Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
eerik

Re: Fox Catalog Titles on Blu

#76 Post by eerik » Thu May 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Marilyn Monroe box-set and individual releases have been scheduled for 31st July in USA and Canada. Films included:
  • Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
  • The Seven Year Itch
  • There's No Business Like Show Business
  • River of No Return
  • How to Marry a Millionaire
Box-set will probably also include already released Some Like it Hot and The Misfits.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#77 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Considering its influential use of 'Scope, it's pretty ridiculous that the no-brainer of Bus Stop didn't make the Blu cut in any region

warren oates

#78 Post by warren oates » Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Like the Hawks and the Wilder(s), but on the fence about getting the whole set. Still, a title like River of No Return could push me over the cusp, as I've become very interested in Preminger lately. Forgetting Monroe's star appeal for a second, is this one any good as a film, a Preminger film and/or a Western?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#79 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 03, 2012 4:39 pm

warren oates wrote: Forgetting Monroe's star appeal for a second, is this one any good as a film, a Preminger film and/or a Western?
A weak example of all three to my eyes-- Preminger's not interested in engaging with the Western genre and his boredom shows. It's not a bad film but a minor one

warren oates

#80 Post by warren oates » Thu May 03, 2012 4:48 pm

domino harvey wrote:
warren oates wrote: Forgetting Monroe's star appeal for a second, is this one any good as a film, a Preminger film and/or a Western?
A weak example of all three to my eyes-- Preminger's not interested in engaging with the Western genre and his boredom shows. It's not a bad film but a minor one
Well, that's too bad. Of the Preminger films I've seen so far, my favorites have been the less famous ones like Where The Sidewalk Ends and even (relative to his other late career star laden epics) Advise and Consent.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#81 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 03, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm not sure what even rates as "famous" Preminger, to be honest, but he's def up there with the aforementioned Hawks and Hitchcock as the most essential Hollywood auteurs whose worst films still offer something of interest

knives

#82 Post by knives » Thu May 03, 2012 6:01 pm

I'll second Dom. River of No Return is the only one of his films that I've seen which comes across as completely uninspired though there are a couple of moments that work really well. It's an okay film, but doesn't really try to be anything more than that passable level and even that seems to only be achieved via the natural talent of those involved.

albucat

#83 Post by albucat » Thu May 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Preminger famously fought with the stars and the studio and didn't actually direct a fair amount of the picture. It has an entertaining dance number at the beginning, but other than that it's mostly a mess.

eerik

#84 Post by eerik » Fri May 04, 2012 7:43 am

Niagara, along with many other films, is just a DVD in that Japanese boxset.

eerik

#85 Post by eerik » Fri May 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Yes.

Blu-ray:
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Seven Year Itch
There's No Business Like Show Business
River of No Return
How to Marry a Millionaire
Some Like It Hot
The Misfits
All About Eve

DVD:
Let's Make Love
Bus Stop
Niagara
Monkey Business
We're Not Married
Don't Bother to Knock
Love Nest

manicsounds

#86 Post by manicsounds » Mon May 07, 2012 8:56 am

"Von Ryan's Express" is coming to France and Japan in June on Blu-ray.

Audio:
English DTS HD MA 5.1, Italian DTS HD MA 1.0, French, German DTS 5.1, Spanish, Thai DD 1.0 Mono

Subtitles:
English, Spanish, French, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Croatian, Greek, Hebrew, Icelandic, Mandarin, Thai, Turkish

Extras are the same as the 2-disc DVD release.

captveg

#87 Post by captveg » Wed May 09, 2012 2:36 am

^ Looks like a typical "World Wide" release. Wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in the US as an exclusive somewhere next month a la The Big Trail.

HJackson

#88 Post by HJackson » Fri May 25, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm with David on RIVER OF NO RETURN. It's certainly a more worthy film than BUS STOP (and features fewer disturbing borderline rape scenes).

manicsounds

#89 Post by manicsounds » Mon May 28, 2012 5:23 am

For anyone thinking about upgrading the 1953 "Titanic" DVD to the Blu-ray, the 90 minute "Beyond Titanic" documentary is not carried over.

eerik

#90 Post by eerik » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:33 pm

eerik wrote:Marilyn Monroe box-set and individual releases have been scheduled for 31st July in USA and Canada. Films included:
  • Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
  • The Seven Year Itch
  • There's No Business Like Show Business
  • River of No Return
  • How to Marry a Millionaire
Box-set will probably also include already released Some Like it Hot and The Misfits.
It is now officially announced and entitled as Forever Marilyn. Looks like it will be packaged in two digibooks/-packs.

Jeff

#91 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 pm

david hare wrote:Now for Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: to my enormous relief Fox seems to have revisited its restoration for the earlier SD and that annnoying darkness and thickness to the texture is now gone.
They are showing a newly restored Gentlemen Prefer Blondes at Venice, so this new Blu-ray is probably from that source.

manicsounds

#92 Post by manicsounds » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:47 am

Japan is the only country to release the box with 8 films. The 8th being "All About Eve"

Ashirg

#93 Post by Ashirg » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:20 pm

A couple of tweets of interest from Lou Lumenick last night from Fox's home video event:

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, WILD RIVER coming to Blu-ray in '13 as singles and as part of Blu-ray upgrade for Kazan set

Fox HE will introduce a director-oriented "Signature'' Blu-ray line this fall, beginning with Danny DeVito's WAR OF THE ROSES and HOFFA.

Fox will be reviving its venerable Studio Classics line on Blu-ray in 2013 with monthly releases.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#94 Post by Brian C » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:23 pm

That's all good news, I guess. I suppose that "introducing" the Signature line also includes putting the 4 already available as Best Buy exclusives into general release.

eerik

#95 Post by eerik » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:27 pm

NY post article mentions:
remastered Patton
Robert Mitchum collection
Denzel Washington collection
and more...

Cash Flagg

#96 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Mitchum only made five films for Fox, so presumably a box set would be comprised of:

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
The Enemy Below
The Hunters
Man in the Middle
What a Way to Go!

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#97 Post by Brian C » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:53 pm

A remastered Patton was rumored or perhaps even unofficially announced long ago, and it just now occurred to me that it's been a long time since I've heard any news. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they did something months ago like make it a Big Lots exclusive and not told anyone about it.

BillWatkins

#98 Post by BillWatkins » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:Mitchum only made five films for Fox, so presumably a box set would be comprised of:

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
The Enemy Below
The Hunters
Man in the Middle
What a Way to Go!
+White Witch Doctor, The Longest Day, and River of No Return...the latter 2 of course already being released on Blu.

Cash Flagg

#99 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:54 pm

My mistake - a Blu-ray of White Witch Doctor would be a truly unexpected treat!

felipe

#100 Post by felipe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Brian C wrote:A remastered Patton was rumored or perhaps even unofficially announced long ago, and it just now occurred to me that it's been a long time since I've heard any news. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they did something months ago like make it a Big Lots exclusive and not told anyone about it.
It was pretty much confirmed for 2011 but I guess they must've forgotten it.