It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Looney Tunes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:36 am 

Werewolf by Night wrote:
This is how they should have done these releases YEARS ago. I expect this will probably be on pressed DVDs for the initial run.

Either this way or chronologically. WB really screwed up releasing the Looney Tunes catalog during the prime of the DVD era.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:56 pm 

I put up an Imgur album of screencaps. Mostly the cartoons exclusive to this set, but a few of the previously released ones for comparison.
https://imgur.com/a/JqocI

I'd compare this to the Walt Disney Treasures sets Mickey Mouse in B&W Vol. 2 or More Silly Symphonies. No extensive restoration on the new-to-disc cartoons, but they're high quality transfers . Some seem to have the opening titles lifted from an older video master, with the body taken from a new transfer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 pm 

The set is indeed DVDR for the curious.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:55 pm 

Er, are you sure/did you or someone you know not get pressed discs? Everyone on Blu-ray's forums who ordered it from WB thus far seem to still be getting pressed discs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:15 pm 

I ordered from Amazon which might be the cause of the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:32 pm 

I had read elsewhere that pre-orders from Amazon would be fulfilled with pressed discs. I pre-ordered and got DVD-Rs. Not happy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:12 pm 

I ordered from WB & received pressed dvds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 am 

If you want pressed DVDs, the best way to ensure that is to either order from WB or Deep Discount, who apparently fulfills orders for WB. In the past, I don't believe Amazon has ever gotten pressed DVD editions of Warner Archive releases.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am 

Feego wrote:
I don't believe Amazon has ever gotten pressed DVD editions of Warner Archive releases.

I ordered the James Whale Show Boat from amazon.com and received a pressed version about six months ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:29 am 

Got mine from WBShop and the discs are definitely pressed. That was the only reason I used them honestly.

I've only just cracked open the set but I absolutely love seeing these chronologically.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:24 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Amazon burns their own versions of Warner Archive releases, so if it's initially pressed, you won't be getting that copy unless you order from literally any other retailer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 am 

"Fish Tales" is one bizarre, disturbing cartoon, with the dream sequence of the grinning fish preparing to cook and eat Porky. Surprising to me that it was directed by Jack King; I like a lot of his Disney work but none of it approaches the weirdness here, which is kind of Clampett-ish but without the breakneck pacing so it just seems... grim. Fascinating though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:06 pm 

I might return my Amazon copy then, if other places have pressed versions. I should add that the first disc made my family room blu-ray player, a cheapo Seiki model, completely lock up to the point that I had to unplug the player to get the disc out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:09 am 

Feego wrote:
If you want pressed DVDs, the best way to ensure that is to either order from WB or Deep Discount, who apparently fulfills orders for WB.
Got pressed Porky Pig DVDs from DDs sibling-storefront DVDPacific. Thank you for the heads-up!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 pm 

This set is a real treasure so far. I bought all those Looney Tunes collections in the early-2000s and assumed that we'd never get more. It's also a real treat to see them contextualized chronologically instead of a theme as you see how Porky Pig led the evolution of the Warner style. Half-way through the first disc, you begin to see how antiquated the Jack King cartoons are with their rubbery, bouncing characters with pie-eyes when compared to Frank Tashlin's Porky in the North Woods, with its endless energy and quick shots or the modernist gags of Tex Avery's The Village Smithy that remind you that the lunacy of his MGM shorts were there from the start. The addition of Carl Stalling makes a considerable difference. The early scores sound rather generic, but suddenly when Carl Stalling starts throwing cue after cue from the Warner music catalog that matches the increasing strangeness of the cartoons, it makes an astronomical difference. I'm barely a little over a disc in and I can't be any happier with this purchase. I'm willing to live with Betacam, 16mm or beat-up dupe quality prints on some of these cartoons if it means we're just able to see them at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:24 pm 

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
when compared to Frank Tashlin's Porky in the North Woods, with its endless energy and quick shots or the modernist gags of Tex Avery's The Village Smithy that remind you that the lunacy of his MGM shorts were there from the start.
Completely agree with all of your post. The addition of Tash and Avery made such a visible difference, and it's been fascinating so far to watch the progression chronologically. One of the biggest laughs in my house so far came surprisingly early, though, at the impeccable punchline of "Gold Diggers of '49."

More Looney Tunes sets like this -- and a definitive Tex Avery at MGM compilation -- would be wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:30 pm 

I don't think he's covered much in this set, but it is also interesting to watch Friz Freleng's evolution. He started off as a Disney animator and was one of the first animators turned director at Termite Terrace after the exodus of Harman and Ising. At first he stayed fairly within the lines of what they set up, but always matched pace with the new talent. Avery, Tashlin, and others ascendance really caused him a work out that is wonderful to see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9