UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Finch

Re: UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2126 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:44 pm

Yeah, I really don't want to rely on Atanasov for audio, either. I'll keep an eye on the Blahray blog; maybe he'll get to review that disc eventually.

nicolas

UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading

#2127 Post by nicolas » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:20 pm

Just watched Sleepless in Seattle from the new Columbia Classics volume 4. If this is the standard for all the other films, we’re in for something special.

The restoration and encode are just about perfect. Noticed no flaws whatsoever across the film. (Grain resolves perfectly but it isn’t totally as crisp as I’d have expected from a 90s film. Maybe Sony gently low-pass filtered the master similar to the old Pixelogic for Criterion’s UHDs. I wasn’t distracted and I wouldn’t say it’s a negative as there is no evidence. The film could have been shot just that way. By the way, the great Sven Nykvist was the DP on this. I had no idea.)

The reviewer on the other forum rated this much worse than the other UHDs in the set as he apparently thought it’s too “dark”. Couldn’t disagree more. Maybe he watched it in broad daylight. Yes, the HDR grade doesn’t torch the eyes but it’s far from a Heat situation which the review made me believe it’ll be.

I started watching the film with the Atmos track but it isn’t too great. The music is incredibly bassy and unnaturally so. Dialogues are good. Both the 5.1 and 2.0 are better and just fine for the film.

Finch, would it be more convenient for your links in the spreadsheet if I make individual posts for the 6 films in the set or one shorter, more general post after spot-checking the discs?

Edit: I read the master notes in the book and the restoration producer mentioned that they based their grade on a “talent-approved” master without stating who it was that approved their source. Nora Ephron passed away in 2012, Sven Nykvist even earlier but good to know that they had something to base their work on. Source was the OCN.
Last edited by nicolas on Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaMiller

#2128 Post by LisaMiller » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:34 pm

I just finished watching Sleepless in Seattle from the new Columbia Classics Volume 4, and I have to agree, the restoration and encode are truly impressive. I didn't notice any flaws either, and while the grain might not be as crisp as expected, it didn't detract from the viewing experience for me. I didn't know Sven Nykvist was the DP on this film, that's a great tidbit of information!

Regarding the HDR grade, I found it to be just right. It wasn't overly bright, but it also didn't make the film overly dark. It's all about personal preference, I suppose. As for the Atmos track, I started with it too, but I switched to the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks, which I found to be more suitable for the film.

Regarding your question about the spreadsheet, I think individual posts for each film would be more convenient for the links. It would make it easier to navigate and find specific information about each film. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the other films in the set!

Finch

#2129 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:33 pm

Whichever works easier for you, Nicholas.

Finch

#2130 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:41 pm

What seller are people using for Scream/Shout Factory discs? I'm not going to order from them directly ever after reading about the experience of one BR.com user who got told he wasn't going to get a replacement for his scratched Scream Factory 4k because they didn't deem the scratches serious enough to impede smooth playback after he'd sent them pictures of the discs. Shocking customer service. I got a scratch free Black Christmas 4k when it originally released and am considering getting Darkman. I'm hearing Amazon usually exchange with no questions asked but I also worry if you have to keep having to ask for SF replacements how long they'll comply before they too tell you to shut up already. The reason I'm tempted to get Darkman now is that Arrow no longer do dual format releases (never mind that the film isn't confirmed as coming from them - yet) and with the Scream disc I'd be able to watch the BD until I can finally upgrade to 4k TVs and players.

TechnicolorAcid

#2131 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:45 pm

I generally trust OrbitDVD mainly because they have stated that they won’t sell scratched discs and I imagine if there was an issue you could just get a quick response and proper replacement disc from their wonderful customer service.

Finch

#2132 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:46 pm

Good to know, thanks! I buy from them regularly though I prefer a bulk order of three discs to qualify for free shipping. Might make an exception though.

nicolas

#2133 Post by nicolas » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:52 pm

