Universal Vault Series

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
colinr0380

Re: Universal Vault Series

#26 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:50 am

domino harvey wrote:
fdm wrote:There's also a(n incredibly cheap) version of The List Of Adrian Messenger at amazon/uk. (Had it in my basket a while, but never quite pulled the trigger.)
I've got it. The transfer is fine (anamorphic, etc) but the film is still a piece of shit. Worth it if you're a fan though
I thought, since I ran across my copy of it recently, that I would transcribe the introduction to List of Adrian Messenger that Mark Cousins did for a BBC Moviedrome screening of the film back in 1999. Hopefully it might help to mitigate somewhat for the lack of extras on these releases.
Robert Altman, who directed the similarly star studded Pret-a-Porter (shown on Moviedrome a couple of years ago), hero worshipped the director of tonight's picture, John Huston. There are parallels between the two men: both saw themselves in the mould of Hemmingway; both drank; both were accused of misogyny; left their first wives for the hard life; and both lived in Paris. After being a boxer, reporter and screenwriter Huston debuted as a director with The Maltese Falcon. He joined the army in 1942 and made a pair of brave and intense documentaries which were banned for many years. He won Oscars for The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and led Hollywood resistance to the McCarthy witchhunts with his friend Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. After making The African Queen he left America in protest at McCarthy and moved to Ireland.

He directed The List of Adrian Messenger in 1963. It came the year after Huston did The Misfits with Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable. The story was set in London but he moved part of it, the climax, to Ireland so that he could build in a fox hunt sequence.

Kirk Douglas, whose company Joel produced the film and who played the lead, says that it was this move to Galway which broke the momentum of the filmmaking and weakened the picture. He also takes part of the blame himself because, he says, that he did not have the time to focus on it. But he is underestimating it, I think. As with Altman I've never been a big admirer of Huston. I think he is more interested in ideas than movies and his work is not very visual, but he always knows a good yarn when he hears it, especially a fable with a touch of Kipling.

This one's an old style English whodunnit but with a twist. It was produced by Ed Lewis who came up with this twist: Frank Sinatra, Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis and Robert Mitchum all appear in disguise and only reveal themselves at the end. I cannot think of another movie where this happens, and some people found that it distracted from the mystery element. I think it's fun. It is fairly obvious which one is Mitchum but the others are tougher to guess. Elizabeth Taylor was to play a hairy, old male sailor and Mitchum says that Sinatra did not do his bit at all but just turned up for the unmasking.

Huston himself appears briefly near the end and the boy in the film is his son Tony, who would later write the film The Dead for his father. Tony recalls the filming as one of the few times that his father was physically affectionate with him. Huston gave a key role to Clive Brook, whose last film this was, and who worked with Dietrich in the 30s. He also brought Anthony Veiller who wrote the Lancaster version of The Killers out of retirement from the antiques trade to script it.

It is mostly an old fashioned and very entertaining film I think, though Kirk Douglas's speech about "the evil" is very John Huston and the director's touch of cruelty in the fox hunt, which echoes the horse sequences in The Misfits, gives it a very dark edge.

Finch

#27 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:06 am

Headsup for anyone else who was interested in the McCarey: my lovely other half and I watched Ruggles of Red Gap this morning and it looked quite acceptable: softer than CC's Make Way For Tomorrow disc but a clean print with no discernible damage, detail and contrast were okay, especially in close-up shots. Audio was reasonably clear. A/V-wise, it's on par with the Leisens (Easy Living more than Midnight), I'd say.

As for the disc itself: the film starts immediately with the Universal logo, so yes they haven't even bothered with a menu. No subtitles, no extras, nothing. The retail price is beyond the pale for what's on offer but I don't know of any alternatives (let alone better ones) and at least the print is more or less serviceable. For Laughton and McCarey fans it's a must-have.

Finch

#28 Post by Finch » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Screenshots are up here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/10471279991 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Finch on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 8 times in total.

triodelover

#29 Post by triodelover » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Ruggles of Red Gap is also available for download at the iTunes Store for US$9.99. I'm guessing it's the same transfer. Trailer looks quite good.

I like this from an Amazon reviewer:
On first viewing this seems an unlikely choice for a conservative film list...The realization that this menial, who has only arrived in America by sheerest chance, has been nurturing a
quintessentially American dream of freedom is improbably but profoundly touching and elevates a pretty good film into a classic.
Because the only possible dream of freedom is an American one, particularly for a "menial". He can dream of bussing tables at this clown's country club.

