Sony Supreme Cinema Series

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dwk

Sony Supreme Cinema Series

#1 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:26 pm

Entertainment Weekly has the details on the new Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray, which is "the first of the Supreme Cinema Series, a new collection of “Clear Case” limited-edition discs from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment." (cover art is, of course, atrocious.) On the plus side, it has the old Criterion laserdisc commentary.

EddieLarkin

Re: Columbia Classics

#2 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:48 pm

It will also be a new 4K remaster, and will likely address a number of issues found on the previous Blu-ray (I believe the retention of the original subtitles is already confirmed, instead of the player generated ones the last disc had).

hearthesilence

#3 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:21 pm

God, I remember when that film came out. The impression I got was very mixed, at least among the critics. Oscar nominations were a solid indicator that people liked the production, and it did have a decent box office gross, but not exactly loved.

It's not a great film, but I'm tempted to say it's under appreciated. It's possibly the only Coppola film I'd revisit post-Apocalypse Now.

beamish13

#4 Post by beamish13 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Well, I'm anxious to see the new 4k extended remaster of The Cotton Club, which will hopefully include some very expensive musical numbers that were cut out at the last minute. Tucker is a genuinely great film, and at least you don't have to put it on mute and enjoy it like a silent film a la Dracula.

Cremildo

#5 Post by Cremildo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:47 pm

beamish13 wrote:Tucker is a genuinely great film, and at least you don't have to put it on mute and enjoy it like a silent film a la Dracula.
What nonsense.

knives

#6 Post by knives » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:49 pm

Actually that's a pretty common criticism of Dracula which does function in a pseudo silent grammar. If anything that seems like a complimentary take on the material and Tucker is a legit great film.

movielocke

#7 Post by movielocke » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:24 am

Tucker is extraordinary, we are agreed.

Dr Amicus

#8 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:40 am

knives wrote:Actually that's a pretty common criticism of Dracula which does function in a pseudo silent grammar. If anything that seems like a complimentary take on the material and Tucker is a legit great film.
I remember an end of year round up review programme on the BBC which had John Boorman and two or three others (one of whom might have been Freddie Francis) discussing their favourite films of the year - Boorman chose Dracula for that very reason.

FrauBlucher

#9 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:59 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:01 pm

dx23

Re: Sony Supreme Cinema Series

#11 Post by dx23 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:10 am

Isn't this the same gimmick as the "Superbit" editions that Sony released during the DVD era? Releases that barely had better image and sound but lacked in extras and were incredibly overpriced.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#12 Post by tenia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:08 am

In this case, we're talking about replacing early BDs by some sourced from brand new 4K restorations. The upgrade should be sizable.

eerik

#13 Post by eerik » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:31 am

dx23 wrote:Isn't this the same gimmick as the "Superbit" editions that Sony released during the DVD era? Releases that barely had better image and sound but lacked in extras and were incredibly overpriced.
No, "Mastered in 4K" was the equivalent of "Superbit". These "Supreme Cinema" releases have special features, booklets, deluxe packaging.