Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#576 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Which is an even worse film!

Costa

#577 Post by Costa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:27 pm

John Wayne is over-represented on bluray.
i would wish for Error Flynn.
Oh well...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#578 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Wayne is so well-represented because his films sell, period. These movies suck, but from a business standpoint, I get it

Costa

#579 Post by Costa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:A truly awful film. So, yeah, sounds about right
Do you imply that WAC releases generally awful films?
If yes, then there's still hope for Supergirl which is a personal favourite! :D

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#580 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:32 pm

The WA Blu releases are like 80% random garbage, 15% classics, 5% random good films. I'm surprised they haven't upgraded Supergirl yet, so who knows

captveg

#581 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:35 pm

They release what they can master within their budget and what they think has a consumer market.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#582 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:44 pm

C'mon dude, some of their left-field choices have no relation to the consumer market

captveg

#583 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Sure they do. It may be a more specific niche market, but each of their releases have a market they intend to exploit nonetheless.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#584 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Oh yeah, that well-known Lee Remick-James Garner fandom who was just dying for a Blu-ray of whatever that movie even was

matrixschmatrix

#585 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:58 pm

I mean to judge from Olive literally anything with John Wayne in it has a market, and I'm excited about Mask of the Phantasm

captveg

#586 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:06 pm

The Wheeler Dealers was releases as a DVD-R archive title in 2011. I imagine they have sales figures that suggested it was a viable title to upgrade to BD in context of the probable lower cost to master it for BD, since it was mastered for DVD so recently.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#587 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Everything belongs to some specific niche market.

Gregory

#588 Post by Gregory » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Picking another random example, there was no niche market to speak of that was calling out for a Blu-ray of The Deadly Trackers. This Blu-ray has racked up all of two reviews on Amazon, one of them negative. The Blu-ray.com and DVDTalk reviewers also pretty much loathed it, so what's the deal? How did Warner choose that one? If the term niche market can be stretched to apply to something as random and unpopular as that choice, then by that measure the same could be said of any film that's a candidate for a WAC Blu, which brings us right back to the question of how they decide which ones to release.
And why do they continue to almost completely shun their pre-WWII holdings? They've released what, one measly film from that era in the series, 42nd St.? It can't be that hard to come up with decent masters for all films from the earlier era, and there certainly is at least a modest market for a lot of select films from those holdings.
Last edited by Gregory on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captveg

#589 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:49 pm

They did The Deadly Trackers because it was previously doubled up on DVD with Man in the Wilderness, and they did that one because of The Revenant.

The older the film, the higher the cost to remaster. Market isn't the sole important factor - it's market strategy in context of their mastering budget.

It's no coincidence that their older black and white titles have decreased now that Criterion is releasing some of those. I know of several films from that era they've tabled for the specific reason that the mastering costs were beyond what they have in their budget.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#590 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:54 pm

captveg wrote:They did The Deadly Trackers because it was previously doubled up on DVD with Man in the Wilderness, and they did that one because of The Revenant.
Which does not address Gregory's point nor defend your claim that there is an audience clamoring for it

captveg

#591 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:56 pm

When did I say there was an audience "clamoring for it"?

Marketing involves more than just audience demand. It also means taking advantage of timing. The reasoning: If we can market Man in the Wilderness because of The Revenant, and last time we sold Man in the Wilderness we believe some consumers also discovered The Deadly Trackers because it came with it, then lets use that to also market The Deadly Trackers at the same time which won't cost us all that much to master anyway.

That doesn't mean they are correct, but it's not THAT hard to follow the logic of a marketing strategy.
Last edited by captveg on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#592 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 pm

You're the one claiming these left-field titles are in fact based on prior DVD sales, hence there is a base of consumers who want it

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#593 Post by Drucker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:01 pm

captveg wrote:It's no coincidence that their older black and white titles have decreased now that Criterion is releasing some of those. I know of several films from that era they've tabled for the specific reason that the mastering costs were beyond what they have in their budget.
Honest question: are you implying/certain that assuming elements are in comparable shape, a silent film like The Wind would cost more to remaster than a VistaVision/Widescreen/Color title? Surely that's not always the case.

captveg

#594 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:02 pm

We're also talking about titles where 300 sales is considered really good. So it's all relative.

captveg

#595 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Drucker wrote:
captveg wrote:It's no coincidence that their older black and white titles have decreased now that Criterion is releasing some of those. I know of several films from that era they've tabled for the specific reason that the mastering costs were beyond what they have in their budget.
Honest question: are you implying/certain that assuming elements are in comparable shape, a silent film like The Wind would cost more to remaster than a VistaVision/Widescreen/Color title? Surely that's not always the case.
No, I did not mean to imply that. Once it's scanned and a digital file it's mostly about the time/labor investment in digital cleanup, which varies title to title.

Silent films also have the question of music score. Last I heard the WA has no budget for new music, which has held up some silent film releases that can't reuse an existing score.

John Doe

#596 Post by John Doe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:The WA Blu releases are like 80% random garbage
That's a BS statement. You're clearly prone to exaggeration.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#597 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:02 pm

The second part may be true, but it doesn't make the first part accurate or my claim inaccurate

FrauBlucher

#598 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm going to assume that it's much like Criterion. There are titles that Criterion release because it is a favorite of a producer or one of the owners of the company. They know it will not be a big seller, but they release anyway. Warner Archive probably does the same. Favorites of those that run the Archive but not big sellers. People in those positions take liberties.

Big Ben

#599 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 pm

You know what would probably be a big seller? The Devils. But alas...

captveg

#600 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Big Ben wrote:You know what would probably be a big seller? The Devils. But alas...
I do keep reminding them. Alas, indeed.