TCM Vault Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
George Kaplan

Re: TCM Vault Collection

#276 Post by George Kaplan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:22 pm

feihong wrote:Now if only Paramount can dig up Swing High, Swing Low for blu-ray release.
mistakaninja wrote:It's PD, so if anyone can dig up suitable elements they could do it.
That is very much to be hoped for! UCLA has the best surviving elements, including a 35mm print (which I saw again last year during their Leisen retrospective), and which was compiled using "an incomplete nitrate release print...and the three missing reels...blown up to 35mm" from Leisen's own 16mm print, according to David Chierichetti in his book "Mitchell Leisen: Hollywood Director", an essential book for anyone with a serious interest in Leisen.
This title will require a LOT of work before persuading any distributor to become interested.

christopher_NOBODY

#277 Post by christopher_NOBODY » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Only Angels Have Wings coming to blu via TCM Vault on Jan 24, 2015.
http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/p ... sku=B31031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#278 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:49 pm

Awesome!

EddieLarkin

#279 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:15 pm

These TCM discs are a nightmare to import into the UK. Shipping from TCM is a flat $30. Movies Unlimited's shipping is fair but they definitely declare by the book on the customs form; I was very lucky to dodge a £13 charge on The Lady from Shanghai. They turn up on Amazon.com eventually but at a ridiculous mark up. Any Brits know of other avenues?

mistakaninja

#280 Post by mistakaninja » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:23 pm

No. I went with MU for Lady From Shanghai too and also got lucky on the customs. I'll probably go with them again for Remember The Night. If it gets stopped it's more or less a wash on price, but I haven't had anything of $30 or so stopped in quite a while.

mistakaninja

#281 Post by mistakaninja » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:33 pm

MU sent out a 20% off email today and going through the link in the email it let me pre-order Remember The Night with the discount. Makes the disc $24, which is right on the cusp of the customs limit depending on the daily exchange rate.

EddieLarkin

#282 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks for pointing that out, I think I'll use it with Only Angels Have Wings. These coupon emails seem pretty common so I guess that's the answer I'm looking for!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#283 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:49 pm

From the Blu-ray news item
The Blu-ray release of Remember the Night is presented in 1080p with a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio Mono track. The film is initially being released as a TCM exclusive, but is expected to be available on Amazon in the coming months.

mistakaninja

#284 Post by mistakaninja » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:13 pm

That ties in with the MU availability date, which is early January. So TCM must be holding the exclusivity for the first couple of months.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#285 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Update: TCM has Only Angels Have Wings for a November 24th release date. They're also selling a DVD version

Extras are the usual thin TCM fluff:
Introduction by Robert Osborne
Publicity Stills
Scene Stills
Behind-the-Scenes Photos
Movie Posters
Lobby Card Set
Biography
Feature Article
Ben Burtt and Craig Barron Discuss Special Effects

EddieLarkin

#286 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:25 pm

So do we know if the date on MU is a mistake or do TCM have a period of exclusivity? I forget if this happened with The Lady from Shanghai or not.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#287 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:26 pm

January 24th is a Saturday, so it's probably a mistake on MU's part

mistakaninja

#288 Post by mistakaninja » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:27 pm

I don't think Shanghai was available on MU until the re-release, was it? The dates on MU for Remember and Wings are both similar periods after the TCM dates, so I'd say they reflect a period of exclusivity.

Perkins Cobb

#289 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Wow: I rented a couple of discs from the Noir Classics IV set via Classicflix (So Dark the Night and Walk East on Beacon), and they're unwatchable. Major aliasing any time anything moves. Looks like it was discussed on the HTF but not here, as far as I can tell. Supposedly affects all the films in the set, and TCM never admitted to the error.

