Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.

colinr0380

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#178 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 pm

colinr0380 in January wrote:
kidc85 wrote:88 Films (UK) have a project aiming to raise £10k to restore D'Amato's ABSURD. You need to pledge £45 to get a blu-ray of it, but their gimmick is for every additional £10k they raise they will restore another film: MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY, AENIGMA and BEYOND THE DARKNESS, and you will receive those blu-rays as well.

It's a pretty ingenious campaign: they've already passed the £10k funding goal for ABSURD, so if they do manage to raise the full £40k then bully for them, and if they don't they've just charged a bunch of people £45 for a blu-ray. Win-win.
Just a quick heads up that I received a parcel today of all four of the 'Indiego-go'ed' discs (Absurd, Aenigma, Beyond The Darkness and Massacre In Dinosaur Valley), plus the T-shirt I had pledged for as well as a double-sided poster for Absurd/Rosso Sangue that I didn't remember being in the pledge, but which is much appreciated! So these discs are definitely on their way out to the backers now.

(I'd also pledged for the first fifteen titles of the Italian Collection series, which arrived a number of months ago, and the first four titles in the 88 Asia line, which came a couple of months before Christmas. So I think all that is left outstanding from this project would be the new version of Anthropophagous that was mentioned after the funds got past a certain point)
Out of nowhere (apologies in advance domino), and after saying that it likely would not happen, apparently 88 Films have remastered Anthropophagous, and are sending copies out to backers!

rockysds

#179 Post by rockysds » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Factory 25 is kickstarting a restoration and release of Alex Rockwell's In the Soup.

perkizitore

#180 Post by perkizitore » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 am

Adrian Martin has launched his website and an associated Patreon campaign, please support him if you can!

colinr0380

#181 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:49 pm

The latest Kickstarter project by Edward Lorusso (which has already reached its goal as of this point) is to provide a DVD-R for Buried Treasure from 1921, another Marion Davies starring film, though this one is incomplete and missing its last reel which is going to be synopsised.

EDIT: And there has been a stretch goal, that has already been met, to add the fragments of surviving footage from the middle of 1919 film The Belle of New York to the disc:
Edward Lorusso wrote:Marion Davies 1919 film The Belle of New York exists in fragmentary form: only reels 3 and 4 out of the original 5 reels exist. I'm not even sure these reels are complete, but they offer several very nice sequences of Davies as a Salvation Army girl as well as two brief nightclub scenes that are rumored to have been directed by Flo Ziegfeld.

The rumor makes sense because the scenes were filmed atop his famous Amsterdam Theater where he staged his "Midnight Frolic" shows. Davies had appeared in Ziegfeld's 1916 edition of his "Follies" which also boasted W.C. Fields and Fanny Brice.

Although the nightclub sequences do not include Davies, they are a gloriously giddy glimpse into the past. The surviving footage also features forgotten leading man, Raymond Bloomer, as Davies' drunken love interest.

Anyway, I've re-created all the credits and intertitles and have composed a simple music track for this shred of film history, which runs about 20 minutes.

neilist

#182 Post by neilist » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 am

Dario Argento's 'Suspiria' on 4K UHD & Blu-Ray in Steelbook packaging (950 copies only). It's only been live a couple of hours and they're already 34% funded.

No region clarification as far as I can see, but CultFilms is UK based.

Ribs

#183 Post by Ribs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:26 am

UHD does not have region coding.

dda1996a

#184 Post by dda1996a » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:33 am

How good are Cult Films' Italian Blu rays that are being offered?

Ashirg

#185 Post by Ashirg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:57 pm

zedz

#186 Post by zedz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Songwriter Kishi Bashi is making a film (and composing songs) about the incarceration of Japanese Americans during WWII. No idea how this will turn out, but it sounds like an interesting project, and Ishibashi is a great songwriter / musician.

More info here.

swo17

#187 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:52 pm

It looks like you can once again place an order for the 5-film Jan Svankmajer BD collection (now $170 + shipping), until the campaign closes on February 19th. It also looks like the set's release has been moved up from December to September.

MichaelB

#188 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:22 am

Nobody who knows me even vaguely will be surprised to hear that I signed up to this Indiegogo campaign within minutes of it going live.

