The OOP Heads-Up Thread

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Movie-Brat

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#901 Post by Movie-Brat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:33 pm

I know it's not directed towards me but as someone who has seen it, I rather enjoyed. I at least do recommend it if you're curious as I do find it to be a unique entry in the franchise. There's some unintentional hokey things with the English dialect from some of the foreign actors as their reading tends to be a bit funny-unintentionally so.

But there are good ideas regarding Biollante and for a monster with limited movement, the fight scenes were pretty good. It's kind of mish mash of monster movies like Godzilla of course, Horror and espionage. It even introduces a recurring character throughout the rest of the Heisei series.

StevenJ0001

#902 Post by StevenJ0001 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Movie-Brat wrote:I know it's not directed towards me but as someone who has seen it, I rather enjoyed. I at least do recommend it if you're curious as I do find it to be a unique entry in the franchise. There's some unintentional hokey things with the English dialect from some of the foreign actors as their reading tends to be a bit funny-unintentionally so.

But there are good ideas regarding Biollante and for a monster with limited movement, the fight scenes were pretty good. It's kind of mish mash of monster movies like Godzilla of course, Horror and espionage. It even introduces a recurring character throughout the rest of the Heisei series.
Interesting, thanks! With regard to the "English dialect from some of the foreign actors," are you referring to the English dub? I'd probably be watching it in Japanese, at least initially.

Movie-Brat

#903 Post by Movie-Brat » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:44 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:Interesting, thanks! With regard to the "English dialect from some of the foreign actors," are you referring to the English dub? I'd probably be watching it in Japanese, at least initially.
Oh, watch the Japanese version definitely but I'm not kidding that non-Japanese actors were hired for the film.

StevenJ0001

#904 Post by StevenJ0001 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Movie-Brat wrote:
StevenJ0001 wrote:Interesting, thanks! With regard to the "English dialect from some of the foreign actors," are you referring to the English dub? I'd probably be watching it in Japanese, at least initially.
Oh, watch the Japanese version definitely but I'm not kidding that non-Japanese actors were hired for the film.
Oh, I see, thanks! Anyway, I ordered it from Amazon for $6 and change, so I can't go wrong! :D

dwk

#905 Post by dwk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:27 pm

According to the following exchange from Synapse's facebook page, someone has picked up some of those Echo Bridge Miramax titles:
Mark Pytel "Can't wait! Please tell me now that Echo Bridge supposedly does not have Miramax titles that you will look into Halloween 6...we need the Producer's Cut on dvd stat!"

Synapse Films "HALLOWEEN 6 will not be done by us, but it will be done by someone else."

Mark Pytel "Yes! That for sure is happeing? I understand if you can't say who, but you think it might be coming out as a Producer's Cut?"

Synapse Films "It is not for me to divulge the details about those Miramax catalog films. Now that they aren't with EBE, I have heard they went somewhere else (at least some of them anyway). I'm sure details will be revealed in due time if/when it does happen."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#906 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Shout would be a good guess: established branding for the Horror titles with Scream Factory and the prominent rest gets released via the mainline. Shout's one of the few midsize boutique labels who seem to be doing well enough lately to afford these holdings too

captveg

#907 Post by captveg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:34 pm

Hopefully they would release the Allen films through their main release schedule (unless they are with Miramax/Lionsgate and I'm remembering it wrong).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#908 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 pm

I don't know what happened to those, as they didn't go to Lionsgate or Echo Bridge. They're all available on region free Blu-rays from Sweden/Denmark/Norway area though if you can't wait

The Narrator Returns

#909 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Celebrity went with Echo Bridge, but I think it went out-of-print prior to this recent culling.

dwk

#910 Post by dwk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:56 pm

When the titles were up for licensing, Shout did bid on some of the Miramax titles. I wonder if Miramax's owners came to realize that going with the bargain basement, 8 films on one disc, Echo Bridge devalued their catalog.

Hopefully, if Shout did get these, they picked up the Hong Kong films and they can do what Cliff Mac tried to do while he was at BCI (who had licensed a number of them from Disney/Miramax, but were shut down before any of them were released) and release them uncut & in their original language.

Movie-Brat

#911 Post by Movie-Brat » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:03 pm

dwk wrote:When the titles were up for licensing, Shout did bid on some of the Miramax titles. I wonder if Miramax's owners came to realize that going with the bargain basement, 8 films on one disc, Echo Bridge devalued their catalog.

Hopefully, if Shout did get these, they picked up the Hong Kong films and they can do what Cliff Mac tried to do while he was at BCI (who had licensed a number of them from Disney/Miramax, but were shut down before any of them were released) and release them uncut & in their original language.
Let's hope that will be the case. Hell, maybe Walking and Talking will get a release from them.

dwk

#912 Post by dwk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:51 pm

Scream Factory said on facebook that they/Shout did not get the Miramax titles that Echo Bridge had.

Movie-Brat

#913 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:30 am

Well that's unfortunate. Then who has the rights? Unless Lionsgate really did get them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#914 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:30 pm

11 Harrowhouse
Streamers
Bunny Lake is Missing

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#915 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Oh, and Disney's Peter Pan. Given the marketplace for OOP Disney titles, might as well buy one even if you aren't a fan

fdm

#916 Post by fdm » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:19 am

domino harvey wrote:Oh, and Disney's Peter Pan. Given the marketplace for OOP Disney titles, might as well buy one even if you aren't a fan
Target has the blu-ray diamond edition on sale this week for $13. (Edit: For at least part of the week anyway, apparently this was another Target lots of stuff not really supposed to be on sale sale.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#917 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:11 Harrowhouse
Apparently there are a lot of new, sealed copies of this circulating that have holes punched through the barcode (which is underneath the plastic seal). Does anyone know what the deal is with this, or whether there are copies that don't have the holes?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#918 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 pm

My copy doesn't, I ordered it from DeepDiscount last year:

It just means they're "cut outs" (though a hole punch is usually what happens to CDs not DVDs)-- I'm surprised you haven't seen these kind of things before, they're unsold stock sent to second-hard retailers/marketplace sellers. If it's under the plastic wrap I assume whatever reseller you bought it off just rewrapped it afterwards (and be glad it wasn't saw-cut). If you bought it from a retailer, though, I'd try to exchange, as they shouldn't be selling it. But keep it because it's an amazing movie

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#919 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 pm

I've seen them before of course, though never under shrinkwrap, which is why I thought that there might be something different going on here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#920 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Maybe Grodin's character pulled off another wacky heist this time of the little circles of barcode paper

fdm

#921 Post by fdm » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Could be (old) reviewer and/or promo copies.

bamwc2

#922 Post by bamwc2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:15 am

Whoa! This is huge news! Domino has a pile of DVDs with Trial and Error on top? How wacky!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#923 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:56 am

This board is scarily good at IDing DVD and book covers with only a small portion visible

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#924 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:31 pm

SportsNight (Both complete series and season one)
Flower Drum Song
Winds of War (War and Remembrance also just went OOP last week)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#925 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 04, 2014 11:52 am

All of Image's Billy Jack releases