Warner Catalog Titles on BD/UHD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
PfR73

Re: Warner Catalog Titles on Blu

#701 Post by PfR73 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:30 pm

The film underwent a 4K restoration, yet they give us lossy audio??? WTH Warner???

EddieLarkin

#702 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:46 pm

It's like they'll take whatever steps necessary to keep a disc to one layer. But as I understand it, it doesn't actually cost any more production wise to use a dual layer disc!

captveg

#703 Post by captveg » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:10 pm

A lossless audio track wouldn't use enough additional space to force going bigger than a BD25. More likely they felt the audible difference was not discernable between the two.

Truth be told, I'm more upset that the old commentary was dropped, as though having two commentaries on a disc has never been done before. Looks like I'll be keeping the DVD for that reason.

Also, in case anyone missed it, here's Moore's statement regarding the release he posted:

Flint. GM. Roger. Me. You. Tomorrow is the day!... a note from Michael Moore

Monday, October 6, 2014

Friends,

Tomorrow, Tuesday, is a big day for me. Warner Bros. is releasing to you, the public, the completely restored, newly-remastered 25th anniversary edition of my very first film, ROGER & ME. It's the first time this has been done for any movie of mine, a full 4K digital restoration from my original 16mm negative. The result is a mind-blowing version that now should live on for, well, for as long as the planet lets us stick around.

In addition to supervising this restoration, I've recorded an all new director's commentary track to go along with it. It's completely uncensored and straight from the gut. I do not talk about "how I lit" the little bunny rabbit. I do name names and candidly tell you about the unlikely history of a film that should never have gotten made.

There are three ways you can see this newly-mastered version of ROGER & ME:

1. Purchase the Blu-ray from a site like Amazon today.

2. Download it from iTunes (available tomorrow).

3. See it in a movie theater this fall. It played in NY and LA last week and will play other cities. Ask the local theater owner in your area when it is coming. Also, you or your group can arrange a special one-night screening in your town by contacting RogerMe@michaelmoore.com.

ROGER & ME is the movie, as many of you know, that began my career as a filmmaker. It is, shockingly, every bit as relevant today as it was when it came out in 1989. Though I didn't realize it at the time, it foretold the systematic elimination of the American middle class and, in its wake, the so-called American Dream -- the dream that promised if your hard work made your boss rich, you would be rewarded with a few simple comforts like your own home, a college education, affordable medical care, and a nice, long paid vacation.

ROGER & ME, through my telling of the story of GM and my hometown of Flint, warned that the wealthy had other plans for you in the 21st century -- the crux of which was "no more sharing of the pie." A few would still get to be rich, I predicted; the rest of the citizenry would fight over the remaining crumbs when not distracted by inflated fears of foreign threats or scary domestic events like gays marrying or a President who faked his papers at birth.

And what has happened since ROGER & ME? Well, Wall Street's wealth multiplied three times over -- while workers' wages remained stagnant or decreased, and benefits and pensions became nothing but fond memories of a bygone era.

Twenty-five years ago I saw the beginning of this, and instead of screaming from the mountain top, I made ROGER & ME. It (along with "Do the Right Thing") was the most acclaimed film of 1989. As one critic wrote, "It has ignited a modern-day documentary movement." It was the first nonfiction film shown in mainstream multiplexes and shopping mall cinemas -- 1,300 of them. This had never happened before with a documentary. ROGER & ME set the all-time box office record for a doc (a record that was later broken by "Bowling for Columbine" and then again by "Fahrenheit 9/11").

Two years ago, Lincoln Center wanted to have a special night honoring ROGER & ME. They discovered -- to their horror and mine -- that all the existing prints of my film had been ruined by time and the elements. That set me and Warner Bros. into motion and, after the Library of Congress designated ROGER & ME a "national treasure" last December (which placed it on the federally-mandated list of films that must be preserved), Warner Bros. spent tens of thousands of dollars not just to preserve my film, but also to bring it into the digital era. The results of their restoration are nothing short of stunning. I sincerely hope you get your own copy of it.

Thanks again for your support of my work over the years. I hope I can continue to live up to your faith in me and the movies I make.

