Warner Catalog Titles on BD/UHD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
captveg

Re: Warner Catalog Titles on Blu

#551 Post by captveg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:40 pm

8/12/14

The Avengers (1998)
Rush Hour 2 (2001)

The Avengers is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, LOL

manicsounds

#552 Post by manicsounds » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Calvin

#553 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:02 am

According to Warner Archive (via Facebook), Akira Kurosawa's Dreams is "under consideration for Blu" by Warner Home Video.

FrauBlucher

#554 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:30 am

What exactly does WB legitimately mean by "under consideration for blu". Another words, I'll believe it when I see it.

Zot!

#555 Post by Zot! » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:31 am

Calvin wrote:According to Warner Archive (via Facebook), Akira Kurosawa's Dreams is "under consideration for Blu" by Warner Home Video.
That would be outstanding. I wish they had put more consideration into releasing the Avengers and decided otherwise.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#556 Post by Drucker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:35 am

FrauBlucher wrote:What exactly does WB legitimately mean by "under consideration for blu". Another words, I'll believe it when I see it.
I think you mean, "In other words?"

movielocke

#557 Post by movielocke » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:What exactly does WB legitimately mean by "under consideration for blu". Another words, I'll believe it when I see it.
it probably means they have finite financial resources they can allocate towards a slate of bluray releases and whats the tradeoff of committing resources to one title over another title.

Gregory

#558 Post by Gregory » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Zot! wrote:
Calvin wrote:According to Warner Archive (via Facebook), Akira Kurosawa's Dreams is "under consideration for Blu" by Warner Home Video.
That would be outstanding. I wish they had put more consideration into releasing the Avengers and decided otherwise.
Yeah, Warner has said they have no plans to let a director's cut of The Avengers see the light of day, so it's particularly insulting that they're releasing the same butchered cut that virtually no one liked, while so many more popular older films they could be releasing languish or take years to trickle out. (Not that I'd be interested in seeing the director's cut, personally, but a many others would, and Warner should try to have a bit more integrity in general.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#559 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Maybe the Avengers is getting released because some executive's twelve-year-old son walked past the movie poster hanging in some godforsaken hall of shame in Warners HQ and pressured his pop to release it! I mean, could there be any other explanation?

knives

#560 Post by knives » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 pm

It makes more money per year than Dreams?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#561 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Considering Dreams has been out of print for years, even one copy sold would merit it that distinction!

Werewolf by Night

#562 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:I mean, could there be any other explanation?
Maybe they just want to take advantage of the vast market of confused elderly people who want to buy The Avengers for their grandkids but won't know it's not THAT The Avengers.

warren oates

#563 Post by warren oates » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Dreams is just one of the many Warner titles crying out to be licensed to a company like Criterion, which they really should do if they are even remotely waffling about releasing it themselves.

captveg

#564 Post by captveg » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:19 pm

The Avengers probably just hit the right cycle time. They seem to be choosing titles from the early DVD era (1997-2004) that were new release at the time and have not been re-issued since then: The Avengers, Conspiracy Theory, Get Carter (2000), Torque, Rock Star, Rush Hour 2, The Man Who Knew Too Little, and Exit Wounds all fit that pattern.

felipe

#565 Post by felipe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:13 pm

I wonder: what about the Big Parade? Did it sell enough to make them release more silents? Or should we wait for those films to come out at the Archive?

captveg

#566 Post by captveg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:24 pm

8/12/14

Elvis: That's the Way It Is (1970)

Also, a re-packaging of the 40th Anniversary set of Woodstock (1970) with another bonus disc of concert footage.

L.A.

#567 Post by L.A. » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:50 pm

The Big Red One BD @ DVDBeaver

Lowry_Sam

#568 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:11 pm

domino harvey wrote:Considering Dreams has been out of print for years, even one copy sold would merit it that distinction!
...althought it has never really been unavailable, as it was relegated to the Warner Archives as soon as the manufactured discs had been sold off.

It's the one Warner's title (after The Devils) that I had hoped Criterion had successfully negotiated along with Badlands...

felipe

#569 Post by felipe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:10 am

Viva Las Vegas repackaged as a digibook: 08/12

Elvis must be a big seller for Warner. It's just odd that Fox's output has been so light.

Gregory

#571 Post by Gregory » Thu May 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Unfortunately the English audio track is the dubbed US version and not the original audio intended by the director. This dubbing affects the opening scene when Carter's employers are trying to convince him to stay in London, the men having been dubbed with badly-acted faux-Cockney accents which flatten the spontaneity of the scene and simplify the dialogue.
Good old Warner, always helping me buy fewer movies.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#572 Post by tenia » Thu May 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Wait, the Get Carter story is not over : in France, it seems all the remake discs actually contains the files of the 71 version. \:D/

captveg

#573 Post by captveg » Thu May 08, 2014 1:25 pm

tenia wrote:Wait, the Get Carter story is not over : in France, it seems all the remake discs actually contains the files of the 71 version. \:D/
Wow. Someone at a replication plant screwed up big in mixing up the disc image files there.

As for the dubbing section, no surprise that it's the same disc world wide. That's one advantage of having a single HD standard across the world and leaving a disc open region - no need to make region specific disc images. It's unfortunate that they pulled an audio file that had a dubbed section, but I'd wager the people who were in charge of doing so had no idea there was a variation.

peerpee
not perpee

#574 Post by peerpee » Wed May 14, 2014 9:06 pm

captveg wrote:I'd wager the people who were in charge of doing so had no idea there was a variation.
It's their job to get it right.

captveg

#575 Post by captveg » Thu May 15, 2014 5:02 am

peerpee wrote:
captveg wrote:I'd wager the people who were in charge of doing so had no idea there was a variation.
It's their job to get it right.
These are technicians, not film scholars. The expectation is that they compile the cataloged files onto a home video release, not become experts on every nuanced variation of a film they are being tasked to prep for release.

99.9999% of titles they'll pull elements/files for have a singular English audio track. Why would they expect there to be two versions for one title as opposed to another?

Maybe if that person was specifically aware of these alterations for this title as a fan, but not as a random title among hundreds being prepared for video/streaming/etc. distribution.

People outside the home video industry expect that those who work in it are all super enthusiasts and have minutia about every film and its quirks memorized. For most people it's a job and unless what is sitting in front of them is incorrect on its face they won't know it's different from what's intended. Hundreds of films have bad ADR dubbing as the only English audio track, so why would this one be different to a techguy?

Sometimes these quirkier things get caught because things align and the worker has more familiarity with it specifically, but that's more of a stroke of luck than anything that can be planned for.