The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:26 am

Full specs announced:
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
A film by Tony Richardson
Starring Michael Redgrave and Tom Courtenay

This powerful British New Wave classic is re-issued on DVD and released on Blu-ray in new High-Definition transfers, alongside Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (Karel Reisz, 1960)

Colin (Tom Courtenay) is a defiant teenager who rebels against the system, refusing to follow his dying father into a factory job, railing against the capitalist bosses and preferring to make a living from petty thieving.

Sent to borstal, Colin discovers his talent for cross-country running. The borstal governor (Michael Redgrave) offers him the chance to redeem himself in a race against a local public school, and tensions build as the day approaches…

Following the huge success of Karel Reisz’s Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Alan Sillitoe adapted another of his own works for the screen. Newcomer Tom Courtenay is compelling as the sullen, disillusioned delinquent in this British New Wave classic, a passionate, explosive tale of rebellion.

Special features
• Commentary by film historian Robert Murphy, with lead actor Tom Courtenay and writer Alan Sillitoe
• Video essay by cinematographer Walter Lassally
Momma Don’t Allow (1956), Tony Richardson’s Free Cinema documentary shot by Walter Lassally
• Illustrated booklet including essays and biographies

Release date: 23 March 2009
RRP: DVD £17.99 / cat. no. BFIVD785 / Blu-ray £22.99 / cat. no. BFIB1003
UK / 1962 / black and white / 104 mins / cert 12 / aspect ratio 1.78:1
Optional subtitles for the hearing-impaired
I'll confirm when I get check discs, but I believe everything on the Blu-ray is in HD (i.e. including Momma Don't Allow).

Der Müde Tod

Re: The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner

#2 Post by Der Müde Tod » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:08 pm

It's excellent news to see this film getting the treatment it deserves. Bad news for me, because I planned to skip Blu-ray.

Matt

#3 Post by Matt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:48 pm

Der Müde Tod wrote:It's excellent news to see this film getting the treatment it deserves. Bad news for me, because I planned to skip Blu-ray.
Same features on the new DVD.

Lazertron

#4 Post by Lazertron » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:58 am

Der Müde Tod wrote:It's excellent news to see this film getting the treatment it deserves. Bad news for me, because I planned to skip Blu-ray.
This was actually the first BFI (and BFI Blu-ray) release I bought through Amazon and I was really in awe because of the outstanding work done in picture restauration. Sound is also very crisp but I couldn't get completely used to the soundtrack, which I felt unfitting in some places.

I didn't know the film beforehand so it was a blind buy for me, but my wife and I loved this movie.

JPJ

#5 Post by JPJ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 am

Blu-ray version of The Loneliness...seems to be out of print.Does anyone(MichaelB??)know if it's coming back at some point??

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:48 am

JPJ wrote:Blu-ray version of The Loneliness...seems to be out of print.Does anyone(MichaelB??)know if it's coming back at some point??
All the BFI's single-disc Blu-ray editions released prior to summer 2010 are going OOP, to be replaced by Dual Format editions. I don't have a date yet for this particular title, but I'd assume it's sooner rather than later, especially as it won't require any reauthoring.

JPJ

#7 Post by JPJ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for the quick reply Michael!Asking prices are a little bit too steep at the moment so it's good to know it's coming back eventually.

eerik

#8 Post by eerik » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:20 am

JPJ wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Michael!Asking prices are a little bit too steep at the moment so it's good to know it's coming back eventually.
I guess you missed the sales when those releases went out of print. Many BFI titles were available for £5 or even less.

JPJ

#9 Post by JPJ » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:31 am

eerik wrote:
JPJ wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Michael!Asking prices are a little bit too steep at the moment so it's good to know it's coming back eventually.
I guess you missed the sales when those releases went out of print. Many BFI titles were available for £5 or even less.
I didn't miss it but Amazon cancelled my order!!Guess they were sold out by then..

djvaso

#10 Post by djvaso » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:17 am

Werewolf by Night

#11 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:37 pm

This is listed as a pre-order on Amazon UK with a new cover and a release date this month. Is it just a reissue/repackage?

Ashirg

#12 Post by Ashirg » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:56 pm

EAN number is the same, so I think it's just a repackage like other repackages coming same day.