Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Der Spieler

Re: Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

#201 Post by Der Spieler » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:38 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Still crazy.
You can get the UK one for about 150$ shipped, which isn't as bad a deal, to say the least.

feckless boy

#202 Post by feckless boy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:37 am

eerik wrote:Warner already is planning their own box-set, as far as I know, which means that many people will have three identical discs of NBNW.
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but what titles can we expect to be included in a Warner box-set?

JonasEB

#203 Post by JonasEB » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 am

feckless boy wrote:
eerik wrote:Warner already is planning their own box-set, as far as I know, which means that many people will have three identical discs of NBNW.
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but what titles can we expect to be included in a Warner box-set?
This minus Foreign Correspondent (which Janus Films now has the rights to.)

jedgeco

#204 Post by jedgeco » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:24 pm

JonasEB wrote:
feckless boy wrote:
This minus Foreign Correspondent (which Janus Films now has the rights to.)
Has there been any official or unofficial confirmation that WB is working on all of its Hitchcock titles, beyond the 3 that are out/have been announced?

eerik

#205 Post by eerik » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 am

Universal Classic Monsters - The Essential Collection - October 2nd, 2012
  • Dracula (1931) - English & Spanish Versions
  • Frankenstein (1931)
  • The Mummy (1932)
  • The Invisible Man (1933)
  • The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
  • The Wolf Man (1941)
  • Phantom of the Opera (1943)
  • Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - 2D & 3D

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#206 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:53 am

And in sleeves, of course

Gregory

#207 Post by Gregory » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 am

Whoever put together the promotional stuff apparently didn't know that the Spanish "version" of Dracula is a completely separate film.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#208 Post by Drucker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 pm

[-o< please no dastardly manipulation/DNRing [-o<

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#209 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Gregory wrote:Whoever put together the promotional stuff apparently didn't know that the Spanish "version" of Dracula is a completely separate film.
I still think that's the correct word to use though, right?

eerik

#210 Post by eerik » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:56 pm

jedgeco wrote:Has there been any official or unofficial confirmation that WB is working on all of its Hitchcock titles, beyond the 3 that are out/have been announced?
It appears that Warner did not bother with other titles and they are just going to bundle three films together. Mubis.es has artwork for the boxset.

captveg

#211 Post by captveg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Warner does not see the market for the other Hitchcock titles they own on Blu.

eerik

#212 Post by eerik » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Gregory wrote:Whoever put together the promotional stuff apparently didn't know that the Spanish "version" of Dracula is a completely separate film.
Press announcement lists it as a "bonus feature".
captveg wrote:Warner does not see the market for the other Hitchcock titles they own on Blu.
You really think that? Warner has been releasing more catalog titles on Blu-ray than all the other big studios put together, including many "not so popular" films (e.g. Dead Ringer from their recent announcments). I'm sure they could sell enough copies of "minor Hitchcocks" at a reasonable price point.

Gregory

#213 Post by Gregory » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:56 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
I still think that's the correct word to use though, right?
Arguably, depending on how "version" is understood. I was just talking about how there are 9 films, not 8. I'm also not sure why they'd make the Spanish film a bonus, as it's generally considered superior to the English-language one. What really makes me grouchy is that Son of Frankenstein is not included here, as I think it's one of the best of all of the 30s Universal horrors.

Finch

#214 Post by Finch » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:04 pm

As tempting it is to pre-order, I think I'll hold off until both this and the Aussie Hitch set are down in price 6 months or so from shipping date.

vsski

#215 Post by vsski » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm with Finch, not only because they'll be cheaper 6 months down the road, but I really don't trust that Universal is not going to "over-DNR" the releases again.

And the same goes for the Horror set.

I was so excited at the beginning of the year when the announcement came out and disappointed with virtually every release to date that I bought or wanted to buy (and now have held off on buying anything else).

manicsounds

#216 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:39 pm

eerik

#217 Post by eerik » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:21 am

UK Classic Monsters boxset is only forty pounds on Play.com, but they don't have Spanish Dracula listed anywhere, so maybe that's not included.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#218 Post by Drucker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:57 am

I will plead total ignorance about whether I get most of the time if these featurettes bode well or poorly, but they don't mention grain manipulation...so that's ...a good thing?

jedgeco

#219 Post by jedgeco » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 am

Drucker wrote:
I will plead total ignorance about whether I get most of the time if these featurettes bode well or poorly, but they don't mention grain manipulation...so that's ...a good thing?
Based on the restoration featurette Universal put out a few months back, they're definitely not adverse to dipping into whatever digital toolbox available to them to "even out" film grain....

vsski

#220 Post by vsski » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:48 am

Then again, Dracula as envisioned by Madame Tussauds - a totally new experience, who is to argue?

How about Frankenstein as seen through the eyes of the makers of Final Fantasy!

captveg

#221 Post by captveg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:33 pm

eerik wrote:
captveg wrote:Warner does not see the market for the other Hitchcock titles they own on Blu.
You really think that? Warner has been releasing more catalog titles on Blu-ray than all the other big studios put together, including many "not so popular" films (e.g. Dead Ringer from their recent announcments). I'm sure they could sell enough copies of "minor Hitchcocks" at a reasonable price point.
Yes, for now. I'd personally love a Blu-ray of I Confess, but I don't see it happening soon. Maybe if they get their Blu-ray MOD program going.
Last edited by captveg on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilist

#222 Post by neilist » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:37 pm

eerik wrote:UK Classic Monsters boxset is only forty pounds on Play.com, but they don't have Spanish Dracula listed anywhere, so maybe that's not included.
I'd love it if it was included, but the Spanish version was dropped from the previous R2 releases of 'Dracula', so sadly I wouldn't be surprised if it also gets dropped here. £40 still sounds like a good price on this though.

knives

#223 Post by knives » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:43 pm

It's like colourless pastels.

Jeff

#224 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:16 am

eerik wrote:UK Classic Monsters boxset is only forty pounds on Play.com, but they don't have Spanish Dracula listed anywhere, so maybe that's not included.
And even less at Amazon. It does seem to be missing the Spanish Dracula, but at well under half the price of the U.S. set, I don't care.

knives

#225 Post by knives » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Yeah, I would be buying sets for these films if they were like the previous ones fitting the series together. I certainly would prefer the two you mentioned or Ghost of Frankenstein than The Wolfman. We'll probably get that later.