'm going to remain optimistic and hope that this just means the last DVD release and that they are going to release the cartoons on Blu-ray in a more responsible fashion (i.e. chronological, character-based or complete themed collections like the Disney Treasures sets).

Antoine Doinel

#53 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:26 am

Excellent point Matt. One of the reasons I've stayed away from these sets was their scattershot cartoon selection process.

Jeff

#54 Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Here's what Jerry Beck says:
This is indeed the last GOLDEN COLLECTION.

However, It is NOT the last Looney Tunes DVD release from Warner Home Video. In fact, we have huge plans for 2009 and beyond for Looney Tunes DVD releases. I'm not allowed to say any more at this time.

Scharphedin2

#55 Post by Scharphedin2 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:21 pm

I am with Matt. Some kind of chronological series of sets decade by decade, with discs in each set dedicated to specific characters would be ideal. And, I have no doubt that we will see plenty of these cartoons on Blu-ray in due time. Surely these sets must be hugely profitable for Warner. However, the Laserdisc collections did not differ significantly from the DVDs in organisation, so in the end it is probably wishful thinking that they Warner would change their practice with the new medium.

dx23

#56 Post by dx23 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Matt wrote:
I'm going to remain optimistic and hope that this just means the last DVD release and that they are going to release the cartoons on Blu-ray in a more responsible fashion (i.e. chronological, character-based or complete themed collections like the Disney Treasures sets).
This has been my biggest problems with the sets. WB is releasing these volumes without any rhyme or reasoning as to what is included in each collection. The Animation department has always been the Achilles heel for WB. They have so many material and they always crap on it at the time of release.

Cinephrenic

#57 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:43 pm

No matter how they released these, I was just glad these shorts were being released. Sad news, I think. :cry:

Gregory

#58 Post by Gregory » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:02 pm

I figured they had to jumble them up to "force" people to buy a lot of the less familiar and beloved cartoons by packaging them in with what the masses want (Bugs Bunny, anything by Chuck Jones, etc.). They probably make more money by having fairly solid sales on all the sets than by having phenomenal sales for one or two of them and having only the real die-hards buy all the others. I also wish there were some order, if for no other reason than it would help me remember what each set contains, but I would be surprised if they changed their approach.
As for the series being discontinued to make way for different releases on a new format, I don't have anything to say beyond what I've already said about Blu-Ray in general (and I'll try to make this the last time I gripe about it). There is a lot of really obscure, great stuff that has never seen the light of day on a digital medium, and the picture looks a lot bleaker now.
According to their business model, why should they put the huge investment into the Tex Avery material when there is a new source of profits in Blu-Ray releases of cartoons they've already released on standard definition DVD? This is just one example, of course -- it's hard to predict what will happen with any particular release.

Si Parallel Universe

#59 Post by Si Parallel Universe » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:49 pm

The Update is interesting

Seems like it isn't all bad news after all. Panic ye not :)

Cinephrenic

#60 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:53 pm

If they have no plans to duplicate material from the first sets, then what the hell are they going to do? Chronological or characters sets would not make sense? Are they going to have a set called "remaining shit" on 20 discs?

Si Parallel Universe

#61 Post by Si Parallel Universe » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:16 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:If they have no plans to duplicate material from the first sets, then what the hell are they going to do? Chronological or characters sets would not make sense? Are they going to have a set called "remaining shit" on 20 discs?

Of the "remaining shit" how many Tex Avery shorts and the list of "11 censored" shorts remain or indeed how many Bob Clampett shorts remain unreleased? Those would be my questions.

I have to admit that I would have liked to have seen at least ten Golden Collection sets as was hinted at , at one time.

Matt

#62 Post by Matt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:If they have no plans to duplicate material from the first sets, then what the hell are they going to do? Chronological or characters sets would not make sense? Are they going to have a set called "remaining shit" on 20 discs?
Exactly. I think this is even worse news. What exactly are we going to get that is not a Golden Collection but also not anything that's already been released?

Scharphedin2

#63 Post by Scharphedin2 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:49 pm

Well, I have in my possession about 190 Avery cartoons (not all Warner Brohers, of course) from unofficial sources, so they could begin with one or two sets dedicated to his work. My impression is that there is far more material still unreleased, than the drippings that have made it out on that handful of sets. But without retreading past ground, I guess we will end up with Cinephrenic's wonderful collections of remaining shit somehow imaginatively released under one or more thematic umbrellas.

