It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 am 

I meant for a film and director I have never seen before. I paid $150 for all of Svankmajer blus, but I adore his work and was more than happy to both help him film his last venture, and also get all of his films (bar Alice which I already own) on Blu ray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:16 pm 

dda1996a wrote:
I meant for a film and director I have never seen before. I paid $150 for all of Svankmajer blus, but I adore his work and was more than happy to both help him film his last venture, and also get all of his films (bar Alice which I already own) on Blu ray

Well, there's a very easy way to fix that problem:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norte-End-Hist ... of+history

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 am 

rockysds wrote:
dda1996a wrote:
I would love to chip in but I have never seen a Diaz fan and for one Blu that price is way to high

Wouldn't call this cheap or anything, but to be fair it is 3 blu-rays and priced comparably to Arrow's The Human Condition, for example, so it hardly seems like price gouging to me.

I was going to say. It's far away from the most egregious Kickstarter pricing. 13 euros per Blu-ray disc with circa three hours of content that will otherwise not be released. There's probably a decent chance you can sell these for a markup if they aren't being released elsewhere too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:34 am 

Just in case someone hasn't noticed it, the above-discussed Lav Diaz crowdfunder has three days left and is still several thousand Euros short, so now would be a good time to chip in and/or share it to any interested parties...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:08 am 

No shipping of the bonuses to anywhere outside the EU is kind of a dealbreaker for me, if I'm going to throw down €39 for the blu-ray tier. If they opened it up to international donations (or at least the U.S.), I'm sure they'd clear the remaining amount needed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 pm 

(edit: removed unnecessary speculation) I mailed them to ask: the restriction is because shipping costs outside EU would turn out prohibitively high (easy to believe if you've ever dealt with French postage rates!) and would in all likelihood discourage overseas pledgers anyway - which is probably an accurate prediction, seeing as people are grumbling about the (perfectly reasonable) price even before the shipping costs...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:14 pm 

rockysds wrote:
dda1996a wrote:
I would love to chip in but I have never seen a Diaz fan and for one Blu that price is way to high

Wouldn't call this cheap or anything, but to be fair it is 3 blu-rays and priced comparably to Arrow's The Human Condition, for example, so it hardly seems like price gouging to me.

Arrow wasn't asking a comparable price for upscales of SD material, though. At the same time I suspect there are enough format snobs out there that it made sense for Dissidenz to offer a BD option, regardless of whether the material "demands" it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 pm 

repeat wrote:
I mailed them to ask: the restriction is because shipping costs outside EU would turn out prohibitively high

I've never understood this reasoning for restricting sales. Just charge roughly what it'd cost and let people decide if they're willing to pay for it.

At the polar opposite to this approach, in the latest update for Alex Cox's Tombstone Rashomon campaign, it was mentioned some UK residents were left with large customs charges for items they were sent & that he'd foot the bill for anyone in a similar situation. Maybe overly generous, but mighty kind of him. One reason I'm glad I don't live in the UK, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:58 pm 

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Arrow wasn't asking a comparable price for upscales of SD material, though. At the same time I suspect there are enough format snobs out there that it made sense for Dissidenz to offer a BD option, regardless of whether the material "demands" it.

Is this seriously still a discussion? Snobbery? 3 hours of film on a DVD will introduce new compression even if it's filmed with a miniDV camera. No material "demands" BD, but very little wont benefit from it. Even if it's filmed with old TV cameras as seen on the Alan Clarke box.

Yes I went for the BD edition of DEATH IN THE LAND OF ENCANTOS, and it's happily not far from making it now (€1500 to reaching the goal).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:16 pm 

Just to be clear: by format snobs I don't mean people who will take a BD over a DVD, I mean people who won't consider anything that isn't on BD, which is definitely a real phenomenon. Apologies if my inelegant wording seemed to implicate people who simply want the best available edition, which is hardly an irrational stance. BD will always be more transparent to the source (all other things being equal) and it's obviously completely up to an individual to decide when and where additional expense is justified, but I was mainly noting that this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison with what Arrow is doing. (An important addendum to that is that pricing isn't one-size-fits-all and Dissidenz is operating on a different economy of scale.) As an aside, if three hours (or three hours and 18 minutes, the longest of the three parts in the Dissidenz edition) can't be handled by a DVD-9 without introducing unacceptable artifacting, well, that's an argument for going to four discs—though I don't think it's necessary with material like this, in black and white and with relatively low motion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:18 pm 

Oedipax wrote:
No shipping of the bonuses to anywhere outside the EU is kind of a dealbreaker for me, if I'm going to throw down €39 for the blu-ray tier. If they opened it up to international donations (or at least the U.S.), I'm sure they'd clear the remaining amount needed.

... And when they say EU, they mean strictly EU. I tried to get it shipped to my parents in Switzerland and that wasn't an option.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:51 pm 

I would've bit on the Blu-ray if they shipped to U.S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:24 pm 

I went ahead and pledged since I do have a friend in Paris that can receive the delivery for me. Still kind of a nail-biter with over $800 left to go and less than 24 hours.