Finch wrote:What seller are people using for Scream/Shout Factory discs? I'm not going to order from them directly ever after reading about the experience of one BR.com user who got told he wasn't going to get a replacement for his scratched Scream Factory 4k because they didn't deem the scratches serious enough to impede smooth playback after he'd sent them pictures of the discs. Shocking customer service. I got a scratch free Black Christmas 4k and am considering getting Darkman. I'm hearing Amazon usually exchange with no questions asked but I also worry if you have to keep having to ask for SF replacements how long they'll comply before they too tell you to shut up already. The reason I'm tempted to get Darkman now is that Arrow no longer do dual format releases and with the Scream disc I'd be able to watch the BD until I can finally upgrade to 4k TVs and players.
I’m using DeepDiscount and WowHD (same company) for all my purchases of US items that aren’t exclusives, such as the Vinegar Syndrome LEs. Their customer service is admittedly terrible and I had some very bad encounters with them over the years (no answers, very lengthy conversations etc.) but when it works out, they’re very good at sorting things out. For instance, I never had to return damaged items, including those with scratched discs. After sending them pictures, they either send out a replacement or full refund whichever they consider appropriate. Yes, that’s true, it’s their call to make. The only thing I recommend is that you use PayPal for your purchase and not credit cards as it allows you to file a claim in case they don’t respond to your emails. I had to do this four or five times already and that works, they reply once you file the claim and sort it out fairly quickly without escalating.
This sounds fairly negative, which it is as soon as they’re unresponsive. Other than that, I’m more than glad they’re around and ship these items fairly securely too. Everything I get from Amazon US arrives damaged and nearly all shipments from DD arrive unscathed, even the Columbia Classics 4 which is miraculous as DD / WOW never use protection for the items. Their boxes are fitted for Blu-ray’s and it works out amazingly well. I’d say give them a try and look for the 15% offers once or twice a month to make bundle orders.

Finch

#2134 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:58 pm

I always use PayPal where possible and am actually wondering why Criterion won't accept it as a payment method. I like DD (used to buy from wowHD when I was still living in Europe) and never had any issues though their packaging is indeed crap so on the very rare occasion that I do buy a steelbook, I would not be buying from them (or Amazon for that matter). That Orbit try not to pass on scratched discs to their customers is a nice touch and not unexpected given how good my experience with them has been since I shifted my purchases from Grindhouse (which were all good, to be fair) to Orbit but that means they either check their inventory of allocated discs from the most affected labels (Scream/Shout and Criterion) before putting them on sale or they're willing to accept quite a few returns or replacement requests. I think Jesse at Diabolik is the only other retailer (indie or otherwise) who checks their inventory but I don't like how he effectively locks you in once you make a purchase (if you want to cancel, you get store credit instead of refunds) and his dispatch is slower than Orbit's.

Re Columbia Vol 4: I read that His Girl Friday looks very good but that too again makes me wish that Sony would finally release the films from all those sets as standalones especially when Volumes 1 & 2 have been out forever. Those sets also feel somewhat randomly curated and with each of them so far, I've only ever wanted one out of the four or five offered (Taxi Driver and His Girl Friday, and maybe Punch Drunk Love).

dwk

#2135 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:15 pm

Consensus at the Blu-ray forum is that Kino's The Boogens UHD is a dud. Bad transfer from Paramount combined with a spotty encode.

Finch

#2136 Post by Finch » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:25 pm

Saw that too. Their 4ks over the last year or so aren't even worth getting at sale prices.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2137 Post by Drucker » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:05 pm

Kino: we excel at only one format.

TechnicolorAcid

#2138 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:48 pm

I just hope they don’t mess up this bad with the High Noon 4K.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2139 Post by tenia » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:52 am

caps-a-holic now have comparisons of the UHD vs the Paramount Presents BD and oh my god it would be legitimate to think the caps have been mixed up.

nicolas

#2140 Post by nicolas » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:39 am

Columbia Classics Vol. 4. I initially thought I’d write something separately about all the presentations, highlighting the usual but after looking at all of them, it’s clear that these are all genuinely extraordinary UHDs. It’s astonishing how well these turned out. I looked for the smallest of flaws in the encodes but they’re just not there. Audio-wise superb as well. The original tracks sound all great to my ears - very clear, precise, not excessively filtered or altered. Other people may judge better but I can’t imagine that these are significantly flawed.