Frankly, I would be quite happy to purchase the same old cartoons again, if it meant that they would be contextualised and organised like the Disney collections.

Titus

#64 Post by Titus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:47 pm

It's possible that the upcoming releases will be for Blu-Ray, but certainly not Blu-Ray only, especially given the promise that there won't be duplicated shorts.

There are hundreds of Golden Age shorts that they haven't released yet. I could've seen them releasing them sans extensive supplements and getting them out faster and cheaper (ala Eclipse), but that isn't really commensurate with them remaining so tight-lipped about their future plans.

I'm with Gregory in that my only complaint with the current format is remembering which set contains what. I don't think it was realistic to expect them to take a staunchly chronological approach to releasing them. That would have had them releasing 20+ years of material before getting to something like What's Opera, Doc?. Perhaps now that they have so many of the iconic shorts released, they're more comfortable in releasing what's left in more historically/thematically coherent patterns. Whatever the case, I'm just glad they're still releasing them without just recycling the material they've already released (as they're still a long, long way from emptying the vaults).

dx23

#65 Post by dx23 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:58 am

I think is time for Warner to revamp and clean up their animation department. The mishandling of the Looney Tunes releases along with the problems with other sets like the Flintstones, Tom and Jerry and ThunderCats are perfect examples of the company wasting their assets and treating their customers like jackasses. If they can give incredible releases for thei catalog titles, why can't they do the same for animation?

I don't get how can they fumble something so simple. They should have released these shorts either by character, like Disney does, by year or by artist(Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, etc). I completely agree that it is hard to remember what shorts are in each set.

And like I mentioned before, the revamped Spanish dubbing in these sets is just beyond awful. Old jokes and dialogue have been replaced with new stuff made to fit the year 2000.

Jeff

#66 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Jerry Beck has posted all of the info on the supplements for Volume 6:

Disc One: Looney Tunes All Stars

Commentaries
Hare Trigger Commentary by Greg Ford
Birth of a Notion Commentary by Mark Kausler
My Favorite Duck Commentary by Jerry Beck

Music Only Tracks
Raw! Raw! Rooster
Jumpin’ Jupiter
Rabbit Rampage
Boyhood Daze

The Looney Tunes Television Specials
Bugs Bunny in King Arthur’s Court [1978 WBTV special]
Daffy Duck’s Easter Eggcitement [1980 WBTV special]

Bonus Cartoons
Sniffles Takes a Trip [1940 WB cartoon]
Hippety Hopper [1949 WB cartoon]
Rabbit Rampage [1955 WB cartoon]
Boyhood Daze [1957 WB cartoon]

Disc Two: Patriotic Pals
Commentaries
Herr Meets Herr Commentary by Greg Ford
Russian Rhapsody Commentary by Mark Kausler
The Draft Horse Commentary by Greg Ford
Fifth Column Mouse Commentary by Jerry Beck

Music Only Track
Yankee Dood It

Friz Freleng at MGM
Poultry Pirates [1938 MGM cartoon]
A Day at the Beach [1938 MGM cartoon]
The Captain’s Christmas [1938 MGM cartoon]
Seal Skinners [1939 MGM cartoon]
Mama’s New Hat [1939 MGM cartoon]

Bonus Cartoons
The Fighting 69 1/2th [1941 WB cartoon]
Hop and Go [1943 WB cartoon]
Confusions of a Nutsy Spy [1943 WB cartoon]

Disc Three: Bosko, Buddy and Merrie Melodies

Commentaries
Shuffle Off to Buffalo Commentary by Historian Jerry Beck
A Cartoonist’s Nightmare Commentary by Historian Jerry Beck

The World of Leon Schlesinger
Introduction by Martha Sigall and Jerry Beck
Crying for the Carolines [1930 WB short]
Haunted Gold Title Sequence
Schlesinger Productions Christmas Party with Optional Commentary by Martha Sigall and Jerry Beck

Bonus Cartoons
I Love a Parade [1932 WB cartoon]
I Like Mountain Music [1933 WB cartoon]
Sittin’ on a Backyard Fence [1933 WB cartoon]
How Do I Know It’s Sunday [1934 WB cartoon]

Disc Four: Most Requested Assorted Nuts (One-Shots)

Commentaries
Fresh Airedale Commentary by historian Greg Ford
The Hole Idea Commentary by animator Mark Kausler

Alternate Audio Programs
The Hole Idea Music Only Track
Martian Through Georgia Music Only Track
Punch Trunk Music and Effects Track
Wild Wild World Music Only Track

Bonus Documentary
Mel Blanc: The Man of a Thousand Voices (70 mins.)