All my best,

Michael Moore
@MMFlint
MichaelMoore.com

P.S. Any and all profits that may come my way from this 25th anniversary release will go to helping other filmmakers preserve and distribute their films -- especially those facing "extinction."

John Doe

#704 Post by John Doe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:14 pm

February 3:

About Schmidt
Lust for Life
Diner

captveg

#705 Post by captveg » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Love & Basketball on 2/3/15 as well

felipe

#706 Post by felipe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Lust for Life? That's a bit unexpected, isn't it?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#707 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:50 am

The Frank Darabont Collection, with the Majestic making its Blu-ray premiere, on February 24th

flyonthewall2983

#708 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Vanilla Sky has been pushed again. New date is February 3rd.

captveg

#709 Post by captveg » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:15 pm

LOL. Just what is it with this disc? It's gotta be something like Crowe's sign-off on the new bonus, right?

flyonthewall2983

#710 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:54 pm

He's also in post on his new film so it could be that that is keeping him from signing off on everything. This indicates he was interested in producing new special features and adding the original ending and a new commentary track as far back as a few years ago.

EddieLarkin

#711 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:42 am

American Gigolo - 2/24/2015

ivuernis

#712 Post by ivuernis » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:33 am

manicsounds wrote:Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection Blu-ray set (Amazon Exclusive)

Contains the 7 Warner owned movies plus Sony's Dr. Strangelove, plus 2 bonus discs, 1 with "new" content.
There are huge price differences on the various Amazon regional sites for this, the US and UK sets being grossly overpriced in comparison!
Amazon.com $180
Amazon.co.uk £100 (~$157)
Amazon.fr €70 (~$88)
Amazon.de €50 (~$62)

captveg

#713 Post by captveg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:49 pm

4/7/15

After the Sunset (2004)
The Corrupter (1999)
Detroit Rock City (1999)
Empire Records (1995)
Hooper (1978)
Sharky's Machine (1981)
Singles (1992)

matrixschmatrix

#714 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Ooh, a Burt Reynolds double feature. I wonder to what degree Archer is responsible?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#715 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I can't believe they aren't waiting one day so they can release Empire Records on Rex Manning Day!

flyonthewall2983

#716 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Amazon's date for Vanilla Sky is now in May. Not sure if that's official or just them hedging their bets.

captveg

#717 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:00 pm

First of the Sinatra 100th Anniversary titles announced (reportedly a few more on the way)

5/5/15

Anchors Aweigh (1945)
Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964)

captveg

#718 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:37 pm

On the Town (1949) is also officially announced for 5/5/15

There's also a Sinatra box set with the three new titles and the previously released Ocean's 11 (1960) and Guys and Dolls (1955).

Red Screamer

Warner Catalog Titles on Blu

#719 Post by Red Screamer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:20 pm

captveg wrote:On the Town (1949) is also officially announced for 5/5/15
Great news. For once some good comes from a Warners anniversary release

hearthesilence

#720 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Didn't realize it was his centennial - huge fan of On the Town and would definitely welcome Some Came Running, Guys and Dolls and The Man with the Golden Arm being added to that list.

PfR73

#721 Post by PfR73 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:12 pm

As captveg stated, Guys And Dolls is already out on Blu & is being included in the Sinatra box set.

dwk

#722 Post by dwk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:13 pm

5/5/15
Goodfellas 25th Anniversary Blu-ray (from a new "4k scan of the original camera negative, supervised by Martin Scorsese.")

FrauBlucher

#723 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:25 pm

I wonder if they'll carryover "Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Films"

EddieLarkin

#724 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:27 pm

So very rare for WB to re-release a big title like that an actually do a long needed new transfer. Can finally retire my decade old DVD.

dwk

#725 Post by dwk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Here is what the press release says regarding the Goodfellas special features
...2-Disc Blu-ray featuring a new documentary with interviews from Robert De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta and more, and a 36-page photo book exploring the films far-reaching influence. The book also includes a letter written by Martin Scorsese.

SPECIAL FEATURES will include all previously released special features along with:

· ALL-NEW Documentary includes interview with the Director, cast and some of your all-time favorite movie gangsters! Join some of Martin Scorseses greatest gangsters Robert De Niro, Leonardo DiCaprio, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Jack Nicholson and Joe Pesci to discover what its like to work for perhaps the greatest gangster director of them all.