Offhand, before I start looking, are there better sources (e.g. French or Spanish DVDs?) for any of the films? Johnny O'Clock, Walk a Crooked Mile, and Between Midnight and Dawn are the other three in the set. Some of the very few noirs I've never seen are in there, dangit.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#290 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:05 pm

I've only watched So Dark the Night from that set and there were no issues with my copy (and I'm not alone according to that thread)

Perkins Cobb

#291 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:30 pm

Yeah, it's so frustrating, just like conflicting Amazon reviews .... I can't tell if (1) the problem is universal and some people are oblivious to it (which seems impossible, because it's pretty obvious); (2) it's universal but some TV/player configurations are reducing or eliminating the defect; or (3) there are some bad copies and some good ones. It sounds like it's a bad transfer and therefore can't be (3), although if it were, I'd keep going until I got a good set.

Anyone else run into this?

matrixschmatrix

#292 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:32 pm

I watched Walk a Crooked Mile from that set, and it looked fairly ugly, but watchable (though the movie itself was a bigger problem than anything else.) I suspect it may be a universal problem that some viewers and sets are more sensitive to than others.

Finch

#293 Post by Finch » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Remember The Night BD gets 3 1/2 stars for the video
this is by and large a good looking transfer, albeit with some anomalies. The typical barb aimed at Universal's treatment of a lot of catalog material, the over aggressive use of digital noise reduction, is not as prevalent here as in some other releases, though there has apparently been both digital clean up and noise reduction applied. While grain is evident (spiking appreciably in things like dissolves), there's a just slightly digital look to this presentation, though it should be stated that there is still some noticeable damage as well that wasn't just obliterated willy-nilly with a preset digital paintbrush. For example, a small but recurrent (and at times persistent) scratch toward the center of the frame is still evident throughout much of what would have been the first reel. Contrast and clarity are both excellent, and in fact blacks are really luscious throughout the presentation (take a gander at MacMurray's jet black hair in some of the early courtroom shots, where it looks like it must be shellacked under a pound of Pomade). On the whole this is a pleasingly if not spectacularly sharp looking transfer, with some midrange shots lacking a wealth of detail
I think I'll stick with the TCM DVD. For me, this is not worth paying TCM's exorbitant prices for.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#294 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:04 pm

shaky wrote:So I just finished the DVD of Ford's THE LONG GRAY LINE which is part of the TCM John Ford Vault Collection set. Throughout 2/3s of the film, the image occasionally jitters, causing this strange kind of slowed down look. It's kind of hard to describe. What might this be? For those who own the set, have you had problems with this DVD as well?
I noticed that too. The 2002 Sony dvd doesn't have that problem and looks better.

mistakaninja

#295 Post by mistakaninja » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:27 am

I noticed a few days ago that the upcoming TCM releases (Remember The Night and Only Angels Have Wings) had vanished from MU, and today I got a refund email regarding my pre-order for Remember The Night, citing that the item was no longer available from the manufacturer. Both releases are still listed for pre-order at TCM, so looks like MU jumped the gun regarding the exclusivity period, or their deal to sell TCM blus has collapsed (they still have Lady From Shanghai available though). A pain for people looking to order internationally as TCM's non-domestic postage rates are a joke.

FrauBlucher

#296 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 pm

pointless

#297 Post by pointless » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:59 pm

The long out-of-print TCM exclusive Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics III is now available once more on TCM's website.

Their description page indicates that quantities are limited and are only selling one per customer.

moriam

#298 Post by moriam » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:13 am

pointless wrote:The long out-of-print TCM exclusive Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics III is now available once more on TCM's website.

Their description page indicates that quantities are limited and are only selling one per customer.
NB: I stumbled across the Noir III set on their site last week and ordered a copy. It arrived today, but it's 5 DVD-Rs in a single plastic keepcase, not pressed discs in the cardboard sleeve packaging like my copies of sets I, II and IV. I don't know if set III was always like this, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#299 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:40 am

Nope, was pressed discs in a digipak. So the rumor of Sony titles never going to burned discs is false apparently

Ashirg

#300 Post by Ashirg » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:53 am

All these sets including Sony's pre-code being sold at Amazon clearly marked as DVD-R