My personal highlights from the set:
1. His Girl Friday is simply astonishing in both picture and sound as both the original nitrate picture and sound negatives still exist and were used for the restoration. The film looks so sharp and detailed that it borders on surreal.
2. Starman for its wonderful color grading and also the use of the OCN for the first time on home video (very fine grain structure)
3. Punch-Drunk Love for a brilliant restoration and grade from an interpositive as requested by PTA, yet when watching, it feels like they used the negative. The difference to the Criterion is significant even though the same element was used. Bonus point for a fantastic Atmos presentation. Jon Brion’s score and the sound mix sounds absolutely amazing and is a definite step-up from a comparatively timid 5.1.

therewillbeblus

#2141 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:48 pm

That's really great to hear - I may actually pick this one up, though still holding out hope that they eventually realize they're losing $ and at least license 4K rights of Anatomy of a Murder and Punch-Drunk Love etc. to Criterion who can just do the legwork themselves to punch out a release. UHD as a format has been very frustrating, but this is the most obnoxious company manipulation of the format's hold on the market

nicolas

#2142 Post by nicolas » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:55 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:That's really great to hear - I may actually pick this one up, though still holding out hope that they eventually realize they're losing $ and at least license 4K rights of Anatomy of a Murder and Punch-Drunk Love etc. to Criterion who can just do the legwork themselves to punch out a release. UHD as a format has been very frustrating, but this is the most obnoxious company manipulation of the format's hold on the market
Both feel like long shots for Criterion even after The Last Picture Show as they don’t really have something to pair them with. The Sony UHDs even carry over Criterion’s extras as Sony apparently claims copyright for all the third-party content made about the films they own.

Finch

#2143 Post by Finch » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:48 pm

Kyle15 uploaded screenshots of the Criterion vs Studio Canal 4ks of The Others

It seems to be a tie for the encode but I'd call the Studio Canal the superior import for the inclusion of the original 5.1 which everyone seems to like much better than the Atmos. But the Criterion also has an exclusive audio commentary (and much better artwork by Greg Ruth) so it'll come down to your personal preferences.

Finch

#2144 Post by Finch » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:33 am

The Roaring Twenties (Criterion) (Chris's review)

nicolas

#2145 Post by nicolas » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:14 am

Finch wrote:The Roaring Twenties (Criterion) (Chris's review)
Great news about The Roaring Twenties. Finch, I noticed you forgot to add the other three of the Columbia Classics Vol 4 films to the reference list: Sleepless in Seattle, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner and Kramer vs. Kramer. I didn’t write anything particular about these as they’re fantastic and reference on their own but the three others deserved a special mention.

Finch

#2146 Post by Finch » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:21 pm

Now added to OP, thanks!

nicolas

#2147 Post by nicolas » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:58 am

Bong’s Memories of Murder is now available in a 4K UHD Version in Korea and has English subtitles. Also a 7.1 audio mix. Price is surprisingly cheap for these ultra limited, numbered collector’s sets. https://yukipalo.com/product/memories-o ... slip/7308/

ryannichols7

#2148 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:26 am

after I made this terribly wrong post months ago:
ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:05 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:21 am
senseabove wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:05 am
The only reason I have a shred of belief that isn’t a mistake is that the Insider posted on the other forum after someone mentioned it and didn’t kibosh it. Otherwise, how the hell The Long Goodbye (with 2x the IMDb ratings and 4x the LB views) is a preposterous suggestion for 4k yet Scarlet Street isn’t I’ll never understand.
The Long Goodbye, ditto McCabe and Mrs. Miller I think would be a disaster for UHD based on their very unusual visual technique. if Vilmos Zsigmond was still with us, then absolutely I think it could be done with his approval. but I don't see The Long Goodbye being a success, given how the more recent KLSC completely slaughtered the intended look of the film. but someone who is a little more tech savvy may have a better answer

I say all of this as a massive, massive fan of The Long Goodbye who would buy any edition of it loaded to the gills. the "flashing'" technique was totally nailed by Criterion with their McCabe disc, honestly one of their best achievements. I don't think we can trust Kino to pull that off unfortunately
I stand extremely corrected on these movies coming to UHD. really intrigued to see how much of an upgrade McCabe is going to present

I'd like to revisit it: with McCabe getting the praise it's getting, including from Chris, I am openly making the plea to anyone here who works for Arrow to get moving on a UHD for The Long Goodbye

Finch

#2149 Post by Finch » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:59 am

McCabe and Mrs Miller (Criterion) Chris's review

hearthesilence

#2150 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Just out of curiosity, for problematic UHD's, does anyone else find that their display on a 1080 screen could be more forgiving due to the downsample? It's probably a case-by-case basis, but I'm wondering if crunching them down could actually mitigate flaws in their encode?