Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Pretty Much Every Paramount DVD is OOP

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Just won a brand new and sealed copy of the Chinatown Centennial Edition for $10 on eBay! If not for this discussion I wouldn't have known it was out of print.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:41 pm

That's one of the few titles I'm certain we'll see again. Now, something like Polanski's the Tenant, that might be worth getting a hold of (not for me though-- blech!)

Matt

#28 Post by Matt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:03 pm

It's not OOP yet, but I can't imagine it's long for this world: Michael Ritchie's Prime Cut, a very strange film that, despite all odds, really works.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#29 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:27 pm

More OOP Paramounts you may have forgotten:
You Can Count on Me
Heaven Can Wait (Beatty)
Is Paris Burning?
The Last Tycoon
Marathon Man
My Geisha
No Way to Treat a Lady
Ordinary People
Explorers
Pootie Tang
Ragtime
Romeo and Juliet (68)
the Talented Mr Ripley
Terms of Endearment
the Virgin Suicides
The Hours

Zombie-Luv

#30 Post by Zombie-Luv » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 pm

What the hell is going on? Is Paramount doing reissues to all of these and more or are they going out of print forever?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#31 Post by mfunk9786 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Even the non-anamorphic release of Private Parts is out of print (heads-up to Stern fans around here, however few)

Murdoch

#32 Post by Murdoch » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:42 pm

What the hell is going on? Is Paramount doing reissues to all of these and more or are they going out of print forever?
Most likely a few reissues on the bigger titles - Chinatown, maybe Rosemary's Baby if the remake happens - but the large majority of these are gone for good.

Interesting to see You Can Count On Me OOP, is it the newest title given the ax?

edit: No, Pootie Tang is :-&

Zombie-Luv

#33 Post by Zombie-Luv » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:45 pm

I guess that means a company like Lionsgate will pick them up, right?

wattsup32

#34 Post by wattsup32 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Murdoch wrote:
Most likely a few reissues on the bigger titles - Chinatown, maybe Rosemary's Baby if the remake happens - but the large majority of these are gone for good.

Interesting to see You Can Count On Me OOP, is it the newest title given the ax?
Do you mean gone for good on DVD, meaning they'll eventually get a blu-ray release? Or, do you mean dodo gone?

ianungstad

#35 Post by ianungstad » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:47 pm

Agree some of these titles will be reissued. They actually just reissued a new edition of Once Upon a time in the West in May. It's the same as the old dvd but with a new cover. I'm sure some of the other majors will follow suit.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#36 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah, some of these might be back on Blu, but most won't. Go ahead and wait it out, but if you really think you'll see No Way to Treat a Lady popping back up again, well, you go girl

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:54 pm

Mods, is it okay to start a Heads-Up OOP thread, because I'm finding some surprising non-Paramount stuff here too

Matt

#38 Post by Matt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:58 pm

domino harvey wrote:Mods, is it okay to start a Heads-Up OOP thread, because I'm finding some surprising non-Paramount stuff here too
Yes, please do. It's a very good idea, considering that this is just the beginning of our new reality.

Matt

#39 Post by Matt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Heavens to Murgatroyd! According to the Big DVD List at Michael's Movie Mayhem, Margot at the Wedding just went OOP. Now I'm pissed.

EDIT: I guess you can still get it in a 3-pack with two other random movies.

Here's the list of Paramount titles pulled since March 30. Double check these, though, as sometimes titles appear on here because of UPC changes and the like.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Another good Paramount title is the Polish Brothers' Northfork-- though I think I'm the only fan of these guys around here

Mr Sausage

#41 Post by Mr Sausage » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:Another good Paramount title is the Polish Brothers' Northfork-- though I think I'm the only fan of these guys around here
While I can't say I'm a fan, as I've only seen Northfork, I did like the latter greatly. Will have to see if I can find a copy.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#42 Post by Brian C » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:54 pm

I liked Northfork too.

Neil Young: Heart of Gold is OOP, which is really recent (2006).

Feego

#43 Post by Feego » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 am

knives wrote:The conversation is actually getting a rerelease in august, but not on Blu.
I already have the Paramount DVD, but will the Lionsgate edition retain the special features, particularly the commentaries by Murch and Coppola?

wattsup32

#44 Post by wattsup32 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:02 am

I don't keep up with the "industry' part of the film industry like you guys do. I just watch the films. Can someone educate me on the reason for the seemingly sudden influx of OOP DVDs? When I first started seeing OOPs I assumed it was to make way for Blus, but I am being told that the films are going OOP for good. Why is that?

And, Matt, out of curiosity, how does one make a living buying DVDs. That sounds like an awesome job.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:26 am

wattsup32 wrote:I don't keep up with the "industry' part of the film industry like you guys do. I just watch the films. Can someone educate me on the reason for the seemingly sudden influx of OOP DVDs? When I first started seeing OOPs I assumed it was to make way for Blus, but I am being told that the films are going OOP for good. Why is that?
B+M stores no longer carry most DVDs and for some studios, the costs of reprinting and storing their existing DVD line outweighs the profits to be had by charging for a non-physical copy of the film. Basically, the DVD market for classic films, which has always been pretty tight, has blown up thanks to a lot of factors, including the bad economy and the surge of Blu-ray

Jonathan S

#46 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:37 am

domino harvey wrote:Oh shit, than reminded me of that excellent John Wayne Century box with like fourteen movies in it. Ran over to Amazon and it's going for a shade under $200. I'm putting this baby in the safe
In the UK it's widely available under £18 - perhaps less for region-free Americans with VAT removal and the weak British pound. From this side of the pond, I don't quite understand the general degree of panic on these OOP threads (useful as they are), at least for the internationally available titles. But it may be a personal thing; I could happily live without all but a couple of the Paramount titles mentioned and, as I get older, I worry more about myself going OOP... :)

wattsup32

#47 Post by wattsup32 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:06 am

domino harvey wrote:
wattsup32 wrote:I don't keep up with the "industry' part of the film industry like you guys do. I just watch the films. Can someone educate me on the reason for the seemingly sudden influx of OOP DVDs? When I first started seeing OOPs I assumed it was to make way for Blus, but I am being told that the films are going OOP for good. Why is that?
B+M stores no longer carry most DVDs and for some studios, the costs of reprinting and storing their existing DVD line outweighs the profits to be had by charging for a non-physical copy of the film. Basically, the DVD market for classic films, which has always been pretty tight, has blown up thanks to a lot of factors, including the bad economy and the surge of Blu-ray
Thank you, Domino. It sounds like you are suggesting that the films might be available for download or "on demand" in the future, but I just won't be able to hold the artifact in my hands. Is that the gist of it?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#48 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 am

Yes. In fact, as far as the Paramount titles are concerned, that already is the case-- these OOP titles are all available via On Demand video streaming at Amazon

Finch

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vo

#49 Post by Finch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this but since Seconds was discussed a few posts before, here goes: I was lucky to buy the R1 on ebay for a very reasonable price; however, the seller no longer had the keepcase and artwork so I've got only the disc.

Would anyone who has the cover be kind enough to scan it for me and PM me? That would be very much appreciated!

Yojimbo

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vo

#50 Post by Yojimbo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Mr Finch wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this but since Seconds was discussed a few posts before, here goes: I was lucky to buy the R1 on ebay for a very reasonable price; however, the seller no longer had the keepcase and artwork so I've got only the disc.

Would anyone who has the cover be kind enough to scan it for me and PM me? That would be very much appreciated!
Finchy, I'll scan my cover for you but it might take a day or two to get it done as the 'office' is a bit disorganised at present, and my scanner is in another room