It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:21 am 

SSF wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote:
Did anyone else who donated to the Svankmajer Kickstarter get a poster yet? I got an email from them a few weeks ago saying it was heading out (I picked up one of the signed Alice posters) but nothing has arrived yet.
I also contributed, and received the email, but I haven't gotten my (Faust) poster yet.
I'm in the same boat and I even responded to the email with my phone number, like they asked, and another question. I still don't have a response; I think I'll try emailing once more later today.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:37 pm 

theflirtydozen wrote:
SSF wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote:
Did anyone else who donated to the Svankmajer Kickstarter get a poster yet? I got an email from them a few weeks ago saying it was heading out (I picked up one of the signed Alice posters) but nothing has arrived yet.
I also contributed, and received the email, but I haven't gotten my (Faust) poster yet.
I'm in the same boat and I even responded to the email with my phone number, like they asked, and another question. I still don't have a response; I think I'll try emailing once more later today.

Received today.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:30 pm 

Same here, though mine got a bit rumpled in the middle, because the tube dented. Hopefully it will smooth out in a frame.

I got nervous when I got this- they confirmed this was an original and not a reproduction, right? None of the tricks I know for authenticating work for it, since they're all specific to US posters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:34 pm 

Nucleus Films Euro Cult Cinema Restoration Project

Quote:
Help us to restore LADY FRANKENSTEIN and DEATH LAID AN EGG in 2K for Blu-ray release!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:53 am 

Death Laid an Egg!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:06 pm 

Received my Faust poster from the Svankmajer campaign. I've been trying to post a picture of it but I'm having some difficulty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:08 pm 

Filmarchiv Austria has started a campaign to save The City Without Jews (1924), one of the country's most important silent films made.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:47 pm 

The Nucleus Films Indiegogo campaign went live about 8hrs ago & has already raised 64% of its first £10,000 goal! For any interested, they've currently got a small amount of places left for both discs (should they make it to their 2nd goal) at an 'early bird' price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:57 pm 

Thanks for sharing Adam. Here's a direct link: https://igg.me/at/NucleusEuroCult

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:14 pm 

MarcM wrote:
Thanks for sharing Adam. Here's a direct link: https://igg.me/at/NucleusEuroCult

I'm tempted to pledge for this, but I know very little about the films. Anybody have any opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:42 pm 

I've seen Death Laid an Egg, but not Lady Frankenstein. On the strength of the one title, I think this is a deserving cause. The film is very interesting, very funny and strange. It's kind of a critique of "getting ahead" in society. The characters are all varied parodies of the "keeping up with the Joneses" archetypes. Jean-Louis Trintignant gives a very fine performance, and I found him unusually sympathetic––there seemed a little bit of a parallel between his character here and the Michel Piccoli character in Dillinger is Dead, as a figure who has been through the rat race and found it an empty pursuit––only he doesn't know how to escape from it. The film is offhandedly modish, but it uses its visuals in surprising and compelling ways. It's quite a different flavor of Giallo than...really any other Giallo I've seen. Calling it a Giallo might be a tad misleading even. I can't recall much gore, but the film is fairly suspenseful, and its plot hides a lot of layers of character motivations and ideas. I remember it having a pretty rambunctious score as well. Definitely worth being restored and being seen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:12 am 

Lady Frankenstein is a hoot. For the main it's a pretty standard '70s European Frankenstein film, a bit like a decent Jess Franco with higher production values.
But really this film is all about the great Rosalba Neri who elevates this from the deep well of interesting Euro Cult curios. Neri, along with Edwige Fenech and, perhaps, Barbara Bouchet are '70s explicit European cult cinema royalty and this is seen as one of her best screen roles.
I have the Spanish DVD and only recently watched it. I thought it was great fun and certainly worthy of a blu upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:30 am 

I actually contributed solely on my wanting to see Death Laid an Egg, as it's been pretty difficult to get a decent legal copy of this that's actually English friendly. Here's a link to the Giallo Ciao Ciao podcast episode on the film. While it's a wonderfully entertaining show, it's not exactly very acedemic in nature, so feihong's description might serve you just as well.
Also, Michael Mackenzie's review.