You can also pick up your copy in person at Dissidenz' offices in the 11th arrondissement if you plan on visiting Paris in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:54 am 

Luke M wrote:
For what it's worth, in their reply to my mail they said that if the funding succeeds, they "might" make it available on Amazon, and that it will in any case be available internationally "sooner or later" (presumably directly from them at least)... so if there's anyone outside the EU who really wants to see this happen, now might be a good time to throw in the $6.50 minimum pledge (the project is a few hundred Euros short and closes in 8 hours). If the thing then pops up on Amazon you'll probably end up saving a couple of dozen bucks in postage (and if it doesn't, that pledge sum probably won't be an insufferable addition to the overseas postage)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm 

New Kickstarter by Edward Lorusso: April Folly (1920).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 pm 

repeat wrote:
Just in case someone hasn't noticed it, the above-discussed Lav Diaz crowdfunder has three days left and is still several thousand Euros short, so now would be a good time to chip in and/or share it to any interested parties...

goal reached \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:36 pm 

kuzine wrote:
repeat wrote:

goal reached \:D/

I think technically we still have (as of this post) 83 minutes in which people could pull their pledges and send this back below the threshold, but hopefully that won't be the case!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:28 pm 

repeat wrote:
Luke M wrote:
For what it's worth, in their reply to my mail they said that if the funding succeeds, they "might" make it available on Amazon, and that it will in any case be available internationally "sooner or later" (presumably directly from them at least)... so if there's anyone outside the EU who really wants to see this happen, now might be a good time to throw in the $6.50 minimum pledge (the project is a few hundred Euros short and closes in 8 hours). If the thing then pops up on Amazon you'll probably end up saving a couple of dozen bucks in postage (and if it doesn't, that pledge sum probably won't be an insufferable addition to the overseas postage)

Good to know. Hope that ends up being the case.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:42 am 

Kier-La Janisse's small press Spectacular Optical have an upcoming Indiegogo campaign for their third book, Lost Girls: the Cinema of Jean Rollin, edited by Samm Deighan.
Spectacular Optical wrote:
Curated and edited by Samm Deighan (DIABOLIQUE), contributors to LOST GIRLS include some of the most important critical voices to emerge over the last decade of genre journalism: Alexandra Heller-Nicholas (SENSES OF CINEMA), Kat Ellinger (DIABOLIQUE), Virginie Selavy (ELECTRIC SHEEP), Alison Nastasi (SATANIC PANIC: POP-CULTURAL PARANOIA IN THE 1980s), Marcelline Block (ART DECADES), Rebecca Booth (DIABOLIQUE), Michelle Alexander (CINEMADROME), Lisa Cunningham (THE LAUGHING DEAD: THE HORROR-COMEDY FILM FROM BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN TO ZOMBIELAND), Heather Drain (DANGEROUS MINDS), Erin Miskell (THAT’S NOT CURRENT), Gianna D’Emilio (DIABOLIQUE)—and more to be confirmed.

More details, including cover art, full table of contents, and information about the book’s forthcoming crowdfunding campaign will be announced in April 2017.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:12 pm 

TURA! The Tura Satana Documentary

Quote:
“TURA!” is the true life story of cult movie icon & burlesque dancer TURA SATANA, chopped straight from the pages of her handwritten memoir. Best known as the star of Russ Meyer’s classic film Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, Tura stunned 1960’s movie audiences as the sexy, dominant, fast-driving, karate-wielding lesbian gang leader Varla. Her groundbreaking look, attitude, and performance were all years ahead of their time and continue to influence everyone from Quentin Tarantino and Rob Zombie to John Waters and Dita Von Teese.

Still, Tura's screen life was nothing compared to her real life. As a child, Tura was imprisoned at Japanese American WWII internment camp Manzanar. As a pre-teen, she was the victim of a brutal, racially-motivated gang rape. But instead of letting those early tragedies destroy her, Tura flipped it around, reinventing herself into a world famous burlesque dancer, Asian American cinema hero, and most importantly, the living definition of female self-empowerment.

Featuring incredible new interviews with John Waters, Dita Von Teese & more, and narrated by Margaret Cho, TURA! will be a fascinating, thrilling white-knuckle ride through the life and career of one of the most infamous “bad girls” in cinema history. TURA! also serves to finally place Tura Satana alongside Bruce Lee in the pantheon of the most influential Asian American performers the world has ever known.

The production of this film was Tura Satana’s deathbed wish. Help her, and us, make it a reality. TURA! -- Just do it!

(This film is the AUTHORIZED DOCUMENTARY Tura Satana personally initiated prior to her death, being produced by her estate and closest friends).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 pm 

Cult Epics Hardcover Book (including a few signed releases and exclusive Death Laid an Egg blu-ray)...

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:09 pm 

As mentioned in the Fulci thread, FAB Press have gone live with their Indiegogo campaign for their deluxe reissue of Stephen Thrower's Beyond Terror: The Films of Lucio Fulci.

It's not cheap but definitely appears to be worth every penny, and there's not even any risk involved given it's already raised 499% of its goal in 24hrs.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 pm 

I'm glad that it has made its goal! I'm not sure I can justify backing the project myself as I already have the original hardcover edition of the book (and I don't know if in this internet era that the book could recapture the thrill of reading about films that seem unlikely to ever be available, and never unedited, as it was reading about them back in 1999!) but if you don't and have any interest in Fulci's films at all, this seems a great update and the book is well worth buying for the in depth synopses and analysis of each film.

While the horror films obviously get the major focus, the book also goes 'Beyond' the terror films and has chapters on things like his early sex comedies, the White Fang films with Franco Nero, the fantasy film Conquest and the thriller Contraband, with the amusing sense that Fulci is often just as callously brutal in ostensibly non-horrific films as he is in the horror ones!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:26 am 

Having passed several stretch goals on the Beyond Terror indiegogo all backers now get as a bonus: an illustrated DVD booklet by Stephen Thrower, a set of four quad poster reproduction postcards & a copper finish enamel Eibon badge. Probably out of reach, but most interesting of the lot; if they manage to make it to £80,000, Stephen Thrower'll record an audio commentary for the DVD. Only 9 days to go.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:12 am 

I can definitely confirm now that the Kickstarter for When Knighthood Was In Flower has been completed, as I've just received my copy of the dual format DVD/Blu-ray through the post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next