Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
FrauBlucher

Re: Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

#376 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:04 am

I'm curious to see how Double Indemnity and Touch of Evil stack up against the Masters of Cinema releases.

Minkin

#377 Post by Minkin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:20 am

The most serious question:

Have they sacked the team who did those previous "Grain managed" titles? I'm excited for some of these (not the MoC overlaps), but nobody should buy any of these without first hearing a review or two lest they want to get burned later.

captveg

#378 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:22 pm

From what I understand they no longer use those teams/methods. However that doesn't mean some of these masters were not prepped by them from a few years ago (thoughts know Double Indemnity and Touch of Evil are new restorations like Dracula, All Quiet, Jaws, etc.)

chatterjees

#379 Post by chatterjees » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 pm

John Doe wrote:April:

Double Indemnity
Touch of Evil
Joe Kidd
King Kong Escapes
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Rooster Cogburn
Two Mules For Sister Sara
The War Wagon
It's not a April Fools joke, right? If that's not the case, then its a dream month. I already have the MoC releases. No one can top those two releases. I will get the rest for sure. They are my guilty pleasures. \:D/
After The War Wagon, I can now start dreaming about a BD of In Harm's Way (1965). Its a paramount title. So, either them or you know who has to start working on it.

Ashirg

#380 Post by Ashirg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Double Indemnity

Includes Lobby Cards & Poster Reproductions Plus A Rare Alternate Ending Still
1 Hour 48 Minutes
VIDEO RATING: Not Rated
DISC TYPE: BD-50 (Single Sided)
LAYERS: Single

AUDIO: English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
Spanish DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Mono
SUBTITLES: English SDH
French
Spanish
BLACK & WHITE

BONUS MATERIALS :

Digital Copy
• Includes UltraViolet
• Introduction by Robert Osborne
• Shadows of Suspense
• Double Indemnity (1973) TV Movie
• Theatrical Trailer
• Commentary with Film Historian Richard Schickel
• Commentary with Film Historian/Screenwriter Lem Dobbs and Film Historian Nick Redman
Touch of Evil

Includes Orson Welles’ Legendary 58-Page Memo
RUN TIME: 1 Hour 51 Minutes
VIDEO RATING: PG-13
DISC TYPE: BD-50 (Single Sided)
LAYERS: Single

French
Spanish
BLACK & WHITE
BONUS MATERIALS : • Digital Copy of Touch of Evil
• Includes UltraViolet
• Bringing Evil to Life
• Evil Lost and Found
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reconstructed Version Commentary with Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, and Reconstruction Producer Rick Schmidlin
• Reconstructed Version Commentary with Reconstruction Producer Rick Schmidlin

Disc 1 (Side A) (Feature 2)

RUN TIME: 1 Hour 36 Minutes

Spanish
French
BLACK & WHITE
BONUS MATERIALS : • Theatrical Version Commentary with Writer/Filmmaker F.X. Feeney

Disc 1 (Side A) (Feature 3)

RUN TIME: 1 Hour 49 Minutes

Spanish
French
BLACK & WHITE
BONUS MATERIALS : • Preview Version Commentary with Orson Welles Historians Jonathan Rosenbaum and James Naremore

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#381 Post by Drucker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:18 pm

Safe to assume they will only include the film in the 1.85 aspect ratio, I suppose. I'm interested to see how the restoration turns out, but am assuming the MOC disc will remain essential.

captveg

#382 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Eh, the open matte version doesn't interest me. By 1958 very few theaters would have shown it that way in the US.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#383 Post by swo17 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm not sure if it's consensus or just me, but watching it in multiple ratios on the MoC release convinced me that it was intended to be seen in 1.85:1 (though there are certain scenes that, perhaps coincidentally, look better in Academy). That being said, I love having the option to see it both ways.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#384 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm

What's with the specification "Disc 1 (Side A)"? Is it implying that these will be flipper discs, or is that standard for Universal when talking about their blu-rays?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#385 Post by Drucker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 pm

I don't mean to poo-poo the Universal release of these films. It'll be nice gifts for a few family members and they certainly deserve a domestic US release. But seeing it in Academy (which I prefer) and the excellent booklet probably means I won't be double-dipping.