I've not seen Lady Frankenstein either, but I think you sold it for me Alphonse.
Mondo Digital review.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:47 pm 

I contributed for the Alan Jones and Kim Newman commentaries! :P

But also, whilst I've never seen Death Laid An Egg I'm a big fan of director Giulio Questi's film made just previous to this, Django, Kill!, and would like to finally get a chance to see the other well known film by the director (Alex Cox in that introduction briefly mentions Death Laid An Egg under one of its alternate titles, A Curious Way To Love).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:42 am 

Nucleus hit their £20,000 goal, so Death Laid an Egg is now secured! Another 5k to go for the Newman & Jones extras. They've also added a top-up perk for those who have already backed the project: four of their recent releases (Craze, Give Us Tomorrow, Playgirls and the Vampire and Worst Fears, all DVDs) for 30 quid (+ shipping I think).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:15 pm 

The next project by Edward Lorusso is to produce a DVD-R of another Marion Davies film from 1922, Beauty's Worth.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:33 pm 

An exciting announcement regarding Death Laid An Egg:
Quote:
DEATH LAID AN EGG - UPDATE!

We've just received confirmation that the 35mm archive print we located contains approximately 15 minutes of previously unseen footage! We're sure you'll all be as happy about this as we are.

However, the print isn't in great shape, so we will need to have it cleaned and scanned, and we will insert the additional scenes from the print into our newly created master, which is currently being scanned from the negatives. This will ensure you get to see the closest thing to Questi's original director's cut.

If you haven't already pledged, you can still order via our Indiegogo campaign.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:55 pm 

kidc85 wrote:
88 Films (UK) have a project aiming to raise £10k to restore D'Amato's ABSURD. You need to pledge £45 to get a blu-ray of it, but their gimmick is for every additional £10k they raise they will restore another film: MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY, AENIGMA and BEYOND THE DARKNESS, and you will receive those blu-rays as well.

It's a pretty ingenious campaign: they've already passed the £10k funding goal for ABSURD, so if they do manage to raise the full £40k then bully for them, and if they don't they've just charged a bunch of people £45 for a blu-ray. Win-win.

Just a quick heads up that I received a parcel today of all four of the 'Indiego-go'ed' discs (Absurd, Aenigma, Beyond The Darkness and Massacre In Dinosaur Valley), plus the T-shirt I had pledged for as well as a double-sided poster for Absurd/Rosso Sangue that I didn't remember being in the pledge, but which is much appreciated! So these discs are definitely on their way out to the backers now.

(I'd also pledged for the first fifteen titles of the Italian Collection series, which arrived a number of months ago, and the first four titles in the 88 Asia line, which came a couple of months before Christmas. So I think all that is left outstanding from this project would be the new version of Anthropophagous that was mentioned after the funds got past a certain point)

Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:44 pm 

I'm curious, have any US contributors to the 88 Films campaign received their movies yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:50 pm 

Professor Wagstaff wrote:
I'm curious, have any US contributors to the 88 Films campaign received their movies yet?

Yes. I received mine about a week ago.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:34 am 

Kickstarter to release Lav Diaz' Death in the Land of Encantos on dvd and blu-ray.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 am 

rockysds wrote:
Kickstarter to release Lav Diaz' Death in the Land of Encantos on dvd and blu-ray.
Worth noting that this only ships inside the EU for others outside who got their hopes up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:45 am 

Where is my Satantango Blu ray kickstarter. I would love to chip in but I have never seen a Diaz fan and for one Blu that price is way to high

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:24 pm 

A fundraiser for an animated musical short Breezin' Along With The Brooklyn Breeze by a wonderfully talented animator Alex Budovsky (of "Bathtime in Clerkenwell" fame) is underway. It is at 91% now, with 13 more hours to go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 am 

dda1996a wrote:
I would love to chip in but I have never seen a Diaz fan and for one Blu that price is way to high

Wouldn't call this cheap or anything, but to be fair it is 3 blu-rays and priced comparably to Arrow's The Human Condition, for example, so it hardly seems like price gouging to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next