America, America

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Frankinho007

America, America

#1 Post by Frankinho007 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:06 am

Kazan's America, America will be released on (real) DVD on February 8, 2011.
AMERICA, AMERICA

THE EPIC MUST-SEE FILM DIRECTED BY ELIA KAZAN ARRIVES ON DVD FEBRUARY 8 FROM WARNER HOME VIDEO

DVD Single Available for the First Time

Oscar® Winner for Gene Callahan’s Vivid Art Direction and Winner of Two Golden Globes®

Burbank, Calif., November 8, 2010 – One of Elia Kazan's most personal films arrives on DVD February 8 from Warner Home Video. Exploring his family’s cultural heritage and honoring the dreams that brought European immigrants pouring into America at the turn of the century, Elia Kazan’s America, America is a powerful and turbulent story of struggle through the journey to freedom, filled with passion, drama and personal strife. This is the first time the film will be available as a DVD single. Orders are due January 4 ($19.97 SRP).

Inspired by Elia Kazan's (A Streetcar Named Desire, East of Eden, Gentleman's Agreement, On the Waterfront, Splendor in the Grass,Panic in the Streets) best selling novel based on his uncle's life, America, America won an Academy Award® for “Best Art Direction - Set Decoration, Black-and-White” (1964) as well as two Golden Globes® for “Best Director” and “Most Promising Newcomer Male” (1964); the film was also selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

Recipient of the coveted Lifetime Achievement Oscar®, Elia Kazan is renowned as one of the most honored and influential directors in Broadway and Hollywood history – his films have won a total of 20 Academy Awards. In addition to winning an Oscar for Gene Callahan’s vivid art direction, America, America picked up three additional Academy Award nominations for “Best Director,” “Best Picture” and “Best Writing, Story and Screenplay” (1964).

MARKETING SUPPORT
Generating awareness for the highly anticipated release of America, America on DVD, the film was screened most recently on October 29 at the School for Visual Arts as part of the New York City Greek Film Festival. Previously it was also screened at The 48th New York Film Festival on September 27 along with Martin Scorsese's new tribute documentary "A Letter to Elia," which premiered on PBS October 4.

ABOUT THE FILM
“I am a Greek by blood, a Turk by birth and an American because my uncle made a journey.”

Elia Kazan’s own words begin the saga of young Stavros (Stathis Giallelis), who leaves his war-torn homeland behind to begin a new life. With his family’s meager fortune and his father’s blessing, Stavros encounters both allies and adversaries on a dramatic trek. He ultimately achieves his dream through sheer determination and will, thereby earning his nickname: America, America.

Saluting the masses who sailed toward Miss Liberty’s shining torch, Kazan (A Streetcar Named Desire) uses little-known talents here rather than stars. The results impress: Academy Award nominations (1963) for Best Picture, Director and Screenplay, an Oscar for Gene Callahan’s vivid Art Direction, Golden Globes to Kazan (Best Director) and Giallelis (Most Promising Newcomer) and nomination to the National Film Registry for permanent preservation. Both epic and intimate, it’s powerful moviemaking.

Director:
Elia Kazan (A Streetcar Named Desire, East of Eden, Gentleman's Agreement, On the Waterfront, Splendor in the Grass, Panic in the Streets)

Cast:
Stathis Giallelis (Winner of the Golden Globe® for “Most Promising Newcomer- Male”)
Frank Wolff
Elena Karam

DVD Features:
Commentary by historian Foster Hirsch

AMERICA, AMERICA
Street Date: February 8, 2011
Order Date: January 4, 2011
Catalog/UPC: 1000170025/883929158256
SRP: $19.97
Feature Run Time: 174 minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated
Language: English
Subtitles: English, French
Sound Quality: Mono - English

knives

Re: America, America

#2 Post by knives » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:26 pm

It was also announced for that giant boxset right? How many MIA Kazan's does that leave the box with? Any opinions on this one, I've pretty much vowed to pick up whatever Warner presses in the hope that they don't leave everything to the archive, but I find Kazan widely uneven.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:19 pm

A few of us discuss it in the Best Picture list thread. I liked it a great deal, but I'm probably getting the big Kazan set

myrnaloyisdope

#4 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:27 am

That's great news, I was hoping it would get released as a single disc. I saw a live screening last year and it was an overwhelming experience.