Paramount and the Return of Pressed DVDs

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Arthur House

Paramount and the Return of Pressed DVDs

#1 Post by Arthur House » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:20 am

Not sure where to put this, but:

I was just browsing on Amazon and discovered through my recommendations that Paramount just issued three long MIA Cinema Center productions (The April Fools, Who Is Harry Kellerman...?, and The War Between Men and Women*) as DVD-Only editions @ $20 list yesterday. The listing indicates they are pressed, but the hell is going on here? Anybody have hands on copies yet?

*The latter pair debuted on VHS in 2000!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

#2 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:50 am

Wow good catch! I've been wanting to see Harry Kellerman forever

knives

#3 Post by knives » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:17 pm

They're pressed though barebones.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:21 pm

Pressed alone is worth celebrating (how far we've come in the the last four or so years, huh?)

Perkins Cobb

#5 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 am

Those three are actually coming from the CBS side, which is how they escaped Paramount's continued indifference/contempt toward home video.

Arthur House

#6 Post by Arthur House » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:40 pm

^^Good to know. It also probably explains why these didn't end up with Olive or Legend. Looking at the Cinema Center library, pretty much all of their most popular titles are out on disc now, but a few vague curiosities remain (for me: Something for Everyone and, er, The Christian Licorice Store).

I've ordered the Kellerman disc, and should have it tomorrow. I'll report back with details (mainly P.Q. I guess) when it's in hand. FWIW, Netflix is listing all three of these titles as 'Saves' with the disc art up on their site. Perhaps if enough people add them to their "Save' list, Netflix will pick them up (yeah right).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Paramount/CBS Resurrected

#8 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Movie-Brat

Re: Paramount/CBS Resurrected

#9 Post by Movie-Brat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:10 am

domino harvey wrote:Horror at 37,000 Feet
The cover's suggesting a supernatural thriller. It looks like it was made for a direct to video/made for Sci-Fi Channel movie.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Paramount and the Return of Pressed DVDs

#10 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Watched Who is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? after several years of idle curiosity borne from amusement at its garrulous title and from Barbara Harris getting an Oscar nom, and now having seen it I can pretty easily declare her the best part of this weird, very 70s Hollywood film. The threadbare plot of a self-loathing artist working through his history of women problems is beyond tired, but the film has enough oddball moments that work to make it worth a marginal recommendation: The title sequence is terrific and immediately takes a place at the "Best Opening Credits" table, there's a wonderfully surreal moment where Jack Warden (who gets to run the gamut on silly voices in this film) interrupts an analysis session to lip-synch to Ray Charles (!), and Barbara Harris is acting in a completely different film than everyone else but it works because she's in a better film.

The disc's picture quality is quite strong, and there's notably no Paramount logo on the on-disc contents themselves (though the packaging gets the classic Paramount plain grey scheme!). I also picked up the War Between Men and Women and will weigh in here on that tile whenever I get around to watching it. Caps for Harry Kellerman:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Paramount and the Return of Pressed DVDs

#11 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:17 pm

CBS has brought back the Stephen King miniseries originally released by Artisan onto pressed DVDs via "Spelling Entertainment." These include the Langoliers, the Stand, and the Golden Years.

EDIT: I see they did this last year. Oh well, maybe news to someone else like me!