Bonus Cartoons
Sleepy Time Possum [1951 WB Cartoon]
Punch Trunk [1953 WB Cartoon]
Wild Wild World [1960 WB Cartoon]
Bartholomew versus the Wheel [1964 WB Cartoon]

Cinephrenic

#67 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:05 pm

There are some great treats on this volume. I still upset that it was the last set. Why don't they just release these chronologically on Blu-ray.

dx23

Re: Looney Tunes Golden Collections

#68 Post by dx23 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:53 pm

It appears that WB will continue to release Looney Tunes shorts without any rhyme or reasoning. Tvshowsondvd.com is reporting that Warner will release a sample of The Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes comedy hour containing a mix of Hannah-Barbera toons with Looney Tunes shorts in the mix, similar to how the show was presented back in the day.

Max von Mayerling

#69 Post by Max von Mayerling » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Ack. I'm feeling pains in my gut. I hope they have other plans as well. And where the heck is Tex when you need him?

HypnoHelioStaticStasis

#70 Post by HypnoHelioStaticStasis » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:42 pm

I don't think the above news is too distressing: they're just emptying out/testing the Hanna-Barbera market. The Bugs Bunny Hour/Road Runner Hour were actual shows that basically just recycled old Looney Tunes toons, and come in package deals, as it were. A good many of these cartoons are already available (such as Top Cat). I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these in future official Looney Tunes collections.

If not, I'm gonna get on Jerry Beck's ass.

dx23

#71 Post by dx23 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:55 am

HypnoHelioStaticStasis wrote:I don't think the above news is too distressing: they're just emptying out/testing the Hanna-Barbera market. The Bugs Bunny Hour/Road Runner Hour were actual shows that basically just recycled old Looney Tunes toons, and come in package deals, as it were. A good many of these cartoons are already available (such as Top Cat). I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these in future official Looney Tunes collections.

If not, I'm gonna get on Jerry Beck's ass.
This is what annoys me. Why is Warner recycling all these toons when many of them already have releases? Why is it that they can release their cartoons, especially Looney Tunes in some sort of order? As good as WB is in their film department, the animation one is the complete opposite. They continue to screw things up year after year.

Matt

#72 Post by Matt » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:07 pm

I don't get what the big fuss is. These are just themed samplers for people who don't want to buy a bunch of box sets just to relive the Saturday mornings of their childhoods. I have all of the Looney Tunes collections, but I was thinking about buying the 1970s Saturday morning set. I'd like to see an episode of Funky Phantom, but I'm not going to buy a complete series set to do it.

Saturnome

#73 Post by Saturnome » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:33 pm

I thought that it was told that the Looney Toons would come back in some sort of other form on DVD but without double dipping the content of the Golden Collection. This is not the case here, so I'd wait for any other announcement.

Jeff

#74 Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:08 am

Matt wrote:I don't get what the big fuss is. These are just themed samplers for people who don't want to buy a bunch of box sets just to relive the Saturday mornings of their childhoods. I have all of the Looney Tunes collections, but I was thinking about buying the 1970s Saturday morning set. I'd like to see an episode of Funky Phantom, but I'm not going to buy a complete series set to do it.
Agreed. I don't really see any cause for concern. I'm sure the Looney Tunes boxes for collectors will continue in some form, and these are unrelated to them. They have always released smaller "family friendly" sets designed to entertain the rug rats. I've got all the Golden Collections, but I'll definitely pick up the 70s set to relive my own childhood, and maybe even the 60s set as most of those were featured on my beloved USA's Cartoon Express (anybody else remember that?). If they do an 80s set with Warner properties The Smurfs, The Snorks, Richie Rich, Scrappy Doo, Pac-Man, Shirt Tales, Flintstone Kids, Superfriends, Tarzan and the Super 7, Plastic Man, The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show, and Gilligan's Planet, I'm on board.

God, I'm pathetic.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#75 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:30 am

Jeff wrote: my beloved USA's Cartoon Express (anybody else remember that?).
Wow, I probably hadn't been reminded of the existence of USA'S Cartoon Express for at least fifteen years. Between this and the Van Damme discussion, I'm discovering there's no bottom to that well of things I remember that I didn't remember I remembered