Rather scarily, I've been a friend and occasional colleague of the author for nearly 29 years, so I've known for ages that she was writing what should be the definitive history of London's legendary Scala cinema (which she programmed from 1988-91), and I would have bought the book on day one even if it had consisted purely of text. But provided they hit their target they're attempting something far more ambitious that includes full reproductions of every single one of the cinema's legendary programmes, the vast majority of which I'd have seen at the time, so for me the nostalgia factor is off the scale.

I dread to think how big and heavy the end result will be (the last FAB Press crowdfunder I contributed to was for Stephen Thrower's Beyond Terror: The Films of Lucio Fulci, which is one of the largest books I own), but it should be more than justified by the content. And anyone who invested in that project will know that it was an absolutely textbook example of how to do this sort of thing properly, with regular, detailed updates that never once became overbearing or just full of empty filler, and an end product that more than justified the investment.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#189 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:26 pm

MichaelB wrote: Rather scarily, I've been a friend and occasional colleague of the author for nearly 29 years, so I've known for ages that she was writing what should be the definitive history of London's legendary Scala cinema (which she programmed from 1988-91), and I would have bought the book on day one even if it had consisted purely of text. But provided they hit their target they're attempting something far more ambitious that includes full reproductions of every single one of the cinema's legendary programmes, the vast majority of which I'd have seen at the time, so for me the nostalgia factor is off the scale.
The Scala looms big in my ancient history too. I started Film School in Riding House street in 1981 and the Scala then in nearby Tottenham street was my second home before it re-located to Kings X. I may also have the dubious distinction of having played with my band 'The Big Combo' in both venues.
I will be available for signing sessions after publication

MichaelB

#190 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 pm

...and to nobody’s surprise, the Scala book is happening - but the crowdfunder is still open for another 25 days or so.

soundchaser

#191 Post by soundchaser » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Title designer Dan Perri is crowdfunding a book about his work on Indiegogo.

neilist

#192 Post by neilist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Alejandro Jodorowsky is crowdfunding towards his latest film* 'Psychomagic - An Art That Heals'. It's currently 61% towards completion, with 39 days to go (ends April 22).

*'With the film Psychomagic, an art that heals, Alejandro wants to go further than ever before, transcending fiction by filming reality, but a heightened reality, magical and healing. There will not be any actors, only real people that have expressed their suffering and their will to heal from it.'

dda1996a

#194 Post by dda1996a » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:12 am

This is a rather silly question, but do 32 pages written in longand translate into a much longer typed book?

Roger Ryan

#195 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:29 am

dda1996a wrote:This is a rather silly question, but do 32 pages written in longand translate into a much longer typed book?
I would say the opposite; unless the text is significantly oversized, a type-set page will usually be more compact than the same material written out in longhand. From the description for the crowd-funding campaign, it sounds like the book will be expanded with additional analysis, illustrations and photos.

dda1996a

#196 Post by dda1996a » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:28 am

That's what I assumed but it said his autobiography included a lot of material that seems way to large to fit into 32 pages. Anyway I might get this, sounds interesting.

Gregory

#197 Post by Gregory » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 pm

I was not a backer of Kino's First Women Filmmakers project, but they posted an update on 3/7. Is anyone on the forum who is a backer able to pass along any relevant info in that update?

Askew

#198 Post by Askew » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Gregory wrote:I was not a backer of Kino's First Women Filmmakers project, but they posted an update on 3/7. Is anyone on the forum who is a backer able to pass along any relevant info in that update?
It says that most of the films have been scanned and are now in the process of dirt and scratch removal. The films are also currently being scored (exclusively by women composers). Apparently some of the films are now more complete than they were before the project started. Some of the films will be screening in New York in July and the bluray set is looking at a possible September/October release date, but nothing is confirmed. The set has gone from being a 5 disc set to a 6 disc set due to the amount of money raised and how much material they had in the archives.

kidc

#199 Post by kidc » Tue May 15, 2018 1:54 pm

dda1996a

#200 Post by dda1996a » Tue May 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Again? I would love to support him but he's asking far too much for these trilogies...