EDIT: Well, after making light of the America-centric review above, I'm embarrassed to say I forgot to check the Australian and UK stores where, of course, the film isn't available. :oops: #-o I love my Macs, but the control freak running the show is beginning to piss me off. :evil:

Miguel M Santos

#30 Post by Miguel M Santos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:47 pm

The film is available in France as L' extravagant M Ruggles. The link below is for the single edition, but it's also part of a box of McCarey's comedies.

http://www.amazon.fr/Lextravagant-M-Rug ... 513&sr=1-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HistoryProf

#31 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:29 am

Buttery Jeb wrote:So I guess a Criterion "Blue Collar" is off the table now.

-BJ
Son of a bitch. I just noticed this requested on Criterion's facebook page and checked amazon to see if it was still OOP only to see this piece of shit DVD-R garbage. This sucks. I was really really hoping this would end up a loaded Criterion release. It couldn't possibly be more timely, and it's really an under-rated gem from the 70s.

Finch

#32 Post by Finch » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:53 am

david hare wrote:Mr Finch's caps are very obviously cleaner and better than the French BAC disc. This looks like a goer.
Glad to hear the link worked.

fdm

#33 Post by fdm » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:22 pm

HistoryProf wrote:
Buttery Jeb wrote:So I guess a Criterion "Blue Collar" is off the table now.

-BJ
Son of a bitch. I just noticed this requested on Criterion's facebook page and checked amazon to see if it was still OOP only to see this piece of shit DVD-R garbage. This sucks. I was really really hoping this would end up a loaded Criterion release. It couldn't possibly be more timely, and it's really an under-rated gem from the 70s.
FWIW, there's a UK DVD available. No pos DVD-R garbage, and cheaper. [Can't yet comment on how PAL speedup effects the audio, perhaps I'll watch it tonight.]

Can anyone comment one way or another whether these Universal DVD-Rs are anamorphic? [UK's Blue Collar is.]

[Edit: The UK DVD looks great (to me, for a DVD); the PAL speedup is a bit evident in the voices, but pretty easy to ignore. Personally, no reason to pay twice as much, or more, for the U.S. DVD-R version.]

tojoed

#34 Post by tojoed » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:34 am

Here's a couple of screencaps from the French "Ruggles".

Upside: Introduction by Bernard Eisenschitz. Half the price of the Universal on Amazon.fr marketplace.
Downside: Clearly a lesser transfer than the Universal. Burned-in French subs.
You choose.

HistoryProf

#35 Post by HistoryProf » Sun May 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Anyone purchased Spawn of the North? that's the one I'm most interested in....but I really have a hard time justifying $18-$20 for a dvd-r.

perkizitore

#36 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Any news about new titles?

MoonlitKnight

#37 Post by MoonlitKnight » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 pm

perkizitore wrote:Any news about new titles?
Indeed. I'm hoping for "The Return of the Musketeers" so I can at least complete my Richard Lester Musketeers trilogy (even if it's definitely not as good as the first two). [-o<

"The Seven-Per-Cent Solution" in its OAR and, if Criterion has no plans on releasing them any time soon, "Comfort and Joy," "Life Is Sweet," and "King of the Hill" would be nice to see as well. :-k

Ashirg

#38 Post by Ashirg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:24 am

14 titles were added on Monday to Amazon. A bunch of re-releases...

New in region 1:
The Ballad of Josie (1967)
Eddie Macon's Run (1983)
A Lovely Way to Die (1968)
Man in the Shadow (1957)
Mass Appeal (1984)
Pete 'n' Tillie (1972)
The Virginian (1946)

Available in multi-disc sets or as extra with other films:
Blonde Venus (1932)
A Conversation with Gregory Peck (1999)
Morocco (1930)
Pittsburgh (1942)
Seven Sinners (1940)

Previously available from GoodTimes:
Raid on Rommel (1971)
Ulzana's Raid (1972)

Feego

#39 Post by Feego » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Ashirg wrote:14 titles were added on Monday to Amazon. A bunch of re-releases...

Blonde Venus (1932)
Morocco (1930)
???? #-o

Well, I guess that erases any hope of these titles ever being leased to Criterion. Just pick up the Dietrich Glamour Collection instead of these DVD-R rip-offs.

Murdoch

#40 Post by Murdoch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 pm

And pick it up fast, the fact that these two are now MOD has me worried for the future of the glamour line.

Ashirg

#41 Post by Ashirg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:00 am

I missed one title yesterday - Gregory La Cava's Lady in a Jam..

HistoryProf

#42 Post by HistoryProf » Sat May 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Just noticed that Sometimes A Great Notion is on DVD-R via this stupid series now. That's a film i've been waiting for since the inception of DVD, and this is how I get it. Any chance anyone has picked it up and can speak to the quality? Same goes for Blue Collar. It's been 2 years so i've given up hope on that coming from anywhere else in the U.S. (i'm region 1 limited - no need to tell me I shouldn't be).

knives

#43 Post by knives » Sat May 19, 2012 6:01 pm

There is a very good R2 edition that is probably significantly cheaper. If you are R1 limited than just download a VLC media player and your computer will play all regions and pal.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#44 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 19, 2012 6:16 pm

I seem to remember some folks on HTF picked it up, might be worth doing a check on their forums.