John Doe

#386 Post by John Doe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:58 pm

chatterjees wrote:
John Doe wrote:April:

Double Indemnity
Touch of Evil
Joe Kidd
King Kong Escapes
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Rooster Cogburn
Two Mules For Sister Sara
The War Wagon
It's not a April Fools joke, right?
Nope :D All titles are now up for pre-order over at Amazon.

captveg

#387 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:05 pm

We at least know the trades considered Touch of Evil 1.85:1 (per Bob Furmanek's research):

tojoed

#388 Post by tojoed » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Give it a rest. We've done all this a million times.

captveg

#389 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:24 pm

tojoed wrote:Give it a rest. We've done all this a million times.
I'm not arguing against anyone preferring the open matte version and choosing the (wonderful) MoC package because of it. I'm just sharing facts about the US release and why we're likely to get only 1.85:1 from Universal here.

If this offends you I can do nothing for you about that.

Personally, I'm far more interested in how the new restoration efforts will inform the presentation.

captveg

#390 Post by captveg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:42 pm

david hare wrote:He didn't hear you.
?

tojoed

#391 Post by tojoed » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:53 am

He doesn't hear anything, David. That's because he must be one of the kramerload of HTF members who joined specifically to tell us that "Everything after 1953 was widescreen".

captveg

#392 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:07 am

Unbelievable. You know, I didn't bring up the aspect ratio conversation. I was simply addressing what Universal is likely to do with this release in the context of it's 1958 US theatrical release. I didn't criticize the open matte version or those who prefer it.

I didn't have any part of that prior conversation and I'm sorry that people are so damn sensitive about it that merely breathing in close proximity to it apparently causes heart murmurs and nausea. Well, screw that, that's not my problem.

As to my reasons for joining this forum, it had zero to do with any zealous attempts towards aspect ratio enforcement. I joined because I enjoy discussing certain movies and their home video releases in a multitude of contexts. Part of that context is bound to include aspect ratio presentation from time to time. If it's not a conversation you wish to have, then don't participate and it will end in its own due course, no?

If someone doesn't want to read my posts there's the "Foes" option in the user settings. You're welcome to it.

captveg

#393 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:18 am

jindianajonz wrote:What's with the specification "Disc 1 (Side A)"? Is it implying that these will be flipper discs, or is that standard for Universal when talking about their blu-rays?
It's standard. They did have a few BD/DVD flippers about 4-5 years back, so the terminology remains from that time on their press releases. Unless a "Side B" is mentioned the disc is one-sided like most BD releases.

tojoed

#394 Post by tojoed » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:22 am

Veg, I may not be the sanest person in the world, but I'm not childish enough to have a list of "Foes".

You're being disingenuous though. If you weren't trying to have an aspect ratio debate, why did you post Furmanek's industry cut-out? That's why I asked you to give it a rest, because, as I said, it's all been argued about years ago.

The "kramerload of HTF members" was just a small attempt at a joke, and I'm sorry if it offended you.

captveg

#395 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:33 am

I wasn't trying to have a debate, and was not being disingenuous. I posted it for the exact reason I stated: to give further context into why Universal's upcoming release is likely to be 1.85:1, as Drucker suggested it was "safe to assume." I was essentially saying "even more safe to assume because of the trade info."

I wasn't offended by the joke; I was flustered by the idea that I was purposely trying to instigate an aspect ratio war of some kind when I was being careful to phrase my statements as objectively as possible. I guess if I had been privy to that prior debate I would have understood the minefield I had wandered into.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#396 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:11 am

I can see why aspect ratio discussion is frowned upon- we apparently get into fights over not getting into fights about them! :P
captveg wrote:It's standard. They did have a few BD/DVD flippers about 4-5 years back, so the terminology remains from that time on their press releases. Unless a "Side B" is mentioned the disc is one-sided like most BD releases.
Thank you, Capt!

captveg

#397 Post by captveg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Some more April releases:

Mallrats (1995) - 4/15/14
Reality Bites (1994) - 4/15/14

EddieLarkin

#398 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:56 am

The Digital Bits confirm the upcoming Touch of Evil disc will include 1.85:1 versions only.

onedimension

#399 Post by onedimension » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:57 pm

ToE really needs an On the Waterfront caliber Criterion for the Region A bound.. Still glad to get a blu, though..

FrauBlucher

#400 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 am