Streaming Devices

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
jonosborne

Re: Roku, Apple TV, and Other Streaming Devices

#51 Post by jonosborne » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Has anyone had any experience streaming your films to a TV through DLNA? I recently started doing that with 1080P video and hi-res audio and it works great! Dolby Tru HD has some issues with audio dropouts though.

kekid

Re: Filmstruck

#52 Post by kekid » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:05 pm

A small digression, but can we see Amazon Prime films with AppleTV 4? I invested in AppleTV to access Filmstruck, but cannot figure out how to see Amazon films using it. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

chiendent

#53 Post by chiendent » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:15 pm

I believe you can use Airplay with the iOS Amazon app (assuming you own a different Apple device).

DeprongMori

#54 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:20 pm

You can't stream Amazon Prime films natively on Apple TV because the mutual hostility between the companies means there is no app for Apple TV. You might be able to redirect play from an iPhone or iPad running Amazon Prime streaming in a Safari window out to the Apple TV via AirPlay, but I found that plugging a $40 FireTV stick into one of my HDTV's HDMI ports was an easy and worthwhile supplement to Apple TV in my home setup, even if only for simplifying Amazon Prime streaming.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#55 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:24 pm

If you have a 4K TV though, Amazon's original series (of which there are more and more) are streamed pretty beautifully in 4K/UHD and it's worth getting something 4K capable, if you're going to take the leap of getting another streaming box, though. Still totally puzzled as to why Apple's got a box that costs twice as much and isn't 4K capable. Easily the weakest part of their product lineup.

Being

Re: Roku, Apple TV, and Other Streaming Devices

#56 Post by Being » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 pm

I'm still trying to view Filmstruck on my LG TV, but unfortunately the Amazon Fire Stick is on back-order for a couple of weeks and I don't want to go with apple. I wish Filmstruck would accelerate integration with Chromecast and smart TV OS software, like Amazon and Netflix do.

I will echo what mfunk9786 said. The 4K streaming content from Netflix looks super great, especially the HDR Dolby Vision content, if you have an HDR or Dobly-Vision TV.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Streaming Devices

#58 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:27 pm

The update says it's already been fixed

Ribs

#59 Post by Ribs » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Well, that's good. Amazon just released Spike Lee's Pass Over which played at Sundance to positive notices, so I'm glad they got this fixed in time so that'll be in decent quality.

Ribs

#60 Post by Ribs » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:10 pm

Shout-out to Ovid.tv for somehow launching a streaming service without an iOS app

FrauBlucher

Cutting Cable

#61 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Need some help. I am looking to cut my cable (Fios). I don't watch many of channels offered. It really is a waste of money. I still want to be able to watch TCM (Roku I believe has this), BCC America, and SNY (NY Mets network) are the most important cable channels. What streaming device do folks recommend for quality and/or pricing? For the folks that have cut their cable I'd like to hear how you made your decisions. Thanks

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Cutting Cable

#62 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:30 pm

We cut cable a few years back (which was fine, since I literally only watched Food Network and the food shows on the Travel Channel) and just got HBO Go for Game of Thrones. I have friends who like Sling, which broadcasts live cable channels, and which I believe can be streamed via Roku. But between Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube (which I now, appropriately enough, mostly watch for the cooking programs) streaming on my Blu-ray player, I can't personally imagine needing more. I'm sure there's some kind of sports package for your team available from some service, right?

FrauBlucher

#63 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:46 am

Yes, after doing a little research NBC Sports app will give me a chance to watch Mets’ games. It looks like Roku may be the way to go as I can get TCM and BBC America through them.

My current cable/internet $168 (one box), that’s with me getting them to drop price ($10) via threatening to leave. If I can get the bill down to 100 a month I’ll be very happy.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Streaming Devices

#64 Post by Brian C » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:52 am

Can you watch cable sports broadcasts on the NBCSports app without a cable subscription to log in with? This is what’s kept me from cutting cable - not sure about the Mets’ situation specifically, but many sports teams have ownership stakes in the regional cable stations they’re broadcast on, and are therefore very unfriendly to cable cutters.

About half of the Cubs’ games are on NBCSports Chicago, and I have to use my cable login to stream those broadcasts. Just a warning to look into it before cutting the cord if that’s a priority to you.

FrauBlucher

#65 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm not sure but this sounds like this can work.... This is from SNY LIve Stream FAQs
Q: Can I access Mets and UConn games via a connected TV device?

A: Yes. Live streams of Mets and UConn games on SNY are available via the NBC Sports app on connected TV devices after first authenticating your subscription. The NBC Sports app is powered by Playmaker Media and is available on Apple iOS, Android and select Samsung devices, as well as on Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Win10 and Xbox.
If it wasn't for sports people would be disconnecting their cable in droves.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#66 Post by Brian C » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 pm

“After first authenticating your subscription”

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#67 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Your cable provider also may be able to give you a very basic cable service if you need it for streaming authentication— when we cancelled Comcast, they offered us a basic cable for like $5 a month (bundled with internet, as I assume it is for you and Fios)

FrauBlucher

#68 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Brian C wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:08 pm
“After first authenticating your subscription”
I thought that meant with the app and not the cable provider. I reached out to SNY to see what they suggest.

Brian, I got this off of the Sling TV website... Here... Click Sling Blue

FrauBlucher

#69 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:40 am

This was a reply from SNY..
“Thank you for contacting SNY. SNY is currently available on the below "OTT" streaming services:

YouTube TV
Sony Playstation Vue
Hulu Live TV
DirecTV Now
Fubo TV

SNY”

Best thing is to contact your local sports regional channel.