Also, now that I helped, let me offer a friendly dick reminder that a region free DVD player can be had for under forty dollars and the (very good) R2 disc for a few bucks more-- I suspect somewhere in the neighborhood of twice what you'd spend on the DVDR could do the trick for a full set-up and your movie, all told. Just sayin

HistoryProf

#45 Post by HistoryProf » Sat May 19, 2012 6:20 pm

a few titles i've noticed not listed here - continuing the bizarre range of choices, from Claudette Colbert and Marlene Deitrich to Pauly Shore and Vanilla Ice:

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution
Cobra Woman
The Secret War of Harry Frigg
The House of the Seven Gables
The Last Married Couple in America
The Prisoner of Zenda
Showdown
Coupe de Ville
Hands Across the Table
Seminole
Welcome Stranger
Rock & Read
Phantom of the Opera (1962)
September 30, 1955
The Devil is a Woman
Four Frightened People
Fellini's Casanova
The Seduction of Joe Tynan
Rough Night in Jericho
Tarantula!
The Cat and the Canary
Death of a Gunfighter
Leaving Normal
The Brink's Job
You Gotta Stay Happy
Gun for a Coward
Tomahawk
The Island (Michael Caine)
Games
Lady in a Jam
Here Come the Waves
It Ain't Hay
Bluebeard's Eighth Wife
The Other Side of the Mountain
The Other Side of the Mountain: Part Two
Scott Joplin
Cool as Ice
We're Not Dressing
Crackers
Waikiki Wedding
McHale's Navy
The Public Eye

HistoryProf

#46 Post by HistoryProf » Sat May 19, 2012 6:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:I seem to remember some folks on HTF picked it up, might be worth doing a check on their forums.

Also, now that I helped, let me offer a friendly dick reminder that a region free DVD player can be had for under forty dollars and the (very good) R2 disc for a few bucks more-- I suspect somewhere in the neighborhood of twice what you'd spend on the DVDR could do the trick for a full set-up and your movie, all told. Just sayin

link to this cheap region free player?

Though as i've said here before, my remaining region-locked has been largely a case of self-quarantine as there are hundreds of things I want that I CAN get here but can not afford to buy all. I fear opening myself to the world would result in the end of my marriage. :-$

Izo

#47 Post by Izo » Sat May 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Make sure you check around a bit before buying any of the Universal Vault Series titles. At the very least, the Terence Fisher/Hammer Phantom of the Opera, Tarantula!, and The Devil is a Woman have all been released on pressed discs in still-available boxed sets. I'm sure there are more.

Feego

#48 Post by Feego » Sat May 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Yes, several titles there are available on pressed discs in box sets. Specifically:

Hands Across the Table and We're Not Dressing are in the Carole Lombard Glamour Collection.

Phantom of the Opera is in the Hammer Horror Series Collection.

The Devil Is a Woman is in the Marlene Dietrich Glamour Collection. That set also includes Morocco and Blonde Venus, both of which have made their way to Unviersal's Vault Series.

Four Frightened People is in the Cecil B. DeMille Collection.

Tarantula! is in the Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection.

Bluebeard's Eighth Wife is in the Claudette Colbert Collection.

Here Come the Waves and Waikiki Wedding are in the Bing Crosby: Screen Legend Collection.

AfterTheRain

#49 Post by AfterTheRain » Sun May 20, 2012 12:29 am

Feego wrote:Yes, several titles there are available on pressed discs in box sets. Specifically:

Hands Across the Table and We're Not Dressing are in the Carole Lombard Glamour Collection.

Phantom of the Opera is in the Hammer Horror Series Collection.

The Devil Is a Woman is in the Marlene Dietrich Glamour Collection. That set also includes Morocco and Blonde Venus, both of which have made their way to Unviersal's Vault Series.

Four Frightened People is in the Cecil B. DeMille Collection.

Tarantula! is in the Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection.

Bluebeard's Eighth Wife is in the Claudette Colbert Collection.

Here Come the Waves and Waikiki Wedding are in the Bing Crosby: Screen Legend Collection.
Here's two that you forgot:

The Cat and the Canary is in the Bob Hope: Thanks for the Memories Collection.

Welcome Stranger is in the Bing Crosby Collection (Universal Backlot Series).

P.S. We're Not Dressing is in that collection as well.

MoonlitKnight

#50 Post by MoonlitKnight » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Haven't seen/heard any new announcements for this line in a while? Has it ceased to be? :-k